Main Menu

The Shadow Line

Started by dweezil2, 20 May, 2011, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

A new topic to big up up this gripping BBC2 crime drama

Superb performances from all involved and an intense atmosphere it's really one of the finest things I've seen on TV since Edge Of Darkness.

Give it a go if Cop/Crime dramas are your bag.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

uncle fester

Just caught up with the third episode on iPlayer. It's superb.

Jay Wratten has to be the most evil bastard to crawl out of a BBC drama script.

Jim_Campbell

I'm thoroughly enjoying it but, as I commented on Twitter, Pendleton casts a long shadow over British TV drama...

QuoteJay Wratten has to be the most evil bastard to crawl out of a BBC drama script.

There's a palpable sense of relief in our house every time we get to the end of a scene he's in without his having done something appalling.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

I never usually get into these sort of dramas, but I'm loving this one. Rafe Spall is wonderfully psychotic, Ecclestone is marvelous as ever, top performances all round. Bit confused this week - have we been told [spoiler]who the bloke with the gun is who had the fight with the woman copper? or who that gatehouse bloke is? [/spoiler]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 May, 2011, 03:23:53 PM
Bit confused this week - have we...

... Pretty sure the answer is "No" to both of those.

Cheers

Jim

Dandontdare

ah - wasn't sure if I'd missed something or if it was still to be revealed.

After episode one I was convinced that [spoiler]the amnesiac copper would turn out to be the missing Mr Big[/spoiler] but I'm starting to think that's a wee bit far-fetched!

uncle fester

Bit of a slow burner this week, but intriguing all the same. Almost felt a twinge of sympathy when [spoiler]the journalist was promoted in an obvious way to stop him sniffing around - indicating there are a lot more folks who don't want the extra attention. [/spoiler]

Goaty

BEEP!

How brilliant scene was that???

Jim_Campbell

And, speaking of Pendleton...

Cheers

Jim

Rogue Reader

Yes I have been catching up with it on Iplayer, and it is a nice slow burner but it is a bit confusing at times, lots of long meaningful staring.
It too me a while to work out who were the cops and who were the cooks.
But its nice to see a drama take its time to tell its story and not feel it has to be action packed.
I think the edge of darkness comparison is just.

mygrimmbrother

It seems to be trying a bit too hard if you ask me (not that any of you were).

dyl

Was getting really into it but it seems to have slightly jumped the shark with the latest ep. Got a feeling it's just going to descend into everyone shooting each other type ending a bit like red riding did.

uncle fester

Well!

That's no way to treat your [spoiler]long-disappeared boyfriend/gangster/crook[/spoiler] is it?! And there I was thinking [spoiler]"What is Petra Mayler in this story for...?"[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Bit of a miraculous recovery in the final reel though...[/spoiler]

Dark Jimbo

Still loving this series, but as Jonah started putting the pieces together last night, I admit to getting a bit lost as to who had done what to whom and why, even though he was explaining it to other characters.
@jamesfeistdraws

MIKE COLLINS

Just caught up with the last episode, and ....really? [spoiler]it's protecting police pensions, so the hero must die- killed by his obviously working for the bad guys sidekick, no really?![/spoiler]

Rafe Spall really got sidelined which was a pity as he carried such menace early on. Maybe Hugo Blick was juggling a few too many characters in this. Stephen Rea was excellent as ever and what we had of Anthony Sher was good if uneven [spoiler]you live in Dublin for 20 years and your accent sounds like a Dick Emery character?[/spoiler].

My main problem with the show was the stage-y-ness-- everyone staring forward significantly. I kept thinking 'don't be so rude,  turn round and look at the nice man when he's talking to you!'

And did no one, ever, have a laugh?