Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Ordered Jupiter Ascending on Box-Office-Network the other night on the television in my room and couldn't make much sense of it because it's been a few months now that I had lost the remote control that adjusts the volume on my set-up.

This is kind of annoying because I don't normally use this remote control to change the channels on it. There are two remotes, one that changes the channels and the other for switching off the monitor and volume.
Aside from that, there are five cable remote when I last found them all and two of them are universal and the other three are either not working or need new batteries. It's quite bothersome that I can't find the television remote, because even when I switch the cable box off, the television is still technically switched on . Even though the screen is then blank.

Anyway, I watched this film in dribs n drabs from early evening til early morning while on the computer and though that it might have been good except that I couldn't follow it much at all, because they were broadcasting the film at such a low volume and I couldn't even adjust this......yes, there are sub-titiles, but who wants to read a film.

So, I ordered the film again, but this time on the television in the lounge-room and that was last night. I only watched it once and still missed a lot of it. Due to extreme need for sleep. 

Being a Waichowski-siblings film, I had high hopes.... and some of them were met, but it also gave me the impression of trying to be several things in couldn't be in such little time. This is another film that might been down better justice over the course of a trilogy or more. 

There was hints of Star-Wars (The earlier and newer trilogy...), Flash Gordonm John Carter of Mars (This last reference because it was another film that might have been better as a trilogy or television series....)  and with regards to those reptilian things which I said before do remind me more of those Draconians from the very well known world of Dragonlance (Krynn, Dungeons & Dragons...) even though I'm sure they or just it may have more to do with David Ick's alien reptile race and Channing Tatum's is a Lycanthrotant  :lol: :P :lol:[/b] (Which is either this film 's version of the Vargr from the Travellar R.P.G. or Dog-Boy from Paladium-Rifts (Another R.P.G. that has been largely ignored by the film industry, except with this film which seems pretty darn close to it.!) . Anyway, I'm not really convinced of his lupin heritage without the relevant application of prosthetic's or even trying do any thing like use keen sense for tracking (Instead of those really cool gadgets!)  over extremely long distances that might involve different galaxies and the system within them and the occasional howling at the full moons. Yet he really appears to be some sort of space-age-half-elf with pointy ears and goatee-beard. I think they even shaved his eyebrows to give him less wolf-man appeal. Because normally they are famed for the eyebrows or mono-brow. Anyway, that is the most unconvincing wolf-man ever. Even the one I portrayed in that game I keep talking about in the games forum was less on machinery and more on primal-urges.

I definitely want his hover-shoes.

Now I love looking Mila Kunis is like a kitten without fur in all the obvious places and that name...Jupiter Jones sounds a bit like Halo Jones and even though I've never read it. I'm pretty sure it's about some girl who....you know the story if you use this forum .

Stinger/Sean Bean who is a half-Han-Solo and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w ] half-bee
(I had to read this in another review here, because I couldn't tell in the film!)  and actually survives in this film. I might have been more convinced of his stranger heritage if he had some sort of uniform with black and yellow stripe and would make insert buzzing noises every now and then.

The evil brother, one of which was that really smart Hawkins fellow from another film minus the wheel chair and the other who had that zero-g bed or pod filled with young ladies.

I want one of those with the ladies included.

This review might have been better, but right now my internet sucks.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 June, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

The evil brother, one of which was that really smart Hawkins fellow from another film minus the wheel chair and the other who had that zero-g bed or pod filled with young ladies.

I meant Hawkings, and not the attractive female celebrity of similar name.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: pictsy on 28 June, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies

I sincerely hope that The Silmarilion is not on the cards.  It is clear that The Hobbit made many compromises in it's story and it's visuals (the CGI adds very little and tends to be a distraction).  The Silmarilion would just end up being a horrifying mess.

I asked about this here..... Tolkien Online[/b and they told the what's left of the Tolkien family have never agree to seel the rights for Silmirillion to be ever made into film or a television series any other type of production.

I found awesome fan made trailer for it though.....

ThryllSeekyr

DAMN, THAT DIDN'T COME OUT RIGHT....

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 June, 2015, 10:54:24 AM

I sincerely hope that The Silmarilion is not on the cards.  It is clear that The Hobbit made many compromises in it's story and it's visuals (the CGI adds very little and tends to be a distraction).  The Silmarilion would just end up being a horrifying mess.

I asked about this here..... Tolkien Online[/b and they told the what's left of the Tolkien family have never agree to seel the rights for Silmirillion to be ever made into film or a television series any other type of production.

I asked about this here..... Tolkien Online and they told the what's left of the Tolkien family have never agree to seel the rights for Silmirillion to be ever made into film or a television series any other type of production.

Professor Bear

It's fun to shite on things, but occasionally it's just as fun to say people done well getting everything together, and such is the case with Army Of Frankensteins.  I wish it was about a half hour shorter, and also a bit funnier to offset that the cast don't seem too into it (with the odd exception like Abraham Lincoln and the Blofeld-like Confederate officer), but it's a good bit of schlock z-movie  nonsense.  The tendency is to not give such movies any credit because they use CGI models instead of stock footage/matte paintings, and they're shot in high definition so they look a bit like any other video on Youtube, but it helps to give them some credit for coming up with daffy ideas like this one, forming them into a narrative, and then going out and making a movie.
Not life-changing, but still a good example of contemporary no-budget film-making.

Recrewt

My quick review; they should have just made two films.

I enjoyed both the previous films, but this one just does not live up to them.  The battle did not seem to capture the feeling portrayed in the book at all.  I have given these films a hell of a lot of leeway when it comes to artistic license, but my impression is that there was little artistry involved in this aspect.  Peter Jackson can do battles and it is certainly wise for him to veer away from what he did in LotR.  It struck me that it was just decided to veer entirely away from the battle after a lacklustre and samey approach kicking it off.  A different directorial approach would have been sufficient and preferable.  It also went on too long.  For the running time we don't really get much.  Compared to the previous two films, which are content heavy, this is way too light.  My impression is that there was more content for two films, but not enough for three. 

I saw this at the cinema and still wish to this day that once Smaug was dealt with, I had got up and walked out. 

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Recrewt on 29 June, 2015, 10:51:39 PM

My quick review; they should have just made two films.

I enjoyed both the previous films, but this one just does not live up to them.  The battle did not seem to capture the feeling portrayed in the book at all.  I have given these films a hell of a lot of leeway when it comes to artistic license, but my impression is that there was little artistry involved in this aspect.  Peter Jackson can do battles and it is certainly wise for him to veer away from what he did in LotR.  It struck me that it was just decided to veer entirely away from the battle after a lacklustre and samey approach kicking it off.  A different directorial approach would have been sufficient and preferable.  It also went on too long.  For the running time we don't really get much.  Compared to the previous two films, which are content heavy, this is way too light.  My impression is that there was more content for two films, but not enough for three. 

I saw this at the cinema and still wish to this day that once Smaug was dealt with, I had got up and walked out.

That's a really short movie...then!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Recrewt on 29 June, 2015, 10:51:39 PM

As some wag pointed out, the real title should have been "The Hobbit: All the boss fights".  I enjoyed it for what it was (which is not what it should have been).

Anyway...

ONE DAY
So sue me, I like David Nicholls books. And this was OKish - carried mainly by Anne Hathaway but had some big problems in particular that Jim Sturgess half of the romance is a complete and utter cock.  Which actually makes the film a sort of intriguing "Why would she?" (like a "Whodunnit?") and it's only in the final flashbacks that they reveal why she might have possibly spent time on him.

FURY
Rewatched this very brutal and honest war film about life in a tank at the arese-end of WWII when there seems to be no reason to carry on fighting.  We reviewed it in detail up thread when I think I was the only person in the world who went to see it in the cinema.

The extras reveal that for the special effects of the tanks in combat, they used an innovative technique of just getting real tanks and driving them about fields in Oxfordshire! Radical!  (I know, that probably only accounts for about 30% of the finished shots but it was a blast to see a real Tiger driving about the country side).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Daveycandlish

The Medusa Touch

70's movie starring Richard Burton and Lee Remick - he believes he can cause death and destruction just by thinking of them, she's his shrink who doesn't believe him. Cue a dozen British character actors being given the evil eye by him before being bumped off...

Entertaining mish mash of Omen-type horror/disaster movie/whodunnit, with lots of 'What's he called again?' moments - worth a watch if you get the chance.

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 June, 2015, 12:08:40 PM
FURY
Rewatched this very brutal and honest war film about life in a tank at the arese-end of WWII when there seems to be no reason to carry on fighting.  We reviewed it in detail up thread when I think I was the only person in the world who went to see it in the cinema.
Nah. I saw it ins Kino.
We never really die.

pictsy

The Karate Kid.  I had not seen this film since my childhood.  I had fond memories of it.  I was really surprised how well this film held up over the years.  It's a pretty good story that is well told with good performances.

The Last Emperor.  Now this was a very interesting movie.  I was expecting this to be a glorification of the last Emperor of China and a total condemnation of Chairman Mao's People's Republic.  As the movie progressed I found that it was a lot more even handed than my expectations.  The Emperor is certainly the entire focus of the film, and it was interesting experiencing changes in my sympathies towards the character; at times finding absolutely nothing to sympathise with.  It challenged my preconceptions from the start and continued to challenge what I thought of what was going on throughout.  In the end I did not know what to think when presented with a sequence of complex social situations.  I think it is because of this that the Emperor ended up coming across as all too human.  It's safe to say I enjoyed it.

radiator

QuoteThe Karate Kid.  I had not seen this film since my childhood.  I had fond memories of it.  I was really surprised how well this film held up over the years.  It's a pretty good story that is well told with good performances.

I saw this for the first time recently - one of those iconic films for my generation that I'd somehow managed to avoid seeing until now.

It reminded me very much of Rocky - a really sweet little film, and a really a nice little character study (with surprisingly little fighting). And like Rocky, it's the sequels where it all gets a little silly.

ThryllSeekyr

Saw the film Wild last fortnight and regretted it. Very depressing, for not doing this, hiking or backpacking across America and it does go ever so slightly....gross. Like , I really needed to see that and after while reasoned that it may have belonged to the fox. Which appeared to be stalking her all the way through he adventure. Reese Withespoon one of the faces of Avon (My mother was Avon Lady!) and not as cute as she was, but still okay looking.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 29 June, 2015, 12:49:15 AM
Ordered Jupiter Ascending on Box-Office-Network the other night on the television in my room and couldn't make much sense of it because it's been a few months now that I had lost the remote control that adjusts the volume on my set-up.

This is kind of annoying because I don't normally use this remote control to change the channels on it. There are two remotes, one that changes the channels and the other for switching off the monitor and volume.
Aside from that, there are five cable remote when I last found them all and two of them are universal and the other three are either not working or need new batteries. It's quite bothersome that I can't find the television remote, because even when I switch the cable box off, the television is still technically switched on . Even though the screen is then blank.

Anyway, I watched this film in dribs n drabs from early evening til early morning while on the computer and though that it might have been good except that I couldn't follow it much at all, because they were broadcasting the film at such a low volume and I couldn't even adjust this......yes, there are sub-titiles, but who wants to read a film.

So, I ordered the film again, but this time on the television in the lounge-room and that was last night. I only watched it once and still missed a lot of it. Due to extreme need for sleep. 

Being a Waichowski-siblings film, I had high hopes.... and some of them were met, but it also gave me the impression of trying to be several things in couldn't be in such little time. This is another film that might been down better justice over the course of a trilogy or more. 

There was hints of Star-Wars (The earlier and newer trilogy...), Flash Gordonm John Carter of Mars (This last reference because it was another film that might have been better as a trilogy or television series....)  and with regards to those reptilian things which I said before do remind me more of those Draconians from the very well known world of Dragonlance (Krynn, Dungeons & Dragons...) even though I'm sure they or just it may have more to do with David Ick's alien reptile race and Channing Tatum's is a Lycanthrotant  :lol: :P :lol:[/b] (Which is either this film 's version of the Vargr from the Travellar R.P.G. or Dog-Boy from Paladium-Rifts (Another R.P.G. that has been largely ignored by the film industry, except with this film which seems pretty darn close to it.!) . Anyway, I'm not really convinced of his lupin heritage without the relevant application of prosthetic's or even trying do any thing like use keen sense for tracking (Instead of those really cool gadgets!)  over extremely long distances that might involve different galaxies and the system within them and the occasional howling at the full moons. Yet he really appears to be some sort of space-age-half-elf with pointy ears and goatee-beard. I think they even shaved his eyebrows to give him less wolf-man appeal. Because normally they are famed for the eyebrows or mono-brow. Anyway, that is the most unconvincing wolf-man ever. Even the one I portrayed in that game I keep talking about in the games forum was less on machinery and more on primal-urges.

I definitely want his hover-shoes.

Now I love looking Mila Kunis is like a kitten without fur in all the obvious places and that name...Jupiter Jones sounds a bit like Halo Jones and even though I've never read it. I'm pretty sure it's about some girl who....you know the story if you use this forum .

Stinger/Sean Bean who is a half-Han-Solo and [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w ] half-bee
(I had to read this in another review here, because I couldn't tell in the film!)  and actually survives in this film. I might have been more convinced of his stranger heritage if he had some sort of uniform with black and yellow stripe and would make insert buzzing noises every now and then.

I want one of those with the ladies included.

This review might have been better, but right now my internet sucks.

I totally missed seeing Monty Python's Terry Gilliam in a scene that has been said by other critics was reminiscent of Brazil (Now, I get it about those wings.....).

Read more about it here

Still don't think Boromir Stark looks anything like a Honey-Bee.

Or Jupiter looks as fat as her name sake.

IBTW it was last Saint Patricks Day night and early next day I though I saw someone that looked a lot like her sitting on bench out side one of those seedy-dance-halls I frequent when I have the money to spare. I was refused entry because I forgot to change out of my grey-ugg-boots. I've a celebrity lookalike or two working inside.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 July, 2015, 02:47:55 AM

Or Jupiter looks as fat as her name sake

Sorry, I meant she isn't fat, like her namesake.