Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Tordelback on 12 April, 2016, 12:42:34 PM
I could probably get you one of those museum humidity monitors on the cheap. https://youtu.be/TNUtreybeVE

Will it be mint in the box?

Mikey

3A's Mongrol looks like how McMahon drew him. 3A's Death looks like how Bolland drew him. 3A's Sam Slade looks like Gibson drew him etc etc. Mezco Dredd looks like Mezco Dredd - and it's a great figure, but despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth I've stupidly done in the past about 3A X 2000ad, they really do hit the spot right on the nail with the figures in my opinion. Their scaling of the details on figures of non existent comic characters has yet to be beaten I reckon.

But then I just like to pose 'em and stick 'em on a shelf to admire and take occasional pics of.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

teckno viking

Quote from: Mikey on 12 April, 2016, 08:47:09 PM
3A's Mongrol looks like how McMahon drew him. 3A's Death looks like how Bolland drew him. 3A's Sam Slade looks like Gibson drew him etc etc. Mezco Dredd looks like Mezco Dredd - and it's a great figure, but despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth I've stupidly done in the past about 3A X 2000ad, they really do hit the spot right on the nail with the figures in my opinion. Their scaling of the details on figures of non existent comic characters has yet to be beaten I reckon.

But then I just like to pose 'em and stick 'em on a shelf to admire and take occasional pics of.

M.

Wholeheartedly agree that ThreeA did hit the mark but let's Not forget the key thing, we are buying an Action Figure which in it's very name means Action, Pose-able & Articulated.
If we wanted statues, well we now have a great crop of Dredd statues out there on foot and on Lawmasters.

We grew up with either the 2000ad Paper/cardboard Dredd et al or made our own customs.
Now we have MEZCO and ThreeA doing them for us and putting ReAction and Hasbro to shame in the level of detail they both have put into these 2000ad figures.

We just want an Action figure that truly looks like they jumped out of 2000ad and fully playable.
MEZCO have shown it is indeed Possible even if not based on one of the classic versions of DREDD.

Fingers crossed for Drokking ZARJAZ epicness from ThreeA as it certainly looks like the figure has stepped out But we All have that BIG question of is it Playable/Pose-able/Articulated?

Krakajac

"He's on display in a bookshelf, in a cool room, out of direct sunlight."

Yep, mine is inside a display cabinet, in a cool room with no sunlight.  I put it down to the weather we sometimes get here in Queensland, Australia.  I'll keep my eye out for a 'new' one - but I'm not expecting to get one cheap.

Dreddzilla

Mezco Dredd looks like Mezco Dredd

Well, it is based off of 2000AD artist Ben Willsher's Judge Dredd (I believe both Mez and Rebellion confirmed that) However that's not the look many Judge Dredd fans were wanting. I think something closer to like an Ezquerra or Bolland or even Staples would have been preferred.

SIP

M.

But isn't mezco dredd based on wilshers rendition of dredd? I wasn't sold on mezco dredd when I first saw it,  but having it in hand completely changed my opinion,  its just great.

I haven't knocked 3as character renditions,  just how robust the build quality is.  My Judge death is proudly displayed,  i pre ordered dredd on his lawmaster and fear on the strength of death. I think it's a fair point to make when I'm paying a premium price.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: SIP on 12 April, 2016, 11:28:00 PM

M.

But isn't mezco dredd based on wilshers rendition of dredd? I wasn't sold on mezco dredd when I first saw it,  but having it in hand completely changed my opinion,  its just great.

Yes, both Mez and Rebellion confirmed the Wilsher inspiration for the figure.

Mikey

Oh aye, I know Willsher was on duty for Mezco and I love his Dredd, but I don't reckon it looks like his depiction as such. The Lawmaster otoh looks just like it does on the page and is lush.

The point I was making really is that for me, they're primarily for display and I view them as poseable 3d versions of the comic characters - closer to the idea of art than action figures. If there's QC issues that's a different matter.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SIP

Quote from: Mikey on 13 April, 2016, 10:51:12 AM
Oh aye, I know Willsher was on duty for Mezco and I love his Dredd, but I don't reckon it looks like his depiction as such. The Lawmaster otoh looks just like it does on the page and is lush.

The point I was making really is that for me, they're primarily for display and I view them as poseable 3d versions of the comic characters - closer to the idea of art than action figures. If there's QC issues that's a different matter.

The qc issues are strange on premium figures though.  I pay £200 a go for hot toys figures and have regularly had to glue bits back on! It tends to be that the more detailed and realistic these things get,  then the more fragile they become.  Mezco however have managed to avoid this with their dredd. It's extremely solid.  If you have had it in hand you will know exactly what I mean.  They have sold me on the line completely and I'm now looking at their upcoming figures with great interest.  Their batman v superman and punisher figures look fantastic. 

teckno viking

Ahh Hot Toys a toy line that used to be £100 per figure till the "COLLECTORS" came along treating toys as investment pieces.
That was a sad turn of events with such a knock on effect :(
We did have in the 90s so many Excellent 1/6th brands.  However i digress.

ThreeA make articulated figures and as said hopefully with the Body mods they have done for DREDD it is a more durable body.  Mezco as said have shown it is feasible to do Articulated and detailed in one package. The bar is set.

The key winning feature for threeA however is the style they went with for both figure and lawmaster, winning combo right there.

I think more than anything is this lack of comms to the customers on the pre-orders that has backs up.
With a kickstart you know you are looking a year or so, however No matter how big they are or not ThreeA is an established business and when they post a Pre Order with date, they should stick to that or the very least keep an open comms to those who have pre ordered.

TheTooN

Hi folks, first post in here but I think I know a few of you from Facebook.

I absolutely love Mezco and 3A for doing these, dream come true. From what I've seen to date 3A are in catchup mode in terms of design/QC. If they manage to iron out the flaws and add decent foot/ankle articulation (poor Sam) we're in for a treat.

My first 1/12th was the NYCC Mezco. Bulletproof build quality, great articulation and some nice accessories. All round stunning action figure even with its iffy Eagle and missing MK 1.

First 3A 1/12th was Mongrol....WOW ! 2nd was Death. He 'looks' superb, 3A got that bit spot on. On the flip side his feet fall off, his belt cracked both sides with me trying to get more torso articulation, his arm kept coming out of its socket when posing. I love him but I was also kinda disappointed and worried about future releases.

Its been nice to have had a few messages/comments from Gregory which helped me out. Most toycos shy away from interaction as its usually painful with all the whinging that we do ;) I really appreciate the snippets of info regarding design improvements. GIT also gave me more confidence to pre-order the others.

SIP - My copy of Death's left arm was dislocated through posing. Gregory kindly posted a pic of the parts to make me less cautious about trying a fix. Pop the shoulder pad off, feel around inside the body suit until you locate the peg. Straighten it out in line with the arm, locate the hole in the shoulder. Pop it back in firmly and your good to go. Bit fiddly but I didnt do any damage to mine.

If anyone's had a problem with loose legs, its a small peg/socket and just needs firm pressure to reattach to the hip.

SIP

Quote from: TheTooN on 13 April, 2016, 07:57:00 PM
Hi folks, first post in here but I think I know a few of you from Facebook.

I absolutely love Mezco and 3A for doing these, dream come true. From what I've seen to date 3A are in catchup mode in terms of design/QC. If they manage to iron out the flaws and add decent foot/ankle articulation (poor Sam) we're in for a treat.

My first 1/12th was the NYCC Mezco. Bulletproof build quality, great articulation and some nice accessories. All round stunning action figure even with its iffy Eagle and missing MK 1.

First 3A 1/12th was Mongrol....WOW ! 2nd was Death. He 'looks' superb, 3A got that bit spot on. On the flip side his feet fall off, his belt cracked both sides with me trying to get more torso articulation, his arm kept coming out of its socket when posing. I love him but I was also kinda disappointed and worried about future releases.

Its been nice to have had a few messages/comments from Gregory which helped me out. Most toycos shy away from interaction as its usually painful with all the whinging that we do ;) I really appreciate the snippets of info regarding design improvements. GIT also gave me more confidence to pre-order the others.

SIP - My copy of Death's left arm was dislocated through posing. Gregory kindly posted a pic of the parts to make me less cautious about trying a fix. Pop the shoulder pad off, feel around inside the body suit until you locate the peg. Straighten it out in line with the arm, locate the hole in the shoulder. Pop it back in firmly and your good to go. Bit fiddly but I didnt do any damage to mine.

If anyone's had a problem with loose legs, its a small peg/socket and just needs firm pressure to reattach to the hip.

Interesting - thanks for the tip on that, I'll certainly give it a try.
These figures are a dream come true, and I'm on board to buy as many as I can (though the Sam Slade did absolutely nothing for me). Can't wait for Dredd and a potential John Alpha!

Pete Wells

I'd like to add my appreciation for Mezco's figure, but maaaaaaan, I wish they'd given him ankle articulation, it really limits the poses you can put him in.

TheTooN

I agree more artic in the ankle would be nice but theres a trade off with the visual.

I just had a look at some old pics of LCBH Dredd. It has a deep ankle pivot and a full ankle rocker which gave him a heap of movement. On the down side you can see the gaps in his boot both at the sides and halfway up his ankle which takes away the magic a bit.

Mezco's doesnt have a whole lot but whats there is (imho) enough to be able to pull off some nice poses, especially if you use the stand. 'Just' enough articulation without spoiling the looks of the boots. If 3A give us similar I'll be happy, I dont expect to see more on theirs as from what I gather they value the look more than the articulation. Which leads me to Robo-Hunter.

He was a late arrival, I loved Mongrol and Death so was expecting great things. I just about had a fit when I realised he had no artic below the knee. I put him away and ignored him for the night I was that pee'd off.
He does look ok kneeling and on a flight stand but with those boots he was probably best left in the packaging which is a shame.

[/url] [/img]

[/url] [/img]

SIP

Damn, now you've made me want to get hold of the black and white version even more.