Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

teckno viking

So they are planning to weather, war torn damage the suit and rad cloak and put a hole in the name badge (possible effects Greg stated).

Not sure on that if I am honest. As they are all achievable by the buyer.

This makes me also think the amount of BS on "Breaking even by selling Lots". You would sell more without ALL the forced weathered, bartle torn. One of my pet hates with the normal 3A releases is the preset weathering, etc. Quite capable of that myself.

One of the reasons why my wallet is supporting VORTEX TOYS.  Same body, same ideas BUT No Forced Weathering etc. 
I just don't know if Vortex is a splinter of 3A or is the factory that makes it all, doing their OWN line due to popularity & demand?

Back to Dredd/2000ad though.  Great to see plans are afoot and later this year we will be seeing new stuff. Was quite surprised to hear 1/6th Anderson as though 1/12 as announced last year would be first. Though then again we are still waiting on both versions of GIANT still.
Not sure why as new headsculpt, new badge and done (Everything else is DREDD issued kit) Unless they are doing a beefier body? Maybe changing the pegs to magnets for the shoulders?

Still at (2000ad line)  7 x3A DREDD figures, all 3 Dark Judges, Sam, MONGROL, 5 x Lawmasters, I PUT my money where my mouth is and DO Support but will voice concerns/thoughts.

lincnash

Its hard to find info on VORTEX, any links ?.
The first guy I found has stolen Dredd's Rad-cloak !.

The second was $60.50 at an Malaysian online shop.
Figure with accessories, no bike or (3A?)robot .

http://www.xl-shop.com/xlshop/pages/VORTEX-V00010/vortex-toys-v00010-yew-series-1-12-scale-action-figure-max-well-#
Boots, hands and trousers are very similar to the 3A future Stosstruppen blokes (WWR/NoM ?).
I would get some Stosstruppen if the were more freely available.
But I am getting a bit OT for a 3A/toof thread.

Purchasing the 3A figures and vehicle certainly gives me a smug sense of entitlement  :D.
If the 3A Wally Squad take notice of internet gripes and offer up superior releases, great.
If every release was awesome, I would be a 3A completest and not merely pick favourites.

I stay away from re-paints of a similar figure with "new" accessories.
But the accessory count in a pack can sometimes sway me.  ;)
I am with you teckno, capable if a figure needs some custom work to be "better".
But I'm sure others appreciate the figures straight out of the Boing(tm), no mods.

There is reserved excitement over all the teased character releases.
Only been collecting 3A since Death, so I know to believe when its listed on Bamba.

lincnash

Drokk me  :o !!!

Further investigation finds the first guy has Dredd's boot-knife as well !
Cant find the pic of him with a Lawrod in holster on his bike.  :lol:

lincnash

Also an MP5 machine-pistol from the upcoming movie 1/12 ANDERSON. :D

VORTEX must associated with 3A or very influenced by their stuff.

teckno viking

No link on the Vortex toys.

However they are using the same factory i think or as said connection.
As when stripped down exact same Body.

The clothing not embellished in Ash's graphics or 3a logos and weathering is left to the buyer to do, not forced upon the buyer.

Dreddzilla

Agreed on all points TV. I'd much prefer my Dredd to have that out of the academy shine to him as advertised in the previews. If I want my figure to look worn I can customize him myself. I have to be honest here, I think the real reason for all the weathering 3A does is so people can't tell if the paint apps are sloppy or not. It's the perfect out if you are a toy company.

Mikey

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 10 March, 2017, 11:42:39 AM
I have to be honest here, I think the real reason for all the weathering 3A does is so people can't tell if the paint apps are sloppy or not. It's the perfect out if you are a toy company.

Or it maybe has a root in his World War Robot art?

You can also remove the weathering if you want - acetone seems to do the trick if your figure's too mucky.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

ming

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 10 March, 2017, 11:42:39 AMI have to be honest here, I think the real reason for all the weathering 3A does is so people can't tell if the paint apps are sloppy or not. It's the perfect out if you are a toy company.

3A have also released several 'bots with zero weathering so I really don't think that's the main reason behind it.

TheTooN

3A weathering imho is superb, really sets their figures off. I cant imagine Mongrol for instance with a fresh out the factory paint job. If I have one gripe so far its that Dredd's losing his weathering paint effect from handling and the colour underneath is quite different both on the standard and comic book editions. I've never had noticeable paint loss on a 3A figure up until now and its a shame. I can only put it down to the lack of a varnish finish as used on the Dark Judges and/or the type of flexible vinyl used on Dredd's pads.

Pics showing where the paints rubbed off over time. Dredd was fully weathered out of the packet. If I was talented I'd have a go at repainting but I'm not so I'll stick to grumbling ;) I've since tried to handle my other 2 Dredds only on the suit or helmet but its not easy when your re-posing.

Dreddzilla

Seriously the paint is coming off?  :o For the price we pay that's a real screw up on 3A's part.  >:(

TheTooN

I'd call it a learning curve rather than a screw up. DJ's paint app had a sealer (varnish or whatever its called) and ended up a little bit shiny but solid, no flexible bits though. Dredd was finished 'dirty' which looks fantastic but on the flexible bits the paints cracked/worn/rubbed off. I dont know what the fix is going forward for 3A or if it only happened to me cos I play with them too much.

I'd pretty much bet most folks will see the paint loss down the crease in the front of the boots. More than that might just be down to the amount you mess about with them. I'm not trying to knock 3A for it, I love these little buggers and dont want them to stop any time soon. Hopefully next Judge release will see an improvement but if not I'll grin and bear it.

teckno viking

Scott, Weathering does indeed help improve figures, machines etc. However I am a big believer in letting the individual choose that option not forced.
Though I truly get it with the 3A mecha released. I think however for Judges it should be more a personal choice. Most certainly when it boils down to weathering, rips etc.

The Dark Judges Yes needed but MC1's finest should be a personal choice.

teckno viking

Dredd would chew out any Street Helmet who did not keep a respectable image of JUSTICE! That too stands for Dredd himself.

By the way Greg (3A though I know this will feed to him LOL) saw the legion post, fair enough Not affil with Vortex, though the body is identical even down to screw placement to hold the figure together.
Quality of clothing is as good as 3A, acc's too. Major difference being "Clean" aka lack of weathering for the buyer to party on with that.
However I think this is only available via China so legal paths may run dry or brick walls there.

As said Greg I get the stylised weathering you do for the 3A post apocalyptic line, the mecha, dark Judges. Street Judges though should be immaculate and left to the buyer surely. 2000AD Dredd stories are full of him chastising due to messy uniforms and always quick to change to a clean uniform.

Loving the 2000ad line you guys are doing, just drop the weathering and leave that to the buyer surely for Judges, saves you guys time and money too.

sheridan

Quote from: TheTooN on 10 March, 2017, 06:20:43 PM
I've since tried to handle my other 2 Dredds only on the suit or helmet but its not easy when your re-posing.
Wasn't that an eighties / nineties sitcom?