Main Menu

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

Started by Pete Wells, 02 October, 2010, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

I downloaded the demo for this for my Xbox 360 and it's bloody great! You start as a prisoner onboard a spaceship which begins to explode and fall toward a planet. You have to battle your way to an escape pod which takes you both inside and outside of the crumbling ship.

It's pulse poundingly exciting and very 2000AD in tone. Reckon I'm gonna buy this one... 

Roger Godpleton

Didn't think much of the demo TBH, as the platforming seemed too didactic for my liking. And there's a new Castlevania out on the same day, so I know what I'm getting...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

radiator

For some reason I had it in my head that this was PS3 exclusive (probably because Heavenly Sword was).

It's pulse poundingly exciting and very 2000AD in tone.

Well, there's a (very) loose connection there - Alex Garland!
Which makes me think - how good would it be to get Garland to write some Dredd comics (or something else for 2000ad?).

ThryllSeekyr

A post appocalyptic retelling of Monkey Magic.

Keef Monkey

Liked this too, was interested because of my love of Monkey as a kid and its a gorgeous looking game. None of the gameplay mechanics seem particularly special (if the combat is just the 2 button bashy stick stuff it'll get old long before the game ends) but its presented in a really bright blockbuster way. Was reminded a lot of the great parts of Uncharted 2, its got a similar Hollywood rollercoaster feel to it.

Pete Wells

I completed this yesterday and really enjoyed it. A great story with cracking characters and a good twist at the end. Not bad at all that Alex Garland fella!

radiator

I was talking to a friend about this the other day - and we both agreed that while on paper this game sounds like a tempting proposition, there's something distinctly unmemorable and  unappealing about the design of the characters. You'd think with a character like Monkey they would do something really cool (just look at Jamie Hewlett's work on Monkey: Journey to the West).

The ad posters (of which I've seen many) also do a really poor job of selling the game.

I may pick it up eventually.

Professor Bear

I came to this cold and thought it was really good.  Some minor niggles about the context-sensitive nature of the platforming, dodgy collision detection and overly-easy gameplay aside, it's a neat riff on Uncharted by way of a very Euro-sensibility post-apocalyptic setting and story.  Reminded me in a good way of the Jak and Daxter platformers.

Alski

It's pretty much like playing a 2000AD story, which is a good thing. Biggest drawback is the hand holding platforming and abysmal combat camera, the worst I have ever encountered.

Still worth a rent (about 7 hours and little replay value).
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Keef Monkey

Noticed the HMV collector's edition of this, called "The Talent Edition" comes with a Garland novel and a Nitin Sawhney album. Quite an interesting way of doing it, certainly more interesting than "buy from us and Monkey has a different colored headband!" or summink similar.

GordonR

Dropped from 11 to 31 in the UK charts this week, and it's been out - what? - two weeks?

Oh dear.

Roger Godpleton

Belmonts, they got this shit locked down.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!