IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

junox

not been here in over 100 days apologies
great colouring thread 
over on facebook we post loads of art and this popped up from a master
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=691655370919241&set=gm.464968970312109&type=1&theater

----
anyone consider giving it a colour in 2 formats old style / new style  ? or has it been coloured already ?
from Greg Staples QUOTE - " My mistake, I was 14 and there is no colour version, I did it for my own pleasure "
check out our  site  folks all welcome  hope to generate more traffic back to here 
respect

pictsy

A piece of colouring I did for a friend a few months back.  He had been commissioned to do some work for a kickstarter and was uncertain about his skills at colouring.  He asked me to do a colour version of the picture in addition to his own so he could offer options to his client.  As I was watching my friend doing his coloured version over a share screen I used most of his colour choices but did it in my own style.  The client did end up choosing my version, but I just enjoyed colouring my friends artwork.

Darren Stephens

Lovely work Pictsy. Very 'painterly', which I much prefer over the polished airbrush look that some computer coloured stuff has. ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

CrazyFoxMachine

That's luvverly - very Dave Taylor actually. I'd watch out for over-brownification generally though - unless that's the specified colour for the roboto it doesn't hugely stand out. It's a great job though - great reflections and well-judged shadows. The clouds are particularly striking I could stare at them for hours.

More Pictsy colouring!

pictsy

Thanks Darren.  Glad you like it.

Thanks as well CFN.  I adore clouds and always try and do them justice.

I was pleased with the various highlights in this image and especially the moon.

I don't have much in the way of work I've coloured for other people - I haven't really been in demand to do it.  Would be cool to, though.

Anyway, here is another.  Lineart is by the same artist.  He was bored one day so I told him to draw a picture and this is what he drew.  He didn't really like it but I thought it was interesting and did a really quick colouring job on it.

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

CrazyFoxMachine

That's definitely got a very eighties dayglo feel to it - especially as you've uploaded the CMYK file which in most browsers appears a lot harsher than how it'll have appeared as you were doing it.

That last panel is the best here, like the textures there and the gradient orange through red and the use of purples and blues on the vehicle Dredd's standing on.

The main issue throughout though is one of flatness. These feel more like base flat colours than finished ones. Obviously you have to work within what you like - not asking for endless glows and everything shining or anything but like the ground-to-sky in the last panel a simple gradient can work wonders. Particularly on the grey walls in panels 1 & 3 - the inking implies that they're quite grotty and worn but the single bright grey tone is quite distracting and seems out of place. The same with Dredd's shoulder pads - the inking implies changing textures.

Now here is Flint's colouring on his own work which is a pretty good guide for what he has in mind:

and I'm not implying you copy this entirely I'm just saying if you pay attention to the leather and the shoulder pads particularly there's a bit more variability at play there that's always worth giving a go.

Good effort though - don't be afraid to go into more detail!

Darren Stephens

Agree with Owen, these look like flats...but(!) I quite like the colour choices and, I can see this suiting an artist with a less detailed, gritty style.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

IronGraham

Thanks so much for the feed back I'll take that into consideration going forward

IronGraham

I've just did work on a piece by James Harren some constructive criticism appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7io784zepOaT0I3WkY3YUpSaHc/view

CrazyFoxMachine

Jim_Campbell

TBH, it's better form to put the image up inline (as part of the post) rather than a link people need to click through to. In isolation, one instance isn't a big deal, but it would work against the accessibility of the thread if more people started doing it...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IronGraham

OK I'll try to do just having trouble add picture any help their?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IronGraham on 13 November, 2015, 01:49:49 PM
OK I'll try to do just having trouble add picture any help their?

Use a free service like Photobucket to upload. It'll offer you several options for sharing an image but if you copy the one that says IMG, you can just paste the entire line of code into your post and the image should appear.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.