Main Menu

where's prog 1601?

Started by Dandontdare, 23 August, 2008, 05:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: "Matthew Vic"Got mine from local thrill merchant so it is out in the shops but haven't had chance to have a proper read of it yet. Although I did mis-read the ad on the back for 'The Clockwork King of Oral'....

Shops that early?

My subscription usually comes Saturday too but not today.

I went out and bought Meg 275 to tide me over. I don't get that usually but I was tempted by the new format and the extra comic. I'll state more detailed thoughts on that in the proper thread, but so far so good. On my way through the Jock Collection now.

Well not now, now, cos I'm typing this... but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Buttonman

Got my sub. copy today, I expressed surprised to the postman who described his employers as "slave drivers". Presumably that's slave drivers who give double time and a day in lieu.

Still to read beyond the Dredd but ABC's look aces and you get your promised Lob return too. No letters confirmed!

Proudhuff

Button, Not double time etc, the Posties in Scotland get 2nd january more or less instead of the ENGLISH bank holioday today.

no prog for me on Saturday, it might be at home but I'm at work because no Bank Hols in Jockland today.

Huff
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Pleasantly surprised to get my Prog today after a no-show on Saturday.

Dredd and Red Seas are cracking.

Lobster Random starts well: I'm intrigued by a story I'm not normally keen on.

ABC Warriors benefits from the inclusion of Lemmy out of Motorhead, but really isn't helped by several pages of inane babble about metal bands. Strange.
We never really die.

Satanist

Got the prog from FP yesterday, get in.
I just caught up with 10 weeks worth of progs because the last run really didn't do it for me, mainly due to not reading Dante and Sin Dex from the start. So I'm now back loving the prog.
Dredd, Red Seas, ABC & Lob Random are all aces.
Oh and we have Escape to Victory as well.
And as said Lemmy is in there warts an all.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: "Buttonman"No letters confirmed!
How could you doubt me

Buttonman

Quote from: "COMMANDO FORCES"
Quote from: "Buttonman"No letters confirmed!
How could you doubt me

Not everyone pays as close attention as they should. You may have been distracted by a Judge Dredd egg cup and failed to notice a three line bon mote hiding at the bottom of an ad page.

But you didn't and there wasn't.This time.

Buttonman

Quote from: "The Satanist"Oh and we have Escape to Victory as well.

It's more of a straight steal from 'Stalag 17' an excellent 1950's P.O.W drama that sees a group of men fighting both the Nazis and an unknown traitor in their ranks. I think the title is a nod to that. Hope it gets a bit more sci-fi soon or this will be looking like a reloaded Commando comic.

Stalag 17 IMDb here //http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046359/

Keef Monkey

Got mine today thanks to Scotland not having a bank holiday. A really good prog, everything was good for me, although the ABC Warriors' random metal conversation was very strange. I can also happily say I've converted a new reader! A friend of mine has discovered comics over the last couple of months and is loving them, but didn't want to pick up 2000AD because it had been running for too long. So I bought him last week's issue, thus forcing him to read it and he loved it(Stalag 666 seems to have been his favourite actually). Tharg would be proud of me I'm sure. God knows what he'll make of this week's, might be hard to follow for a newbie.

Trout

I got post today, but no prog. I am bereft.

I think we've been spoiled by Saturday progs.

- Trout

Mardroid

I got neither. At least that bodes well that the bank holiday is the reason, rather than just being lost...

The postal system on BHs is curious though, I guess different parts of the UK are more lenient to their workers. I'm based in the South East. Have any Southerners gotten their mail?

Freddychopper

Finally got prog 1601 this morning.

Cover - Stunning Lobster headshot potrait by artist Nick Percival - cool detail and colours - I wanna see a moody Dredd by this guy!

Inside:
 Dredd - nice chunky Migonlaesque art from Walker - not much of a story climax, though I always trust Wagner to deliver the goods....

Red Seas - Solid as always - not sure people were saying "will do" in those days, but still a good read with Yeowell's best art since his Zenith days.

ABC warriors - Arrghh! attack of the crazy splash pages - but lovely stuff all the same!

Stalag 666 - Not sure on this one-  it looks and feels slightly amateurish for 2000AD

Lobster Random - Great start and cool to see him back at last....

Good strong prog overall and hope the standard is maintained ...

the shutdown man

Oh boo hoo ladies!

Some of us don't get it until Mondays anyway, and then this week you English folk go and have your bank holiday, which means the progs don't get to Ireland until whenever. But I take it on the chin, me. When I was a lad I had to walk to school in the pissin rain with no shoes.....
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Proudhuff

Got prog 1601 this Monday morning ...

Cover - bit bitty, Mini-huff thought Random was a Wrestler!??

Inside:
Dredd - good fun Dredd, a feeling we've seen this before, but no doubt Mr W will pull it out of the bag, every faith

Red Seas - Great stuff [spoiler]wooden teeth[/spoiler] and all... Thought the teeth was going to be a techno thingy

ABC warriors - wooooah! those pages are messing with my melons mannn, great stuff, Pat's chats are fun too, long may it reign!

Stalag 666 - Not sure on this one not doing anything for me ARTIC-B prefer Ennis to do any WWII stuff even if its set in space

Lobster Random - Great start,  bit Basil but no doubt that's needed for some of us...

Good strong prog overall and hope the standard is maintained ...
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

Yes! Mine came today too.

Cover- Loverly. Well, ok, he isn't, but the picture is. If you follow me.

Dredd:  Good continuation as ever. That part where Dredd zooms in, is it the 'eye upgrade' he received last week? Or do Judges visors have that capability? (I'm thinking it's the former, as I think I remember a judge using binoculars (or futuristic equivalent) in the past.

Red Seas:  Great gags. A bit undecided about this script (mainly as I'm rather new to it.) but so far it's very intriguing.

ABC Warriors:  Lovely, lovely art. I'd have preferred a bit less of the splash pages and more story progression though. I was hoping that we'd see some more of the present day thread too rather than another flashback. Not that their history isn't interesting, it's just we've had those tales since I started buying 2000 AD last year.  I'm curious about Steelhorn though. In the GN I borrowed a while back (the Meknificent Seven I believe it was) he was turned into liquid goo, and in the present he's a big bot again. Curious how that turns up. And has a hammer always been iconic for him? I always figured that was mainly the leader's domain.

Stalag 666:  Still early days. [spoiler]New guy is a bit of a swine isn't he?[/spoiler] Rather cliche ridden, but I quite like it just the same.

Lobster Random:  My first stint with this character outside of the Vort. So far I like it. Robot stuff is just wrong... but very amusing [spoiler]"How dare you!"[/spoiler] Interesting how different Merridien looks with different artist. (Thats not a criticism of either, I'm just fascinated by how different artists depict certain characters. Dredd included.) Interesting they included a clip of D'Raeli art in this strip too... yet in such a way it didn't clash with the main art at all, despite the different style.

Oh, interesting bare buttocked warrior woman on the back of cover. I've seen her a lot in Abbadon advertisements lately (and twice in this issue.) I'm sure that's how every warrior woman would wish to be clad. (Not really.)