Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: pictsy on 12 November, 2013, 09:12:22 PM
Rodriguez was only a producer on it, wasn't he?

He was indeed, and he also wrote the original story treatment.
A bit of a Predator fan, by all accounts. Plus he's a famous type, so i guess he would have had a bit of a say as to how things went.

He's keen for a sequel, if the internet's to be believed...

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 November, 2013, 09:21:30 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 12 November, 2013, 09:12:22 PM
I'm going to have to watch this film again.

When you do, try to work out by what tortuous sequence of events the Death Row guy got there.

And also try to understand in a ship the size of a building, Fishbourne locks the team in a room with all his weapons and shit when he is intending to kill them.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

pictsy

It's starting to sound like a homework exercise.

800 words on the failings of Predators in before Friday.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 12 November, 2013, 09:31:21 PM
And also try to understand in a ship the size of a building, Fishbourne locks the team in a room with all his weapons and shit when he is intending to kill them.

Guess my homework assignment should be, 'work out where you were supposed to put the word 'why' in that last sentence!!!!!!  D'oh!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

NapalmKev

Elysium - I really enjoyed it despite a couple of nonsenses in the plot. A good film but not as good as District 9.

Honourable mention for Jodie Foster for doing one of the finest 'Margaret Thatcher' impressions I've ever seen!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

pictsy

Predator

There are some vary glaring parallels between this film and Alien.  Still, it was fun to watch even if nothing was a surprised (I watched this film constantly as a kid).  Arnold Schwarzniger hams it up with some awful one liners and a general clunky approach to delivering his lines.  So classic Schwarzniger then.

I was most impressed by the effects which I still think hold up well today.

A nice and simple story, really.  A rescue team is [spoiler]tricked into an assassination mission[/spoiler] and then they are [spoiler]picked off one by one by an alien hunter[/spoiler].  That's it really.

Next up Predator 2!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Now You Don't stars Mark Zuckerberg playing a flim-flam man, of all things. The four main leads are terrible, Woody wasn't so bad, he had a couple of good moments, but the others brought him down to their level. The heists in this movie were pretty cool, but the whole thing is ruined by a stupid silly twist. One of the people I was watching it with actually called the twist, half jokingly and was actually disappointed to find out they were right, that's how silly it was.

Arachnoquake features John Connor, who instead of growing up to lead the human resistance against the machines, grows up to coach an all female baseball team who are terrorized by giant, pink, fire-breathing, unconvincing CGI spiders. Spiders that emerge from an Earthquake. Yes, it's the Asylum, up to no good as usual.

There's a great bit near the start where they're fighting them of using bug-spray, and I was quietly hoping this would continue. I was hoping they had blown most of their budget on the poor CGI and had nothing left for prop guns, so they had to resort to using aerosol cans instead. Alas, it was not to be. They break out the guns and it's all a bit standard from then on.
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pictsy on 13 November, 2013, 11:36:29 AM
Predator

A nice and simple story, really.  A rescue team is [spoiler]tricked into an assassination mission[/spoiler] and then they are [spoiler]picked off one by one by an alien hunter[/spoiler].  That's it really.

I always thought the story was: "Ged to dah chopper!"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Watched Europa Report the other night, probably the best space movie I've seen in a long time (and no, I haven't got round to Gravity just yet!). Really tense and stylish, great score from Bear "Battlestar" Mcgreary, thoroughly recommend it!

Watched it on US Netflix, not sure if there's any other way to get hold of it just now.

Recrewt

Quote from: HdE on 12 November, 2013, 06:04:52 PM
I think the real problem with it is, it has an air of 'we made this coz we could!' about it. While it tries to add something new to the franchise, it makes the mistake of going for something big in the introduction of the super-predator.

The super predator was a lazy and dumb idea but I find it baffling that they decided to go ahead with it after AVP2 already did the big predalien thing.  It's not an original idea anyway but even less so when someone else has recently done it (and in this respect, better). 

pictsy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 November, 2013, 12:45:15 PM
I always thought the story was: "Ged to dah chopper!"

The chopper is merely the McGuffin ;)

Colin Zeal

This thread also got me to re-watch Predators. I don't have much more to add to what has already been said but I wasn't impressed on first viewing and this one didn't improve it much.

I followed this with Moon, which for some reason I left sitting in the packaging unwatched since purchase about two years ago. I'm not sure why I didn't watch it as I'd only heard good things about it. I'm pleased that I finally did as it was excellent throughout.

And after this Bulletproof Monk was on the TV. Watching this had the unfortunate affect of reminding me that I paid good money to see it at the cinema. I had a vague memory of enjoying it back then but I can't think why as it isn't much good.

JamesC

Gravity.

It was impressive but got very silly.

The sound design was really good at the beginning but about halfway through they start using incidental music which I thought ruined things a bit.

I think  could have just watched the first half hour and then left the cinema and it would have been more satisfying.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I ended up sitting through Man of Steel last night. It's still pure shite.
You may quote me on that.

pictsy

Predator 2

It's not great, but I still love it.  It is at least as good as the first one.  I like Danny Glover as the lead, very different than if they got a Arnie clone.

Do you remember seeing the Alien skull and thinking how cool would it be if we could see Aliens and Predators slugging it out?  How wrong we were.

I am still undecided as to whether I should watch the AvP films as part of the Predator franchise.  I am currently leaning towards yes.  It's mostly the first one that puts me off.