Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Not the last movie watched, I despatched a certain film concerning a psychic blond cop and her grumpy older male sidekick.*

It was almost  new experience as I watched it with a friend who mostly experienced it for the first time. (I say 'mostly' because she told me she'd watched it, but it seems she only caught the start or didn't pay attention last time).

Anyway, she loved it and wanted to know why no sequel was getting made. It seems many who actually watch the film feel that way. Shame.

* Yes I'm being a bit cheeky. I would argue Dress is as much an Anderson movie as a Dredd one. This is not a criticism. And as I was watching it with a lady, I think she related well to Anderson., although she liked Dredd. Although you don't have to be female to do that.

I, Cosh

Festive round-up. Mostly stuff I've already seen but on the telly. I've included a handy festive drinking indicator alongside each write up to allow you to judge whether it's me or the booze talking in each case.

Dredd. Four pints and two Malt of the Months. Just starting when I got home on Christmas Eve. Third time I've watched it and my opinion improves each time. I've gone from thinking it was a decent adaptation in terms of tone but not deserving of the adulation to believing it's almost as good as some of the loonies on here say it is.

Future Shock: the story of 2000AD. One pint before, a second during. Entertaining and informative with some new stories and laugh out loud moments. The only slight criticism would be the focus on the past: the film takes time to mention Matt being the longest running editor and he's in it for about 20 seconds.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day. God knows but a lot. Just starting when I got back from dinner at a friend's house. It's like a relentless machine; ruthlessly effecient in its desire to entertain you.

Avatar. Nothing. Kind of hard to remember how big a deal was made of this at the time. I remember thinking it was pretty enjoyable and being wowed by the visual effects. Five years later it looks like an extended videogame cut scene and I'm not sure whether that's down to advances in the latter or just the absence of hype. Cameron does still know how to get us involved with a bunch of space jarheads though.

Fast Five. Nothing. Joyous.

Big Hero 6. Nothing. Big Hero sucks, more like.

Kingsman: The Secret Service. Half a bottle of wine. Seems like a lot of people have caught this one over the holidays. Expected it to be a load of old shite so was pleasantly surprised to find it an entertaining and reasonably smart riff on the spy film.

Edge of Tomorrow. Bottle and a half of wine. Siobhan mostly talked through this but we'd have an occasional break for a laugh at one of the many Cruise death montages. Still think it's a great fun film whose failure saddens me.

Return of the Jedi. Two and a half bottles of wine. Think this viewing might have convinced me that RotJ is the second best Star Wars film. I've always thought the climactic showdown in the throne room was amazing. The darkness and sudden flashes of light jumping off the screen and the intimacy of the personal drama wonderfully juxtaposed with the awesome space battle raging outside the window. Our introduction to badass Luke has grown on me over the years and this time I even liked the Ewoks, so fuck it. Force ghost Christensen remains an abomination.

In conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC

47 Ronin. All of the wine. Pretty late by this point so I fell asleep halfway through but what I did see was pretty enjoyable. Making a plot point out of Keanu's character being half demon tickled me. Will definitely make an effort to see the whole thing at a later date.
We never really die.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2016, 03:15:46 PM

47 Ronin. All of the wine. Pretty late by this point so I fell asleep halfway through but what I did see was pretty enjoyable. Making a plot point out of Keanu's character being half demon tickled me. Will definitely make an effort to see the whole thing at a later date.

Oooh. I've got a copy of 47 Ronin kicking about. Might stick that on with my boy tonight.
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2016, 03:15:46 PMIn conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC

WTactualFUCK?

ESB>>>SW>RotJ>>>TFA(provisional)>>>>>>ROTS>>>>>>TPM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Holiday Special>>>>>>>>>>>>AToC

The Force Awakens - Need to see this a few more times as it's difficult to judge. It doesn't really work as its own film due to being a semi-reboot and first part of a trilogy. Liked the new characters and most of the old ones worked well (unlike Carrie Fishers facial muscles). Still feel its a Death Star to many though.

I watched Hateful Eight and its fuckin great!!!

I'm a poet and I didn't even realise it!

Spectre is utter gash, Sphincter more like.

Crimson Peak is Del Toros version of an old Hammer film so I thought that was cool.

Minions - very funny

Future Shock - Gggggggggggggreat
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Big_Dave

SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>> AotC

correct on every count
especially empire strikes back
name me 1 other film where
the good guys lose every fight

that question is easier to answer
if you are german a terrorist or an orc

Colin YNWA

In conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC

This is gonna need its own thread!

von Boom

Quote from: Satanist on 04 January, 2016, 04:28:43 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 04 January, 2016, 03:15:46 PMIn conclusion: SW >> RotJ > ESB >>>>>>>> TPM >= TFA(provisional) >>>> RotS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AotC

WTactualFUCK?

ESB>>>SW>RotJ>>>TFA(provisional)>>>>>>ROTS>>>>>>TPM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Holiday Special>>>>>>>>>>>>AToC

This is the correct ranking.

Jim_Campbell

Baffling. The prequels are all terrible, but AotC is comfortably the least awful, with an overly complicated but at least comprehensible plot and some decent set pieces.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

I get the prequels a bit mixed up but I don't think there's anything at all I liked about AotC.
At least TPM had the pod-race and ROTS had the Order 66 bit and baddie Anakin in the temple (which could have been done better but was pretty entertaining nevertheless). I can't remember much in AotC other than the production line thing, the arena and Jango Fett.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 January, 2016, 05:00:35 PM
Baffling. The prequels are all terrible, but AotC is comfortably the least awful, with an overly complicated but at least comprehensible plot and some decent set pieces.
I was never as disappointed with Phantom Menace as so many others and by the time Sith came round I'd pretty much given up hope, but my main problem with Clones is the sheer volume of cribbing from originals.

They all have references but almost every scene in Clones is guilty. There's a fight in a bar like the cantina; there's a chase like the speeder bikes; there's an ovoid floating city like Bespin; there's Django Fett who's not really anything like Boba but you get the idea; there's a monster in an arene like the Rancor pit; there's a conveyor belt thing that's not too much like the bit with the Ugnaughts but seems to be there just to be a level in the computer game. And the one part I can't match up with anything else is the nauseating teen holiday romance.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

I always reckon, Jar Jar and tedious senate included, thet TPM was best of the prequels so Cosh is right there. But ROTS and AOTC are equally terrible.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 January, 2016, 05:00:35 PM

There's lots of cool stuff in AotC (the arena battle and titular assault, Obi-Wan as detective, the 9/11 sunset, Kamino in general, Temura Morrison) but I find it hard to get past the awfulness of the central romance, the goddawful endless factory scene, and the bizarre leaps in logic (Padme shows up at Shmi's funeral dressed in her action clobber (complete with holster and combat boots); the Republic's shiny new army are identified as clones of Count Dooku's bodyguard, who also hired the assassin that tried to kill the senator opposing the Military Ceation Bill that will legitimise that selfsame army of his clones... but nobody asks why; Yoda levitates a big lump of Kirby machine away from our heroes, but chucks it in the opposite direction to Dooku's escape craft.. And that's without even asking WTF is going on with the sandpeople and Shmi).

The correct order is, of course TESB >ANH>RotJ>Tartakovsky Series>TFA (Provisional)>TPM>Clone Wars Series>Rebels (Provisional)>AotC>Clone Wars Movie>RotS>>>>>>>>Holiday Special

Nothing is worse than the Holiday Special and nothing ever could be - and I speak as one who rewatched the whole thing last week. Okay, I used the FF button a lot, which is the only reason I'm alive to talk about it.

Satanist

Holiday Special is awful but the lols from the ad breaks sneak it ahead of AOTC in my book. My issue with it is that it looks like a computer cut scene almost start to finish and is by far and away the least watched in my house.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Satanist on 04 January, 2016, 05:48:41 PM
Holiday Special is awful but the lols from the ad breaks sneak it ahead of AOTC in my book. My issue with it is that it looks like a computer cut scene almost start to finish and is by far and away the least watched in my house.

The wide-range of opinions on the prequels is especially baffling... I'm having an email conversation with a friend who's complaining about TFA because —in all seriousness— he feels that the new film is missing the gravitas and presence Hayden Christensen brought to the prequels.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ZenArcade

ANH, TESB, ROTS, RTOJ, AOTC & TPM.... Haven't seen TFA yet so jury's out. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead