Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

Yes I definitely heard that!

Steve Green

I didn't notice it on the radio but noticed some peach tree signage.

There's a lot of peach tree going on in Atlanta apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peachtree_Street

I, Cosh

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 July, 2017, 11:04:20 AM
I didn't notice it on the radio but noticed some peach tree signage.

There's a lot of peach tree going on in Atlanta apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peachtree_Street
It is the capital of the Peach State.
We never really die.

DrRocka

Alien: Covenant
Thought it was absolutely shocking, to be honest. The first half hour seemed to be a less imaginative remake of "Alien", and the less said about the rest, the better. Zero suspense, hugely predictable, this felt more in the AvP mould than something from the great director that made The Duelists, Gladiator and Blade Runner. All I can think of is that some studio offered Ridley Scott tons of money to make his own better project next if he tossed this one out. Seriously, not good at all.

Wonder Woman
I managed half an hour of this, then switched off. To be honest, I've been pretty much done with CGI, folks - leaping - about- in - slow - motion movies based on American comic books for quite some time, and this did nothing to draw me in. The leads seemed very good, everyone concerned seemed to be doing a good job, it's just not for me. The Greek myths exposition part seemed to be written by someone who thinks Homer is only a guy who's married to Marge.
Plus, how clunky is that opening scene, in the present day? Immediately it's saying NEVER MIND THIS MOVIE, WAIT TIL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT ONE. Whatever happened to people making great standalone movies without eyeing up six more?

Gah, two misfires for me tonight. Firing up the Pink Panther box set to salvage something of the evening.
Never ever bloody anything ever

dweezil2

Quote from: DrRocka on 05 July, 2017, 01:25:01 AM

Wonder Woman
I managed half an hour of this, then switched off.
Plus, how clunky is that opening scene, in the present day? Immediately it's saying NEVER MIND THIS MOVIE, WAIT TIL YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE NEXT ONE. Whatever happened to people making great standalone movies without eyeing up six more?

Yeah, as a two hour flashback it didn't really cut it for me either.

And the coda set in the present day almost felt like an apology for the period setting that preceded it.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Mardroid on 03 July, 2017, 07:30:44 PM
Trance - A very interesting film with lots of twists and turns.[spoiler]In the real world, I'm not sure hypnotism is as powerful as depicted here,  but as this is a fictional world next door, that's okay. [/spoiler]

Rosario Dawson, who plays the nurse character in the Netflix Marvel series has quite a major role in this... and you see rather a lot of her. Ahem. 😱😆

TBF;TL.

I enjoyed it. Quite twisty turn with some expected and some unexpected. Unsettling performance from McAvoy (he's a bit too kick ass at times). And a great turn by Vincent Cassell.  Plus great cinematography  (is it the bloke that did Dredd?) And a cracking soundtrack
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

It Comes At Night is an utterly engrossing and, at times, harrowing psychological horror film with superb performances all round!

Not to be missed.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

DrRocka

Despicable Me 3

First, some background:
Tiny Rocka is now 10, about to finish primary school, and though she still loves Minions, they're not quite the all - encompassing force of nature they were for her a couple of years ago. So, after chips by the seaside (we're lucky enough to live near St Anne's Island Cinema, where every movie ticket is £4 and you if go to a premiere there are no adverts or trailers, just the movie coming straight on at the time on ticket. Imagine how we all freaked at the opening night of Force Awakens), we're in and down to business. I of course fall asleep ten minutes into it (I'm 44 now and a gigging musician, so the second I get into a comfy chair, I'm having a quick ten minutes, thank you very much), but I doubt I missed much.
We've loved all the Gru movies so far, and this one was ok, but showing definite signs of Franchise Syndrome. It's a kids film, fee Gawd's sake, it's not reinventing the wheel. That said, there were logic gaps left right and centre ("why are the Minions suddenly in jail, Dad?"), but it's a passable and inoffensive way of keeping your Small Folk occupied for a couple of hours.
That said, we both agreed our scores for the other Despicable Me movies (and Minions) would all be 8/10, and this one's a 5. Definitely one for the ickle 'un's. Or perhaps both of us Rockas are developing more sophisticated tastes?

Captain Underpants looks like being a riot, though.
Never ever bloody anything ever

The Legendary Shark

Bone Tomahawk. Jesus wept. Utterly unbelievable plot, bland characters and pointless gore. A rather good core idea completely wasted - even Kurt Russel (the best thing in it by a country mile) couldn't save this steaming pile.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Spider-Man: Homecoming. That was a lot of fun. Stark isn't in it nearly as much as the trailers might have you believe. Holland is believable and engaging, whilst Keaton is genuinely excellent, arguably the best villain to date in a Marvel movie. The stakes are kept pleasingly low-key and personal; much of the comedy is excellent. Stay for the end of the credits.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

zombemybabynow

The adjustment burea   Terrific. Love Dick inspired films
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

CrazyFoxMachine

Sense and Sensibility (1995)

It was literally the first EVER Austin thing I'd ever consumed in any form back in 2012 and it still is, as I first thought, terribly dry. The settings are beautiful, the people are beautiful and it's well performed but despite Thompson's heavy efforts to simplify and embolden the story for modern audiences it still comes across as cheesy, over-sentimental and drier than a cracker in the desert.

Buttonman

Bolt-01

Spider-Man, Homecoming:

Really enjoyed this. Thought Keaton was as superb throughout. He has some really good moments throughout the the film. Really like the 'neighbourhood' moments. They gave the film a lot of heart.

Mardroid

Deadpool

I saw it at the cinema, but I recently picked up the Blu-Ray in a two* for a tenner deal at Asda, so I watched it again recently. Very enjoyable. There's too much swearing for my liking, but it's a funny enjoyable romp.

There's plenty of extras on the Blu-Ray too. I rarely watch these things more than once, (or all of them for that matter) but they're nice. Looking forward to checking out the commentaries later. Probably not all one after the other, there being three!

* The other was The Martian. I've yet to see it, but it but picked it up after good reviews mostly of the 'example of a good film Ridley Scott produced in the present day' variety. (To be fair, I didn't mind Prometheus or Alien:Covenant myself.)