Main Menu

Similarities to "The Pit"

Started by orinAGN, 02 October, 2012, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orinAGN

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 October, 2012, 09:20:01 PM
Can't really agree re: the plot, but I'd definitely agree that Dredd's character in the film and how he functions as a mentor, draws on The Pit a bit.  Corrupt judges abound in Judge Dredd, to an almost ridiculous extent, as do apparently untouchable crimelords - The Pit is just one example. 

At the core of The Pit as a tale is the novel (for JD) use of an ensemble cast of Judges, police procedural and parallel/interweaving stories - in the manner of Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue.  Dredd3D is tight focused in terms of characters and plot, and lacks precisely the widescreen, redemptive climax that the Pit offers.

That's very very true.
In fact, the 3rd act is very much "The Untouchables".  With the raids, and crime-busting, and catching the main villain on a totally unrelated charge. 

W. R. Logan

I don't think I agree with your points but as I don't agree with you can you cut and paste your case again just in case I didn't read it all the other times you did.

Frank

The Pit is essentially a grown up variation upon the form of another equally pivotal Dredd classic, The Graveyard Shift. The differences between the tone and content of the two stories are emblematic of the shift from the early all-inclusive narrative grab-bagging which characterised Wagner and Grant's exhuberant Eighties output, to the more contemplative noir of post-Necropolis Wagner. The Pit effectively established the foundations upon which the strip's current excellence was built. Discuss.

orinAGN

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 06 October, 2012, 03:45:53 PM
I don't think I agree with your points

That's fine.
Care to offer reasons or analysis behind your opinion?
I'd love to discuss it.

Quotebut as I don't agree with you can you cut and paste your case again just in case I didn't read it all the other times you did.

Wow.
Thanks for being rude, I guess.

orinAGN

Quote from: sauchie on 06 October, 2012, 04:34:14 PM
The Pit is essentially a grown up variation upon the form of another equally pivotal Dredd classic, The Graveyard Shift.

That's interesting to know.  I've not yet read that story. 
What more can you offer opinion/analysis-wise on that story?  I'd love feedback.

QuoteThe differences between the tone and content of the two stories are emblematic of the shift from the early all-inclusive narrative grab-bagging which characterised Wagner and Grant's exhuberant Eighties output, to the more contemplative noir of post-Necropolis Wagner. The Pit effectively established the foundations upon which the strip's current excellence was built. Discuss.

Discuss....
Hrmmm. 
Well, I do like the shift from "all-inclusive narrative grab-bagging" to "the more contemplative noir" style.
I've always enjoyed those smaller stories with a tighter focus.
I DO still enjoy the huge stories, and adventures with a grander, larger scale. 
My enjoyment of the two different styles is marginally different. I love them both, but I think I gravitate more toward the smaller, more character driven plots.

I'm glad to see that you think "The Pit effectively established the foundations upon which the strip's current excellence was built".
But don't you feel that larger stories like "Origins" and "America" have a lot to do with the comic's style as well.
"Origins" was a later comic, that addressed a much larger premise and story, much like "America" and the various "Democracy"/"Democracy Now" stuff.

Thoughts, views, feedback?