Main Menu

Without Dredd, 2000AD is nothing...

Started by Trout, 08 January, 2007, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

"And also-although i've never seen a woman in a 'jum suit' "

JUM SUIT! - Apologies, I meant CUM suit.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

>Then we come to Grennie, who has by now pretty much nailed Dredd's voice and world.

Grennie can be excellent -as witnessed in Direct Action, Gulag, Blood Trais- but does tend to make Dredd overtly macho sometimes ala "Regime Change". This was one of Ennis' great mistakes although I would like to see him have another shot as he does have some great ideas, Judgement Day excepted.

W. R. Logan

Trout

Good work Logan! Thanks for the efforts.

As I said, I'm willing to be persuaded.

But I maintain that a weak Dredd damages the prog.

- Trout

Jared Katooie

I'm very picky about my thrills so I often rely on Dredd to carry the prog.

Without Wagner there is no Dredd however. When Wagner retires I'll probably be sorely tempted to stop reading the progs. I dont really rate Rennie or any of the other writers who've had a go at the character. Good writers but not good Dredd writers.

Having said that, I'd like to see a few more Ian Edginton stories before I finally give up hope of a replacement for Wagner.

Carlsborg Expert

I think the secret is in Dredd's dialogue.

Wagners voice from Dredd is deep sinister yet not cynical. Wise and not just a little stupid.

ThryllSeekyr

About Slaine. I was always alittle disappointed with  'The Time-Monster' Having read much of the moddle before seeing the beginning gave me different expectations regarding what would be in the first Slaine strip.

Roger Godpleton

Dredd is usually the last thing I read, working on the basis that what annoyed me the most last week gets read first. However, in all-new line up progs, Dredd gets read first, as I'm more excited by the other stuff. (Well, to begin with, at least).

I usually find that Dredd makes it's way to the top of any set of stories, but there are other stories which muscle their way in too.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

How about Progs 1350-1356, featuring the fairly awful Dredd story "The Satanist" which was more than compensated for by the revitalised Slaine, an amusing Strontium Dog, decent Beck & Kawl and the sublime Leviathan.

I'd also say that the first Caballistics stories, the start of Dante's pirate adventures (which actually promised to be quite entertaining at the time) and some decent Tales From Telguuth (a personal thing, but I've always had a soft spot for it) helped make up for Dredd vs Aliens.
We never really die.

Carlsborg Expert

I found The Beating Heart story had stronger competition to it more recently.

It's that thing like Dennis the Menace and Korky the Cat or Desperate Dan.

Not that the rest are fillers but there has been a lot of dangerous compliments in the past, to the Dredd story, the only one most casual readers remember.

Carlsborg Expert

I found The Beating Heart story had stronger competition to it more recently.

It's that thing like Dennis the Menace and Korky the Cat or Desperate Dan.

Not that the rest are fillers but there has been a lot of dangerous compliments in the past, to the Dredd story, the only one most casual readers remember.

nick-is-at-home

"Without Dredd, 2000AD is nothing... " I have to disagree with that.

Historically, yes, 2000AD is built around DREDD, and yes, stories such as America and The Apocalypse War were fantastic but without knowing either of those two things (ie if you're a new reader) I think Dredd can come over as bit of a 2D all action character. I'm not saying I don't like Mega City One-i love it-but then I have read America, and do have a understanding of Dredd and his historic connection with 2000AD.

What i'm trying to say is 2000AD should stop using Dredd as their flagship character, strips such as Shakara, Rennie/Irving stuff, Caballistics Inc., Leviathan etc. would bring in a lot more new readers and make the comic seem a lot more diverse and interesting.

And i'd deffinately buy 2000AD if Dredd wasn't in it-although i don't think they should ever remove him from 2000AD.

JOE SOAP

Presently, Dredd is probably now a superior character icon and -in more cases than not- strip than any others at this moment in 2000AD's history.

When 2000AD was in it's heyday in the 80's Dredd had some excellent competition from many of the other strips. I don't think it's quite the same now. Not sayin' that the other strips aren't good, they are, but I don't think they are of the same significance that  Dredd has with 2000AD.

The fact that Dredd has developed and endured as much as it has states that fact. Dredd and 2000AD will be forever synonymous.

Devons Daddy

i think dredd is our anchor, but with so many superb and at times outstanding scripts and art work, they only add shine.

From Grace,
the recent SIN and DEX
Glimmer rats

these outstanding,story arcs  carried me for months,i have reread them many times.
there are so many others,but each of us has his own feeling on such things,

should the day come when wagner retires.i shall still be buying,only dredd wont be my first read,2000ad will still be the finest of crop of that i am sure.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Floyd-the-k

an interesting question up there, O Trout.  I doubt if 2000 AD would have survived so long without Dredd, but it would still be good stuff without him.
  As to a good prog with a weak Dredd - I`m sure there are examples, but can`t think of any right now.

yours vaguely,

Floyd