Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 February, 2011, 11:08:53 PM
What a result.  Gerry Adams as possible leader of the opposition.  A man so utterly dishonest he won't even admit to the terrorist past he's supposed to have put behind him.  A man who now feels that being identified as a former member of the IRA amounts to actual defamation of his character, although he would never condemn that same organisation when it mattered.  Who doesn't even live in this State, or pay taxes here (until now, presumably).  Who owns three houses but only earns the average industrial wage.  Hero of the ordinary people, hammer of the corrupt!  Jeebus wept.

If we go down the route of vetting Adams -we should- then it needs to happen to Gilmore too, he was a member of Sinn Fein at it's active height in the 70's and evades talking about it when broached. He does buy his wine in my local O'Briens and seems a bit cranky.

TordelBack

I've no problem with the man's past (-chokes back bile-) - I accept that it's to everyone's benefit that we move on and engage in democratic politics instead of finger pointing.  It's denying it and threatening legal action that pisses me off.  And no-one has photos of Gilmore in a black beret and sunglasses, and no-one has referred to him as their commanding officer.

JOE SOAP

We've always been good at finger-pointing but shite at gettin'-the-finger-out and dishin' out pain where it's deserved.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 February, 2011, 11:10:47 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:04:12 PMAnyway, you claim to disapprove of the whole process but I'm betting you weren't petrol bombing the Dail or executing politicians on the internet - you hypocrite! I mean, you even have access to TV cameras; but I digress...

I don't see why disapproving of the 'process' allows me to petrol bomb the dail or harm people, this isn't V for Vendetta. Disengaging from it is an 'action' in itself. I don't have access to TV cameras either, I'm an editor.

I dunno. I guess I just see not voting as a form of inaction rather than a form of action. Even accepting the notion that politicians would view non-voting as a statement of dissaproval, I have to ask - would they care?

Petrol bombing an innocent <cough> politicians house is clearly an unconscionable action, but there's no denying that it does communicate your discontent fairly effectively. Of course that sort of criminal behaviour could land you in jail (or in the Dail), so I view voting as a more moral alternative.

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:04:12 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:04:12 PMAnd each tiny change is another step on the path to salvation.

I think I heard Enda 'tin of Lilt' Kenny and Gerry 'Killer Kane' Adams saying something like that...

Well now you're just being mean. Comments like that will only discourage enthusiastic individuals such as myself from treating the ballot paper like some sort of lunatic Sudoku puzzle.

maryanddavid

It will be intersting to see how the seats fall, at the end of the day Id prefer a FG Labour or FG overall, I wouldnt like to see Independants prop up the government, the Healy-Rae effect we can do without.
Whatever your thought on the incoming part(ies) in the short term it can only be a good thing for the domestic economy. The Hotels, pubs, cinemas, dogs tracks etc are dying on their feet because people who are working, and have some disposal income are not spending because they are afraid of what coming next.
They may take solace from a government who appear to have a plan and appear to have an idea of what their doing and get out and spend some of thier money. Appearence is everything, it dosent matter if they dont have a clue of what they are at, just so long as they look competent!
As for the bigger bank picture, that will sort itself out at a european level, the bank debt will be fereralised at some level and the interet rate will be reduced, because it serves europe to do so, but FG will take full credit.

Anyway, four from Mayo, I could do with a few potholes fixed, I have a good choice now!
David

Stan

Irish election: Enda Kenny claims opposition victory
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12585048

Ireland's main opposition leader Enda Kenny has said his Fine Gael party has won a "massive endorsement" to govern after parliamentary elections.

See what you've done? Now a politician thinks people like him.

Never trust a guy who's one typo away from having a woman's name.

Jared Katooie

Still, a few lengthy make-out sessions with old flame Angela Merkel behind closed doors and Ireland could receive some tasty economic favours.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:47:31 PM

I dunno. I guess I just see not voting as a form of inaction rather than a form of action. Even accepting the notion that politicians would view non-voting as a statement of dissaproval, I have to ask - would they care?

That's not the point. You can never really tell if a politician cares about anything other than getting elected of which there seems to be enough people around to do and who are you voting for really, the person or the party? Both end up ineffective in our parliament, especially independents.

All our 'policies' are effectively made outside the country now, how will voting in another round of shitebags help? None want to go down as the 'ones' who brought down Europe. Things never change within politics because their jobs depend on it not changing.

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:04:12 PM
Quote from: Jared Katooie on 26 February, 2011, 11:04:12 PMAnd each tiny change is another step on the path to salvation.

I think I heard Enda 'tin of Lilt' Kenny and Gerry 'Killer Kane' Adams saying something like that...

Well now you're just being mean. Comments like that will only discourage enthusiastic individuals such as myself from treating the ballot paper like some sort of lunatic Sudoku puzzle.

More like 'spot-the-balls'.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Stan on 26 February, 2011, 11:54:21 PMNever trust a guy who's one typo away from having a woman's name.

He also comes across as the most stage-managed politico since George Bush.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: maryanddavid on 26 February, 2011, 11:50:06 PMAs for the bigger bank picture, that will sort itself out at a european level, the bank debt will be fereralised at some level and the interet rate will be reduced, because it serves europe to do so, but FG will take full credit.

I have no such faith, we live in a supposed democratic nation which is one small floating bit in a non-democractic superstate of which we don't elect the leaders. The 'power centre' will be served and we will be squeezed to pay for it.

The banking crisis is not something that can be sorted at a European level because it's a global problem that simply at the end of the day must be defaulted on. Printing money or fucking around with interest rates until-the-cows-come-home cannot fix economies of diminishing returns, currency values and resources, the steps towards controlled collapse have yet to be taken and won't be till there is no other option or when the next crisis/war hits and then it will just be collapse.

johnnystress

AT the end of the day FG's policies are not much different than FF's.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

We've achieved nothing with this election- I don't see anything to be happy about

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: johnnystress on 27 February, 2011, 10:07:07 AM
AT the end of the day FG's policies are not much different than FF's.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

We've achieved nothing with this election- I don't see anything to be happy about

Nothing ever changes. The faces come and go but power always remains the same.

I suspect like after the crash of 1929 and the follow on of 1933 we're on a slow dive to another World War. Thank you world banking system, cheers. :(
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 February, 2011, 11:30:02 AM
I suspect like after the crash of 1929 and the follow on of 1933 we're on a slow dive to another World War. Thank you world banking system, cheers. :(

Blimey, I thought I was a pessimist!

IAMTHESYSTEM

A bit grim I admit but being of Scottish descent I see pessimism as a must!

There's too many differing groups of people now scrambling for finite resources [oil, gas, water etc ] so that makes conflict almost inevitable. Bit of a downer really.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I believe that FG will have learned from FF and not even consider going into government with Independents and a deal with Labour has already been done before anyone even cast there vote. I would be pleased strong Labour presents in the next government, hopefully this will soften the harshness of FG. But, it remains to be seen if they chose to nearly sit back.
As for my own area, Tipperary South, I'm delighted that there will be no more madness fron Martin Mansergh, although at times it made great viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVzZWIvUF0o&feature=related