Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

This is looking fairly grim at the moment.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Frank

ZenArcade

I don't dispute the percentages; it's the added momentum engendered. They has a massivly disproportionate amount of media focus before this, Christ alone knows how much more they'll get now.

COMMANDO FORCES

If my memory serves me correctly, most of that media coverage was not of the positive kind!

ZenArcade

The adage: 'any publicity is good publicity' would seem to apply.

Richmond Clements

Sorry, but if you voted UKIP you should be ashamed of yourself. Give yourself a lovely, racist, pat on the (white) back.

Frank

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 25 May, 2014, 11:47:14 PM
Sorry, but if you voted UKIP you should be ashamed of yourself. Give yourself a lovely, racist, pat on the (white) back

I'm pretty sure Farage isn't, and he's refused to sit with the same grouping as Marine Le Pen in the EU parliament on the basis that they are racists. UKIP are xenophobes, despising Polish immigrants as much as Somali immigrants. The distinction's important - a useful definition of fascism is the removal of nuance, and doing so serves no-one's best interests.

ZenArcade

I agree there, I don't hate Nigel Farage, just get moderatly irritated by him. I dont think for one instant that any appreciable percentage of UKIP voters are racist anymore than is prevalent in society in general.  I just don't like their stance on many things and am incandescent with horror that frustrated and marginalised voters have no other alternative than to vote UKIP. The failure for this lies squarely with mainstream parties for not presenting any alternative for these voters.

COMMANDO FORCES

Scotland has one UKIP MEP now :o

ZenArcade

So we know who Richmond, Sauchie et al really voted for then.  ;)

GordonR

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 26 May, 2014, 01:01:33 AM

That's remarkable news...

...seeing as how - due to religious sensitivities in the Western Isles about vote-counting on a Sunday - the results won't be announced till lunch time Monday.

COMMANDO FORCES

It's already been said on the BBC that even if every vote goes to the second place party, they still can't beat UKIP.

Frank

Quote from: GordonR on 26 May, 2014, 01:09:37 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 26 May, 2014, 01:01:33 AM

That's remarkable news ... seeing as how - due to religious sensitivities in the Western Isles about vote-counting on a Sunday - the results won't be announced till lunch time Monday

We have the tallies from the other 31 areas. We elect Scottish nationalists arguing for independence from the UK but within Europe to Holyrood, and elect a UK nationalist arguing for independence from Europe and UK national unity to Brussels - don't say we don't make things interesting, but don't expect any kind of coherence either.

COMMANDO FORCES

That Scottish UKIP MEP is talking on LBC radio right now!

Old Tankie

So, "the uneducated, uncultured and old" were intelligent enough to use their hard won democratic rights.
The educated, cultured and young sat on their arses and didn't bother.  Not looking so educated and cultured now, are they!