Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

it's nothing to do with their relative merits as human beings - I don't think the the joke was offensive, it was a good gag!

Hawkmumbler

Nah, Caitlyn Jenner is a disgrace of a human being. Jervais was right to say what few would dare.

OK, speaking as someone who fall's into the LGBT spectrum I decree it right here, any and all bashing of Caitlyn Jenner is a-ok. I HAVE SPOKEN!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

I dunno, maybe people who drink drive and kill a person but then bribe judges off in order to get away with it tend to rub me the wrong way? ::)

The Legendary Shark

Divide and conquer. All they have to do is stir up our differences and we do the rest ourselves. It's how we are kept impotent.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 January, 2016, 08:18:11 PM
Divide and conquer. All they have to do is stir up our differences and we do the rest ourselves. It's how we are kept impotent.
With all due respect, Sharky, if you think Jenners corrupting of federal court is in anyway linked to governmental regime or the illuminate (joke, I joke!) then your over estimating her power.

The Legendary Shark

I meant in general. Some buffoon spouts off about differences (sexuality, race, class, means, intelligence, gender, worthiness, honesty, humour, whatever) and we find ourselves drawn into arguing those same points instead of thinking about what's important.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

So....Jenner being a republican anti-gay rights pro gun law maniac who bribes and flaunts contempt of court ISN'T an issue worth rebuking?  ::)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

I think your starting to let your own vendetta and paranoia blind you a little bit,  Just because certain issues don't effect your personally or reflect badly on you or people you know doesn't make them unworthy of debate.

The Legendary Shark

Debate is fine, even necessary, but you said "rebuking." To me, debate comes from logic and a willingness to understand whilst rebuking comes from emotion and an unwillingness to understand.
Whilst emotion is basic and often unavoidable - and necessary in human beings* - it must be tempered with reason.
*Certain types of brain damage can virtually eradicate emotion in victims and these people find their ability to make logical, rational decisions impaired. If a person doesn't feel something, one way or another, about a decision or conclusion, they tend to be unsure of those decisions or conclusions.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

From what I've heard, Gervais made a joke about women drivers with regards to Jenner. That's not offensive or controversial, that's tired and hackneyed.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 12 January, 2016, 10:08:18 PM
From what I've heard, Gervais made a joke about women drivers with regards to Jenner. That's not offensive or controversial, that's tired and hackneyed.

And yet still the best gag in his set! 

Professor Bear

sheridan