Main Menu

Your Top 3 Games this Generation

Started by JamesC, 05 September, 2013, 06:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Twilight Princess was one of the Wii consoles launch titles.  The game was originally intended to be a Gamecube game (which is why it was released on the Gamecube as well) but it was refined and adapted to include Wii game mechanics before development had finished to allow it to be a launch title.  I think it's safe to say it was legitimately a Wii game when referring to the Wii version.

As for being this generation, I inferred that 'this generation' referred to 7th generation consoles (Wii, Xbox360 and PS3) as that made sense what with the Xbox One and PS4 not being released yet.  I almost didn't include Portal 2 in my list as I played the PC version and PCs aren't bound to the notion of generational gaming - but I thought that was too pedantic.  ;)

sheldipez

I wouldn't include World Warcraft as this gen either, it came out prior to the 7th gen starting.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: sheldipez on 08 September, 2013, 10:40:39 AM
I wouldn't include World Warcraft as this gen either, it came out prior to the 7th gen starting.

Damn! My age strikes again. After a certain amount of time all the gens start to blend together!

bluemeanie

So does that mean I cant include Stop the Express for the ZX Spectrum?

balls

shaolin_monkey

Only if I can add Citadel for the Acorn Electron!

JamesC

Quote from: bluemeanie on 08 September, 2013, 01:54:28 PM
So does that mean I cant include Stop the Express for the ZX Spectrum?

balls

Stop The Express enraged me like no other game has before or since. So frustrating!

Link Prime

Quote from: pictsy on 08 September, 2013, 09:27:31 AM
Twilight Princess was one of the Wii consoles launch titles.  The game was originally intended to be a Gamecube game (which is why it was released on the Gamecube as well) but it was refined and adapted to include Wii game mechanics before development had finished to allow it to be a launch title.  I think it's safe to say it was legitimately a Wii game when referring to the Wii version.

Nayru's wisdom.

Recrewt

Here are my top 3:

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - yep, I'm going to be that guy. COD4 is the best game I have played on the PS3. It's the first game I put in it and will probably be the last one too.  WW2 FPS games were starting to become tired so when COD4 was announced it at least sounded different.  What was good though was a 'realistic basis' for the weapons (no heart rate sensors here) and the story.  Who doesn't enjoy sneaking around Chernobyl in a ghillie suit on a sniper mission?  Of course multiplayer is where it excelled and I remember many an evening played with friends online.  It managed to provide an environment for online play with minimal interference - sure, this meant kids could run around lobbing grenades at everything but if that happened you could switch to your sniper setup and then teach them some tactics!  Over time, subsequent releases have got worse but this original still holds the crown.  It truly brought modern warfare and online play to the PS3 masses.

2. Dead Space - a common complaint of modern horror games is that they are not that scary.  Well Dead Space was - I like to play this kind of game at night with the lights off and this one certainly had me on edge.  I recall walking along a corridor and there were some toilets to my right.  I could only see the entrance, blood up the wall and the light was flickering.  Now, I knew there was probably some ammo or health in there but you know what? I hesitated.  Yep a flippin game where it didn't really matter if I got killed but I stood outside there and part of me thought 'sod it, how much do you need that ammo?'.  That's how good this game was.  OK, the idea was not that original and it did get a bit repetitive towards the end but I really enjoyed playing a game that was a bit scary again.

3. Dark Souls - I love this game/I hate this game.  Actually, I probably hate it more than love it.  To start with, it drops you in the game and barely gives you any hints as you go along.  There are no weak enemies - sure as you go along you get tougher and wiser but then there will still be some skeleton type that you met first thing that will kill you.  In this game, you die A LOT.  Now, with a lot of games you can learn from your deaths but this is especially true with Dark Souls.  You don't worry about dying after a bit because you do it so much.  I picked this up to try and expand the games I was playing.  It has driven me to the brink of madness but at the same time, when you complete a difficult part, the sense of achievement is unsurpassed.  I dare not even look at the sequel! 

WhizzBang

Oblivion, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario Kart Wii

radiator

Weird that I could very easily name a top 3 from previous console generations, but I'm really struggling when it comes to this one! I have only owned about twenty physical 360 games, and four or five PS3 games in total. I think while I used to have the free time to play pretty much all of the big releases on every console (eventually), nowadays I don't have the time to play that many games, so feel like I can't really comment with any authority.

Nothing's really springing to mind as a clear standout, except maybe Gears of War 2 which I played to death. Barely touched GoW3 though.

Halo 3, Reach and ODST were good, but fell way short of the original as a singleplayer game.

I'm guessing Half Life 2 doesn't count, right? And by far the best game I've played on Wii was Resi 4, which is definitely a last-gen game...

Maybe Trials HD.

Er... GTAIV?

I, Cosh

I've only had a 360 for a couple of years and not really put that much effort into gaming on it. I've played very few of the big tentpole titles and liked fewer. Pretty much all my most memorable games of this gen have been XBLA ones, which seems a bit of a cheat but long may the cheapness continue!

Super Meat Boy. Aaaargh! I know I can do it. Just ten more goes.

Deathsmiles. I've finished it. What do you mean people can score more on the first level than I did on the entire game?

Arkham Asylum. Properly loved this now that I think about it. One of the handful I've managed to get all the achievements on too.
We never really die.

PsychoGoatee

1. Metal Gear Solid IV: Guns of the Patriots

2. Duke Nukem Forever (Always bet on Duke)

3. Mass Effect 2