Main Menu

prog1485

Started by N0FX, 24 April, 2006, 06:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0FX

Gruddammit! waiting a whole 9 days for prog 1485, tore open the envelope and prepared for an onslaught of Thargs Thrill Power!!!!!

Nope, not there. A quite good cover (not sure about the vast quantities of blue though), a wonderful Dredd with the welcome return of Guthrie. Easily the highlight of the prog.

Lobster Random, still enjoyable but not as good as the earlier stories; however the artwork is still engaging and clean.

ABC warriors. A dissappointing ending really, I hoped that Mr Mills would actually keep some of the Warriors dead, to shake up the old bots, add some continuity and the deaths of Joe and Steelhorn were genuinely shocking. All for naught as now they have both been effortlessly ressurected. (Albeit Steelhorn has a nice new makeover). It's a shame to have so much build up (books 1&2) wasted by the last 10 pages of book 3, One can only imagine that Hammerstein and Co went home for tea at the end.

86ers. Hmmm, jury still out here but I feel that this story ended too soon. but there are plenty of plot threads to be resolved at a later date. It just feels very unfinished right now, with some quite underdeveloped characters.

Low life. Rob Williams (clearly a man who reads messageboards) easily the best single panel joke teller in recent memory. And a good read as well, not entirely sure about the "Undercover Judge Paired With Amatuer Anoraptic Journalist" idea, but it's only part 2 anyway.

Damage report, worth straining my eyes for as usual.

IndigoPrime

I agree entirely about ABC Warriors. I suspected after last week's episode that they'd just get up again, with few issues (Blackblood is, apparently, still inside-out), and that's exactly the case. It's all very throwaway, really. (They're dead! They're alive again! They're dead! They're alive again!)

paulvonscott

Heh, they are in a right old state though. I loved the ending, especially steelhorn and most definitely the death of bootleg.  Not often I have that much sympathy for characters in 2000AD.

I'm not sure the story would have been validated by some of them dying, but it sure was a crazy freaky ride!

Artificial Idiot

That last panel in ABC's, with them all standing there looking damaged and beat up while Hammerstien recites that classic line is far and away the best bit of the prog. Beating out even RoboGuth.

Proudhuff

Miss! Please Miss! Those boys aren't using spoilers, Miss.

Cover: Miss Please Miss, what does phallic mean Miss?

JD:Okay settle down children, firstly Gold stars all round on the JD project, Mr Guthrie is back in school, so no more smoking behind the bikesheds.

Mr Rodom lobbsta? a bit less talking for you and a bit more blood and guts, stiil you seem armless enough I suppose.

ADS Warriors,Run out of Ritalin did we? please don't stay behind after lessons, just go and don't come back, except you Mr Flint, report to the art teacher and teach him a few things.

Now... 49ers you were told about putting that blue man in every story now stop it, its not big and its not clever... oh alright then it is clever, just stop showing off in class, come back next term, I'm sure you'll make the grade.

Now Last but not least Ms Lowlife? Well structured and exactly what the examiners are looking for, Quiet at the back there! you could learn something for  this, just watch the in-jokes thats all.

Okay class dismissed til next week, don't scrap the chairs! and don't forget your homework for Mr Tharg, he's expecting high scores on that Rogue game at the weekend.

Professor Proudhuff (Ms)
DDT did a job on me

Keef Monkey

Cover- didn't like this much, was too much like every other Dredd "read 2000AD or else!" cover.

Dredd- this was really good, love that Guthrie seems to be actually relishing his new bad-ass appearance, and liked the moment between him and Dredd, another of those moments that show Dredd puts some importance on friendship.

Lobster was a good laugh as always, "slaughter the little shitehawk", hilarious.

ABC's seemed, like last week, a bit rushed, although the last panel was cool (please let Blackblood stay inside out, it cracks me up)

86ers was great, still really enjoying this, and the ending boded well for an interesting 2nd series.

Low Life is still probably my favourite thing in the prog right now, the first few panels of Hitcon were hilarious.

Overall this weeks issue was the soup man, the SOUP!

Buttonman

Pretty good prog!

Good to see Guthrie back although I'm not too sure of his new look - looks like an action figure with the massive joints - no narrow alleys for him. New underground killing club - seen a few of these before so hopefully there will be an angle to come.

Random was good knockabout fun. I agree the term 'shitehawk' is criminally underused.

ABC's ended with more of a wimper than a bang. Lost currency after the first round of ressurections, by the end it was hard to invest any great joy in their survival as it was clearly no longer in doubt. Good 'pack shot' at the end.

The 86'ers has been a total non-event for me. Too much talk, too little action.

Low Life was OK with better things promised. Stretching credibilty somewhat with hardened assassins setting themselves up for a fall by having a convention, but if you buy the set up the rest is gravy.

Good stuff with every thrill offering some reward.http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/1485.jpg">

Steve Green

Yeah, I'm not sure about Guthrie's look, it seems a lot clunkier than Slaughterhouse's body.

Maybe Justice Depts' health scheme isn't that great, or they have a job lot of Mechanismo parts to shift.

- Steve

Carlsborg Expert

Who's illustrating Dredd?  

I reckon Guthries appearance will change according to who is on art duties.

nick-is-at-home

personnally i thought this prog was pretty great

cover - nice to see DREDD in this type of pose again, it reminds me why i started liking his character in the first place

dredd - nice to see a new 'detective' story with DREDD as the last few have just been developments

random - Crithlow, i love whatever he does and the story is just fine and dandy

ABC Warriors - the only bad bit of this prog storywise but Flints art is worth every penny in my opinion. id like to see Carlos do some more B/W strips though as his PC art seems to be in every other Meg

the 86ers - best episode yet. Art is at its peak (I.M.O.) and the story is evolving into more than just a spin-off series

low life - i seemed ot prefer Coleby's art in this part compared to anything else he's done, i hope the next episode uses this cliff hanger to good use though.

So that's my opinion of this prog so i think it was pretty darn good.

thrillpowerseeker

ABC WARRIORS carried the last 10 progs for me..there had better be some top notch thrills lined up soon or I can see it nose diving sharply..Dredd was good.. 86'ers pretty good..Random was a thrillsucker and Low Life a mess..

Stock cover..

overall 5/10

Buttonman

"Who's illustrating Dredd?"

Ian Richardson is on the art chores. Apart from the Robo-Cop rip off Guthrie, the art is fine although you can't read the names on the Judges' badges.Took a second read through to confirm that the lady judge wasn't Hershey.

On page four Guthrie is talking to Dredd (who shows up with no fanfare) and calls him chief. As you can't see a badge I'm wondering is that really the chief judge out on late night patrol? And why is she suddenly looking butcher?

I know I'm thick (and hungover) but it could have been a bit clearer ie. badges on display or at least a text box 'Dredd arrives...'

Jim_Campbell

"Low Life is still probably my favourite thing in the prog right now, the first few panels of Hitcon were hilarious. "

Umm ... was I the only person whose enjoyment of this story was completely and utterly ruined by the INCREDIBLE stupidity of having the two undercover agents present themselves at Reception using their real names?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

judge dreddd

Keef Monkey

"was I the only person whose enjoyment of this story was completely and utterly ruined by the INCREDIBLE stupidity of having the two undercover agents present themselves at Reception using their real names?"

dunno, but I'm never one to let logic get in the way of my enjoyment of something! Did think it was silly but tend to put all quibbles aside and just roll with it. I'm simple like that.