Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Simping Detective vs. Ampney Crucis Rd 3 Heat 35

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 June, 2022, 06:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

There might not be quite the level of thrills we had last week in Week 5, but it exemplifies just how tough this tournament is becoming. A middling week quality wise and we still get some right interesting ties and some really top draw thrills. It's only going to get harder folks!

I can't call this. I know which way I'd go, but I'm not sure that will be a commonly held view. Both are very good thrills. But have either set the world absolutely on fire? Simping Detective hasn't been seriously challenged, though made hard work of Hap Hazzard. Does that suggest the form is with Ampney Crucis which had a stronger performance against the stronger Sooner or Later? So if we read the form guide...

Simping Detective - more info

Vs

Ampney Crucis - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 10th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

The Simping Detective had some great puns, and the Trifecta idea was great. Presumably Point is still around but other than a couple of appearances in DeMarco stories is he likely to return?

Also some great ideas in Ampney Crucis, and I think of the two I'd like to see this return more.

Ampney Crucis.

broodblik

Ampney Crucis did not really finish? I also would like its return
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I really should reread The Simping Detective, as I've discovered a previously unexplored love of Noir in the last year. Erm... but I have to go with Ampney, as it stands.

SBT

Barrington Boots

Simping Detective for me. Not really a fan of Ampney: some very cool ideas but I find the 'what ho' sort of character cliche and annoying. Jack Point on the other hand felt like a fresh take on noir and very 2000ad - serious but also borderline farce.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Simping had really played out all its leads and Trifecta was its last hooray, I enjoyed Ampney especially the easter eggs ( roads signs etc) and I have a soft spot for PG Woodhouse so...

Ampney Crucis it is.
DDT did a job on me

AlexF

Simping Detective is one of those thrills that stood out at the time as fantastically clever, beautifully drawn, and just the sort of thing the Megazine needed. But I don't find myself tempted to re-read it much. Ampney Crucis didn't light my world at the time, but reading through the Hachette complete collection is a real treat, one I'll definitely go back to. The art on both is glorious throughout, but I think Davis's painted grosteques and liberal use of nudity sways it for me even more.

Ampney Crucis investigates...

IndigoPrime

I don't recall a huge amount about Simping Detective, although am I right in recalling it reduced DeMarco to 'girlfriend' status? In any event, I don't recall much about it at all beyond the art, which isn't the case for Low Life, say. I did like Ampney, though, so that wins for me, even if I doubt it'll get much further.

Aaron A Aardvark

The Simping Detective was a favourite way back but I re-read it recently and just found it boring.

Ampney Cruius for being daft fun.

sintec

Both great characters with their own unqiue styles. Davis' art is the clincher for me so it has to be Ampney Crucis