Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Simping Detective vs. Ampney Crucis Rd 3 Heat 35

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 June, 2022, 06:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

The Simping Detective was a lot of fun at the time, which was when the Megazine felt really alive and polished and part of the community. It does suffer a bit from that era's penchant for placing the art of writing so much front and centre that it's difficult to get immersed in the story. It gets points for the zany, and for finding something useful to do with the Raptaur alien. And beautiful art by Frazer Irving.

Partly because Simon Davis is an art god who strides the Earth, my vote goes to Ampney Crucis Investigates...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

The Simping Detective remains one of my 3 favourite Megazine strips.

It's probably the best noire detective story Tharg's ever published. And it's the point when I got Frazer Irving's art.

Blue Cactus

Not too keen on either of the main characters here. Both artists did great work on the strips. I didn't love the Simping Detective's portrayal DeMarco much. Hmm. I'm not leaning towards either of these very strongly...

Ummm Ampney.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 07 June, 2022, 11:39:46 PM
i really like both. so a positive abstention.

We need to watch this or we'll lose you Wolfie. We're about to hit a period where we will love both strips more and more and MORE. The decision just get harder from  here!

Link Prime

I can't vote against S.B. Davis twice in one day - Ampney Crucis Investigates.

Dark Jimbo

I really dislike Ampney Crucis the character. He's an insufferable prig, and a pretty ineffectual hero. (Witness the end of the first series, where he and Cromwell literally just hang around and wait for the army to show up and dispatch the plant monsters). He frequently gets lost in the cracks of a wider narrative happening around him, and at his worst actually gets people killed through nothing but his own pig-headedness. Which is a shame, because on the whole I quite like Ampney Crucis the strip, even when it does threaten to devolve again into a lot of floating purple heads. And just as it got really good, it trotted out a fairly terrible ending and then vanished, with plenty left unresolved. And if that counted against Helium, it has to count against AC.

Anyway - Simping Detective.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

This one seems to be a bit nip and tuck, though a couple of sprints seem to have given this to one thrill. Today could change it, tomorrow will defo announce it so we know. See ya then!

Magnetica

It's actually a pretty decisive lead and has been from the start.

And not for the one I've chosen 🥲.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Richard

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

As is often the case what might look like a close tie with a quick scan simply isn't with a count. Simping Detective did okay, got votes and some good comment but in reality Ampney Crucis got twice as many votes in the end and as such

Ampney Crucis

will be woodhousing in Round 4.