Main Menu

Favourite Classic ART Droids Tourney - Entrants

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 October, 2020, 10:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well I'm going to start the next of these damnable tournements next Monday (with any luck)... and this is actually two tounements running in parallel. They'll be a Favourite Classic Art Droid to celebrate Droids past and a Favourite Current Art Droids Tourney. Both of these will play to an end. Then we'll go back and run a short play off to find the overall Favourite Art Droid.

Let's talk Classic ART Droids. These are Droids we don't expect to see in the Prog any more, the odd cover, or very occasional one off story aside. Some alas we know have done their body of work. Some might come back, but it'd be a surprise as they've not play with Tharg's organ for a long time. I'll do more full posts about format and rules closer to the start, but for now I just want to whet the appetite and sense check who will be in each Tourney.

So both tournments will consist of 32 Droids. As you can imagine therefore Qualifying will be tough. Only 16 Droids will qualify automatically to the 'Classic Art Droids' based on the amount of work they have done (as supported by the MAGNIFICENT AlexF of Heroes of 2000ad Blog Spot http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/). A remaining 80 Droids will battle it out in qualifying for the last 16 spots. Its going to be brutal and we will lose some superb talent along the way.

I'll post 2 lists today. The 16 automatic qaulifiers and the 80 droids in qualifying. Then this week I'll start to drop in some Post with 'rules' and tournement structure and what not and hope to have this all set up for qualifying to start Monday 19th (is it???). But we'll see.

Colin YNWA

Automatic Qualifiers to Favourite Classic Art Droid Tourney.

Carlos Ezquerra
Massimo Belardinelli
Ian Gibson
Ron Smith
Cam Kennedy
Brett Ewins
Anthony Williams
Kev Walker
Dave Gibbons
Steve Dillon
Kev O'Neill
Mick McMahon
Brian Bolland
Arthur Ranson
Carl Critchlow
Greg Staples

Colin YNWA

Classic Art Droids in Qualifying 80 go in 16 come out - (Nothing like) Thunderdome

Jim McCarthy
Jesus Redondo
John Ridgway
Fraser Irving
Jim Baikie
Siku
Steve Parkhouse
Peter Doherty
Simon Harrison
John Davis Hunt
Sean Phillips
Simon Jacob
Robin Smith
Simon Bisley
Dermot Power
Andy Clarke
Charlie Adlard
Nigel Dobbyn
Jason Brashill
Kev Hopgood
Glenn Fabry
Will Simpson
Colin Wilson
Mike White
Trevor Hairsine
Steve Roberts
Mike Collins
Mike Austin
Steve Sampson
Alex Ronald
John Hicklenton
Bryan Talbot
Mike Dorey
Eric Bradbury
Alan Davis
Garry Leach
Carlos Pino
Jock
Dave D'Antiquis
Jose Casanovas
Paul Johnson
Mike Hadley
Edmund Bagwell
John McCrea
Rian Hughes
Dean Ormston
Andrew Currie
Barry Kitson
Lee Sullivan
Smudge (Cam Smith)
Horacio Lalia
John Cooper
Jim Murray
Vanyo
Dylan Teague
Laurence Campbell
Alfonso Azpiri
Liam Sharp
Shaky Kane
Jose Ortiz
Dave Hine
Adrian Salmon
John Richardson
Roman Sola
Duncan Fregrado
Charles Gillespie
Philip Bond
Tim Bollard
Kevin Cullen
David Bircham
Frank Quitely
Jeff Anderson
Callum Alexander Watt
David Pugh
Steve Pugh
SMS
Paul Staples
Marc Wigmore
David Millgate
Bob Byrne

Colin YNWA

Let me know of you think I've miss placed any of the Droids here in the wrong tourney. I'm basing being a Current Droid on having had an ongoing series (or signifcent amount of Dredd) since Prog 2000 (or equivalent Meg) and we've only considering work for Tharg here.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

It's funny to think of some of these guys as 'classic' artists - someone like Jock seems very much of the new school, but then I remember that he made his debut 20 years ago...

Colin YNWA

Yeah classic is much more based on the fact they are unlikely to do anything again. But 'retired' or 'ex' seemed a pretty bad way of saying that!

Greg M.

Alex Ronald still does covers, doesn't he, same as Cliff Robinson?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 October, 2020, 11:28:25 AM
Alex Ronald still does covers, doesn't he, same as Cliff Robinson?

Yeah I actually discussed this over on the 'What's next thread' and I've made my excuses there. Basically its numbers and what I (I take the flak) see them both as...

Edit for laziness: https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46968.msg1040962#msg1040962

Greg M.

Colin YNWA

By the way the laziness was mine (realised that could have come across as rude!) and Christ there's no reason anyone should read the nonsense I post about this stuff - there ALOT of it! - hence this thread to let folks know who haven't - for good reason - read the 'What's next' thread...

Colin YNWA

Just done the draw for qualifying for this Tourney and... oh wow... there's been some amazing talent worked on this comic we love and we're going to lose some big hitters early on!

The Legendary Shark

I know I'm being thick here - but King Carlos doesn't seem to be on the list. Is that because he's an automatic entry or to give everyone else a chance to come second?

Or are my eyes drifting further out of whack?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Greg M.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 October, 2020, 06:33:14 PM

I know I'm being thick here - but King Carlos doesn't seem to be on the list.
He's the first entry on Colin's Automatic Qualifiers list. (Second post in the thread.)

Tjm86

Not sure if I've missed it, my bifocals are in the opticians and I'm working with an older pair of glasses, but surely Colin Wilson needs to be in the automatic qualifiers group ... if for nothing else other than his Rogue Trooper Work.