Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Russia's Supreme Court has moved to classify the "international LGBT social movement" as an extremist organization.

Now being recognised as 'valid' by the state I have come to discover is a folly, and it's a hurdle I and other queer people are gradually stepping passed as a battle that simply can't be won.
But this is just heinous, a morally and ethically pustular action that has and will continue to put the lives and queer and gender nonconforming people at great risk if there is no systematic protection net to aid and shield them from active and malicious harm that such a sentencing endorses.

JayzusB.Christ

I realise I'm speaking from the perspective of a boring, middle-aged straight man (albeit one that is mistaken for a gay man very frequently), but I'm always amazed more isn't made of Putin's appalling policies of marginalising LGBTQ+ people.  For a man allegedly trying to 'de-nazify' a foreign country through force, he certainly seems like a grade-A Nazi in that respect. Along with many other respects, of course.

Sadly I've met one or two otherwise very pleasant expat Russians who hold similar views.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Homophobia is abhorrent already, but when it's state-sponsored, well - where are the words? I suppose Hawkmumbler nailed it with "heinous, a morally and ethically pustular action".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

That truly is dreadful.  What Hamas did was appalling of course, but how they can justify killing 250 innocent people a day just doesn't fit into my head.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

The UK is one of the nations to stop funding UNWRA, the main aid support for Gaza, because Israel claims 12 (actually closer to 4) of its 13,000 workers are members of Hamas. This is helping with the genocide. Our country's government is criminal and murderous. I will never support it. Never.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Michigan shooter's mother found guilty of manslaughter

I thought this was an interesting case. Clearly, the shooter is guilty. Now, the mother has been found culpable. The article points out that some people involved in the case want the School Administration to also stand trial.

Nobody is suggesting that perhaps the gun manufacturer should face prosecution.

There are no right directions here, but perhaps this is getting close to being a step towards a system that would help put a halt to all the shooting deaths in the US.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 06 February, 2024, 10:21:30 PMMichigan shooter's mother found guilty of manslaughter

I thought this was an interesting case. Clearly, the shooter is guilty. Now, the mother has been found culpable. The article points out that some people involved in the case want the School Administration to also stand trial.

Nobody is suggesting that perhaps the gun manufacturer should face prosecution.

There are no right directions here, but perhaps this is getting close to being a step towards a system that would help put a halt to all the shooting deaths in the US.

It's a vast mountain to climb, but it's a step in the right direction.

Funt Solo

Second Alabama clinic pauses IVF treatments after frozen embryo ruling

My clone brothers and I would never have been created under such a regime.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rogue Trooper on 28 February, 2024, 06:48:24 PMGhana passes bill making identifying as LGBTQ+ illegal

Another slip towards hell.

'MPs said the bill was drafted in response to the opening of Ghana's first LGBTQ+ community centre in the capital, Accra, in January 2021.

Police shut the centre following public protests, and pressure from religious bodies and traditional leaders in the largely Christian nation.'

I was about to say 'God help us all', but He seems to be a big inspiration for this kind of dystopian bullshit.

The Legendary Shark

This is the consequence of conflating legislation and natural human Law. All humans are equal and anything to the contrary, even if (especially if) it's written down, is bogus. Legislation is all very well as a guide, but it should never and must never be seen as equal with Law. That way pogroms lie.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 28 February, 2024, 11:01:08 PMThis is the consequence of conflating legislation and natural human Law. All humans are equal and anything to the contrary, even if (especially if) it's written down, is bogus. Legislation is all very well as a guide, but it should never and must never be seen as equal with Law. That way pogroms lie.

You continue to assert a difference between "legislation" and "law" that exists only in your head, as was clearly explained to you earlier in this very thread.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

So, whenever a government passes legislation to commit murder on a certain group of people for any reason, that's fine, is it? It's lawful to kill some people just because some other people wrote it down? 

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]