Main Menu

Koom Skrree!

Started by Dandontdare, 13 May, 2008, 11:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

I've definitely seen the sound effect "BA-THROOM!" used  a couple of times. Can't remember if that was in 2000ad or not though.

Bolt-01

I've seen that on Comicrafts lettering site.

Bolt-01

Link: http://www.balloontales.com/tips/open/index.html" target="_blank">Comicraft balloon tales...

http://www.balloontales.com/tips/open/battle4.gif">

gnilleps

I've lived in some buildings where that would've been an appropriate door sign.

scutfink

IIRC(Probably not)

Gunnar pretty much always went:

Budda
Budda
Budda

might have been a borderline psychotic automatic rifle, but he was at one with the universe that one...

JayzusB.Christ

"'snikkt' ... oops, sorry, wrong comix. "

Not at all, me and my brother used to shout 'snikt!' all the time as kids, and we got it from Judge Dredd (Citizen Snork, i think).

I always liked the very realistic 'Loploploplop' and 'plipliplipli', both of which involved pouring whiskey out of bottles in Zenith.
Oh, and 'Whirrrr?' in Armitage - a mechanical sound effect with a question mark. Genius.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Is it just me or are there generally fewer sound FX than there used to be in comics? Any lettering droids out there who can confirm/deny?

Having said that, this prog's finale of ten-seconders gives us the glorious 3-panel combo of
THOOOM!
BRRAKKA BRRAKKA BRRAKKA
KLAANNNG

and you can't argue with them apples

scutfink

apologies if I've misinterpreted your post there dan, but surely it's not so much a matter for the letterers.

It's the writers who need to get their Onomatopia on...

Jared Katooie

For some reason I always liked KRONCH. I only ever saw it once though...

Queen Firey-Bou

noticed yesterday
"CLONK !!"  which for a fight in a bamboo forest with bamboo sticks was pretty accurate i thought.

Dandontdare

I guess you're right there scutfink - I'm not a creator of any description, so I've never really thought about it - Do the writers really script the exact style, size and spelling of every KABLAM and THOOM?

I always somehow inagined that it was the letterers who used to cut loose with the extra large letraset and exclamation marks.

scutfink

...But without an

SFX: KaRAK-A-THOOOM!!!!

They'd be lost for words so to speak..

Al_Ewing

Gunshots are a hard thing to script! BLAM is sort of overused but instantly recogniseable, BDOW sounds a little wimpy, BKOW is better but looks kind of mean because of that merciless K-sound so you might want to save that for villains executing hostages. My personal favourite is BDAM. A good, hard, solid, manly sound and you can have lots of them.

Unique weapons should make unique noises when they go off - KZOW - and once you're into shotguns you're into the wonderful world of BCHOOM, KCHOOM, just plain CHOOM and so on... actually, this is a discussion I could have all day.

That's just me, mind. Other people will think about gunshot sounds differently if at all.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Byron Virgo

What about silenced pistols though? I always love that THWIPP/THWAPP noise they traditionally make (once PAFF! - with additional exclamation mark - in a comic I picked up in Belgium), sometimes to be found in old copies of Steranko's Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Intriguingly, I've often noticed that guns used to fire gas or poisoned darts of some kind often make the same noise in Italian fumetti digests. And that's before we even get into the whole sticky arena of machine gun SFX (always liked BRAKKA-BRAKKA)...

For my money though, no one does sound effects better than the King: his EEAA! replaced AIIIEE! for me some while back.http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/danwall88/kirby_apes_web.jpg">

JayzusB.Christ

I used to like the screams of the Japanese in Warlord: 'AAAAAHHHHNN! GNAANEEEEE!'

The Topper used to do good outbursts of pain and surprise too: 'Yurfty!' 'Garoinkle!'  It was also the first comic to print my letters, fair play to it
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

davidbishop

I've always Dave Stone wrote some of the best sound effects...