Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 May, 2021, 02:51:50 PM
More importantly, my test results came back earlier than expected, and they're negative!

:thumbsup:

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 May, 2021, 03:49:36 PM
Thanks TB!

Sorry, I meant thanks Paddy! But also now, thanks TB!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Every day I come into work 15 minutes early and every day I leave 30 minutes late - because I'm a teacher, y'see. When I get home, it's time to start work again - because there's grading, lesson planning and so on. And it feels like the job is never ending, because by the time I'm finished (which I never am) it's time to sleep and start the entire process over again.

So, today, I let my boss know I had to leave a little early (but after the students) to take my daughter to an emergency dental appointment.

The response? A reminder about my contractual obligations.

Thing is, if I stuck to contract, I'd have to take a half day, which would come out of the school's budget as they scrambled to find a substitute, which is nigh on impossible right now.

How come they never thank me for coming in early every day?

Even worse - I saw this coming. I knew I'd get hauled over the coals about it before it even happened. Predictable bullshit.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

And that is why most people find a new job because  of their managers. It is not a problem for you to put more hours in but it is always a problem to leave early once in a blue moon.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Alright, I've been putting this off a bit as it's hard to talk about -

I lived on a boat for four and a half years.  Just over a month ago, I had just got back from a pleasant barbecue and few beers with a friend and was preparing for bed, then the boat literally exploded around me.  I managed to escape through what was a wall, but thought my face was melted off - turned out it was just numb with heat.  The boat, being made of fibreglass, was basically incinerated along with everything I owned. 

I spent a night in hospital and got some metal staples in my head - no idea how it happened but I was bleeding from a head wound.  I spent a month living with my parents and now live in a caravan in a neighbour's yard - another friend, though, is building a log cabin in a field which he'll rent to me at a very good price.  I got my staples out last week, but have since noticed a weird dent in my skull which nobody seemed to mention in the hospital. 

But Jesus Christ, I'm alive.  My brother and my friends set up gofundme accounts to help me out, now closed, and I have more savings than I've ever had in my life.  That's it - life spugs but nearly dying is a humbling experience, and my friends and my family are even more amazing than I'd ever realised.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

W...T...A...F! Jeez, Jayzus- that is... well, you know what it is as you lived through it. But, a) I'm so glad you're okay, and b) I'm blown over by what seems to be your positive attitude. I wonder how many of us would have the same mental fortitude to approach it the same way. It's true what they say about stuff being replaceable and about finding out who your friends are in times like that.

Of course, I will frown at you a bit for not saying something earlier so the gofundmes could have maybe had a bit of galactic groat injection, but that's understandable in the circumstances. Should the log cabin suffer any nightmarish incidents, do not hesitate. Tharg got us all together for a reason you know, and that is to come to each others' assistance in times of crisis.

Glad you're okay, sir. Blimey.

SBT

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 October, 2021, 11:22:30 PM
  Just over a month ago, I had just got back from a pleasant barbecue and few beers with a friend and was preparing for bed, then the boat literally exploded around me.
snip
QuoteThat's it - life spugs but nearly dying is a humbling experience, and my friends and my family are even more amazing than I'd ever realised.

Wow!  Glad you're still with us.  I've had a near-death experience or two myself (in a similar hospital stay sort of way) - best to look on it as being lucky you're still alive than unlucky that you nearly died.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Jesus Jaysis. That's sounds feckin traumatic, but it's a testament to yourself that so many rallied around to help you out.
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

HOLY SHIT.
Feel overcome with embarrassment that I posted some dumb gag about you dying a few weeks ago, oblivious to the fact you almost did in real life.
Real sorry to hear that happened, and happy to hear you survived.
You or a friend shoulda posted the Gofundme link here.

Funt Solo

No way, JBC - I guess that means no more hidden shangri-la in the trees over by. Good to hear you escaped the fiery disaster without too much damage, but so sad that your home perished.

I was watching this guy the other night - making a good go of it off grid: 5 Years Living Off Grid Building A Sustainable Smallholding
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

This is awful dude! So glad to hear you're alright.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

paddykafka

Bloody Hell, Jayzuz! I'm stunned and speechless to read of your experience. But to echo what other posters have said, I'm relieved to hear that you're still with us, and that Fortuna is on the upswing for you again. Welcome back and here's hoping that you'll be okay going forward.

All the best and cheers! _ Paddy

The Legendary Shark

I'm glad you're okay, JBC. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks guys.  Really appreciate the sentiment re. gofundme but to be honest I never shared it myself - I felt a wee bit overwhelmed by it all and, well, I've done pretty well out of it already.

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 October, 2021, 12:31:08 AM

Feel overcome with embarrassment that I posted some dumb gag about you dying a few weeks ago, oblivious to the fact you almost did in real life.

I will hate you forever and exact a terrible revenge.  Being serious, though, I missed that and wouldn't have been remotely offended anyway - my mates, being my mates, knew they'd be able to throw some gentle ribbing in with all the sympathy.