Main Menu

'90s small-format 2000ad reprints

Started by walrusmonkey, 11 June, 2009, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walrusmonkey

In the early '90s I used to get small-format (same size as the regular Marvel monthlies) reprints of earlier 2000ad strips from my newsagent, I think they came out fortnightly.  Some were colour (even if they hadn't been originally printed in colour), like the Dredd stories, others (I got pretty much the entire VCs) were black and white.  Anyone know who did these?

Dr Feeley Good

The earlier ones were by Eagle comics,you can still get many of them on Ebay........

flip-r mk2

The later ones were published by Quality Comics.

flip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Peter Wolf

I wouldnt recommend the Quality Comics 2000ad reprints at all.

I dont like format of US comics anyway but these were a travesty.

Beautiful B+W strips that were crudely reprinted and  compressed and distorted to fit the page size of a Marvel comic that were also crudely coloured in the worst way imaginable because apparently US comic readers were/are so infantile that they wouldnt read them unless they were garishly coloured and the same size as a marvel/DC comic.

Awful.

Yuk.

Avoid.

The reproduction quality of the Eagle Comics was a a bit better than the Quality Comics though.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

I, Cosh

All true Peter, but they allowed me to read loads of classic Dredd stories without having to track down three hundred back issues when I was twelve and you had to pay proper money for them and the Eagle ones had those fabulous Bolland covers. I occasionally think about buying a set again just for those.
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "The Cosh"All true Peter, but they allowed me to read loads of classic Dredd stories without having to track down three hundred back issues when I was twelve and you had to pay proper money for them and the Eagle ones had those fabulous Bolland covers. I occasionally think about buying a set again just for those.

I passed on a whole bunch of Eagle Comic Judge Dredd comics in the local charity shop a month ago and they were quite readable.They were worth buying even though i didnt.

The Quality Comics reprints were out in the late 80s i think ? but they were just novelty value to me.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "peterwolf"I wouldnt recommend the Quality Comics 2000ad reprints at all.

Completely agree. I used the Quality Reprints so I could get the original Flesh which appeared in Spellbinders and then I think went into another title, savages or some such. Anyhoo the point is the reproduction is abysmal and I can't wait to get hold of the new trade even though I have the rest of the rest of the stories in it just to have Flesh in a format that isn't a chore to read.

The Eagle Comics on the other hand were quite nice and as Cosh pointed out as a series have some absolutely beautiful Bolland covers which really need to be collected somewhere.

Kev Levell

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"The Eagle Comics on the other hand were quite nice and as Cosh pointed out as a series have some absolutely beautiful Bolland covers which really need to be collected somewhere.
As suggested elsewhere in the forums and championed by SpookytheCat, a covers collection supplement to the meg would be great - AND if they're available, the Bolland Eagle covers would represent a real sales incentive. Not only to fans who couldn't face buying reprints of stories they already had at the time but for Bolland spods everywhere. I'm pretty sure there were a fair few Dredds, the 2000AD ones and if you needed extra covers to make up the 64 pages there were the Crime Files covers too.

walrusmonkey

Quality Comics, that's what I've got.  I remember them being fine, but then, I'd never seen those stories in any other format.  Getting the whole Apocalypse War was worth it, like someone said above, it would have been really expensive to hunt down all the individual progs.

locustsofdeath!

I don't mind the reprints, as they're at least a way to have many of the early Dredd stories I missed out on. I recently bought a huge lot on ebay which included the entire run of Eagle comics 1-35 and the 6 issue Early Cases, as well 20 or so Fleetway and 15 or so Quality issues; the lot cost only 10 dollars, so it was well worth it...even with the inclusion of those horrible DC issues.

Large48

Also as an aside it was the only time some of these stories where ever printed in colour!

I would recommend collectors get them as they are quite cheap (and cheerful!)

They also did a few of them in French, Spanish and German.

Here's a list of what I think was available.... although I don't have all the information listed at the moment!

Name - (number of issues) - Start Year - Publisher (sometimes this changed during a run)

Judge Dredd - Lawman of the Future - (23) - 1995 -
Dredd Rules - (20) -
Judge Dredd in the Judge Child Quest - (5) - 1984 -
Legends of the Law - (13) - 1994 - DC
Judge Dredds Crime File - (6) - 1985 -
Judge Dredd The Early Cases - (6) - 1986 -
Judge Dredd - (35) - 1983 - Eagle Comics
The New Look Judge Dredd - (77) - 1986 -
DC Judge Dredd - (18) - 1994 - DC
PSI Judge Anderson - (15) - 1989
Rogue Trooper - (49) - Quality
Bad Company (with Halo Jones) - (19) - 1988 - Quality
The VC's - (5)
ABC Warriors - (8) - 1990 - Fleetway Quality
Slaine The Berserker (Slaine the King from 21)- (28)- 1987 -
Strontium Dog - (4)- 1985 - Eagle
Strontium Dog - (29) - Quality
Nemesis the Warlock - (7) - 1984 - Eagle Comics
Nemesis the Warlock - (19) - Quality
Robohunter - (5) - 1984 - Eagle
Sam Slade Robohunter - (31) - 1986 - Quality

Bored now, other runs include;
The Stainless Steel Rat (6)
2000 AD Monthly (54)
2000 AD Monthly Featuring Judge Dredd (6)
2000 AD Showcase Vol 2 (21)
Night Zero (4)
Time Killers (7)
Night Walker (3)
Rapture (2)
Psi-Files (1)
Brit Cit Babes (1)
Zenith Phase 1 (3)
Zenith Phase 2 (3)
Spellbinders (13)
The Scavengers (14-26)
Time Twisters (21)
Mean Machine (1)
Red Razors (3)
Dead Meat (3)
Chopper: Earth, Wind & Fire (2)
Flesh the Legend of Shamana (4)
Halo Jones (12)
Junker (4)
America (Judge Dredd) (2)
Finn (4)
Skizz First Encounter (3)
Harlem Heroes (6)
Armitage (2)
Slaine The Horned God (6)
The Steel Claw (4)
Cyber Crush - Robots in Revolt (14)
The Hanged Man (2)
666 - The Mark Of The Beast (18)
Loner (7)
MACH 1 (9)
Strontium Bitch (2)
Trash (2)
Wireheads (2)
ABC Warriors (4)
Max Brewster the Universal Soldier (4)
The Clown (1)
PSI-Judge: Engrams (2)

If anyone has updates to this list or think there are any more to add just let me know and when I get round to listing all this properly showing issue / date / publisher etc etc I'll add it all on.

At some point I'm hoping to have all these collectors lists up on the web with cover shots for the Hiev Mind to check nd compare etc etc.

Laters
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

vzzbux

I have shed loads of the QC and didn't pay for any of them. All inherited from fellow squaddies in my first 2 years in the army.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

James Stacey

I had the Nemesis and the Anderson ones .. I had no idea there were so many of them