Main Menu

Favourite Non-2000AD Comics Artists?

Started by locustsofdeath!, 23 July, 2009, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Hello all. I've read quite a few threads discussing top 2000AD artists, but I was wondering who your other favorites happen to be. I'll start off:

1. Barry Windsor-Smith: Quite frankly his work on Conan the Barbarian was phenominal enough to top this list for me, but his subsequent work is simply amazing. The detail and intricacy he lends to each page is simply amazing.

2. Tim Vigil: Not sure how many of you on these shores know of him, but he started out in the 80's penciling for a short-lived (for good reason, as their titles were awful outside of those that had Vigil's art in them) SilverWolf comics and has gone on to develope an impressive style. Amazing work.

ENough from me. I'd love to hear your favorites!

Kev Levell

Kevin Nowlan
Joshua Middleton
J.H.Williams III
Mike Mignola
Bill Sienkiewicz
Will Eisner
Adam Hughes
and many others too.

satchmo

Currently it's Marcos Martin, I love his stuff.

JohnMcF

Totally agree about Barry Windsor-Smith.

Also would like to suggest

Charles Burns
Moebius
Milo Manara
Wally Wood
Al Williamson
Will Eisner

Oh, and Robert Crumb of course.

TordelBack

I appear to tend towards the B&W brigade and collaborators of Affable Al, but there's still loads of 'em:

Eddie Campbell (everything he does is perfect)
JH Williams III (so versatile)
Bill Sienkiewicz (excess)
Steve Ditko (Spidey)
Dave Sim (caricature)
Yanick Paquette (pretty girls)
Eric Shanower (crowd scene)
Jackson Guice (more pretty girls)
Rick Veitch (Rare Bit Fiends era)
SR Bissette (Swampie and much-missed Tyrant)
Posy Simmonds (setting)
Barry Windsor-Smith (Conan)
Brian Ching (the best non-2000AD Star Wars artist)
Manara (the prettiest girls)
Moebius (hats)
Los Bros (women)
Bill Watterson (genius)
Joe Matt (weirdo)

LARF

Chris Achilleos
Mark Wilkinson
Jim Burns
Mike Wilks
Julian Opie
Kevlev (check out: http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,25360.180.html Kev should be working for Tooth!)
- Stalker alert!!!  ;D

Roger Godpleton

Off the top of my head...

- Love both Los Bros, although Beto in particular has managed to get under my skin on so many occasions.
- Frank Quitely.
- JH Williams III.
- Jason.
- R Crumb (I have a renewed appreciation for him recently).
- I'm ashamed to say I have only recently developed a proper appreciation for Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

locustsofdeath!

Forgot to mention Jack Katz (The FIrst Kingdom) and Ernie Chan (Savage Sword of Conan). Before I knew he was a part of 2000AD, I would have said Simon Bisley because I was a big Lobo fan in the early 90's. But...I guess he doesn't count anymore, ha.

Kerrin

Mike Mignola.
Eduardo Risso.
Moebius.
Serge Pelle.

Lord Running Clam

I've recently discovered an Italian Artist/Writer called Gipi who does some lovely artwork with watercolours.

Samuel Hiti is another Artist and writer whose work I really like.

OpusAndBill

Hernandez Brothers (esp. Jaime)
John Buscema's BW Conan work.
BWS
Kirby
Steranko
Jack Jaxon
Dave Sheridan
currently enjoying Tom Sutton and Wayne Howards 70s Charltons (esp. their cover work)
Mike Kaluta
Don Newton
Byrne/Zeck/Day 70s era.
Whoever drew the story about the twins in Starlord. Spanish (?) I think. Totally gone blank on the name. Pino maybe?
Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.

Adrian Bamforth

I've always greatly admired Duncan Fegredo, who has only made a few fleeting appearances in 2000AD, and notable for being one of the very few British artists to make it in America without going via 2000AD.

Other than that I love the work of Gene Ha and the combination of him and Zander Cannon kicks the proverbial ass.

Colin YNWA

As ever with these lists ask me tomorrow and you'll get a different answer, well aside from the first three which are defos BUT for today at least today:
Uderzo
Will Eisner
Bill Watterson
Al Williamson
Kevin Nowlan
Frank Cho (when he used remember that it doesn't always have to be cheesecake!)
Joe Kubert
Darwyn Cooke

uncle fester

Ashley Wood and Ben Templesmith. Just found The Veil based on Wood's covers and have finished Welcome To Hoxford  :o Really gutsy (for want of a better word) stuff. And they collaborated on the artwork for Hellspawn. Which I thought was a landmark of sorts.

Well, in my little world, anyway...