Main Menu

Just Saw District 9 (No Spoilers)

Started by locustsofdeath!, 23 August, 2009, 11:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Hey guys - last night I had the pleasure of seeing District 9, and it was amazing! I'm going to see it again tonight, as not only is it that good, but I have a feeling it's a film that needs to be seen at least twice to take in all it has to offer. Can't recommend it enough - it's intelligent, thought-provoking and incredibly realistic sci-fi. I'm sure all of you will enjoy it!

Buddy

judge macbrayne

read about into days news papers and it was all good,hope to see it soon.

the shutdown man

It is fantastic. A great mix of thoughtful and awesome. Also, it has possibly the first on-screen instance of death by HL2 style gravity gun, which is alone worth the price of admission. (Spoiler: The object thrown is a [spoiler]dead pig[/spoiler])
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Roger Godpleton

Thought it was great but it looks a bit too much like a videogame.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Mike Gloady

Sounds very good.  Looking forward to it hugely.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

mygrimmbrother

I take no pleasure in bucking the trend but I found it hugely disappointing. Considering its supposed to be so ground-breaking, I thought it fell back on a number of hackneyed cliches, the much-lauded visual effects were overhyped, and found the lead actor to be loathsome.

I wanted to love it, I swear to grud!

Sorry for being mister negative.

Buttonman

I quite liked it but felt the apartheid allegory was a bit heavy handed - yeah harsh treatment of aliens stuck in a township = harsh treatment of black chaps in townships I get it.

If you don't like the lead you're not going to like the film as his nasaly voice is in it throughout. The fly on the wall film crew angle was a bit old hat too but overall there was a lot to like and it was certainly better than most of the current crop of crud.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 05 September, 2009, 02:12:03 PM
Sorry for being mister negative.
You were mister honest opinion.  That's the point of this place.  I'll let you know which side of the fence I'm on once I've seen it.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Pete Wells

Bah, me, Mrs Pete and Mini Pete have just all been turned away as the cinema staff wouldn't believe that our boy was 15 and he forgot his ID, the plum.

Grrr, we sorted a babysitter out for the littlun and all sorts. I'm SERIOUSLY pissed off!

COMMANDO FORCES

You should have said to them. "Sod you lot we'll watch it on the computer then and when you are all on the dole I will be first in line to laugh in your faces!"
Then again you did the British thing and went home ever so annoyed >:(

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pete Wells on 05 September, 2009, 03:49:38 PM
Bah, me, Mrs Pete and Mini Pete have just all been turned away as the cinema staff wouldn't believe that our boy was 15 and he forgot his ID, the plum.

Grrr, we sorted a babysitter out for the littlun and all sorts. I'm SERIOUSLY pissed off!

Well first you're banned from here - then you get knocked back at the cinema. Pete I wouldn't be pissed off I'd be worried! Are you sure you haven't seen men desked in black hanging out outside your house?????

Anyhoo saw a feature on 'District 9' during BBC Breakfast this morning. Not in itself that interesting BUT the bloke who introduced the feature did so by saying (and I parphrase here) the film 'Offers a rarely seen mix of Sci-fi and satire'. Well I almost spat my tea out and my poor wife had to put up with me ranting on about how sci-fi by and large is built on satire. Really that's just poor!

Devons Daddy

WOW what a movie

the brillance and the challenging nature of the ending,
sci-fi meets real world and tells the truth how is would likely be.

forget close encounters and star trek. this was gritty,real and thought provoking.

best summary i can offer, i left the cinema and felt i should join an activist group for the aliens rights, which of course is nonsense,yet shows the depth of script brought to the screen.

mode breaking SCI-FI. a truly ground breaking genre.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Keef Monkey

I loved it, thought it looked amazing and the general atmosphere was a lot grittier and more disturbing than I expected. The violence was pretty full on for the certificate too, reminded me of Robocop in places with all the mech-based splatter going on. The satire was a bit full on, but not enough that I found it grating, and while some don't seem too enamored with the lead actor I thought he was incredible (it's his first acting job apparently too).

My bassist is South African though and really disliked it, he mentioned he found the portrayal of the Nigerians in the shanty town quite offensive. I can kind of see where he's coming from, [spoiler]they were portrayed as pretty villainous so I can see why it could be looked at that way. The example he gave though was that it apparently alludes to the Nigerians interbreeding with the aliens, not sure why that would be particularly offensive, and honestly can't remember that myself. All I recall was that they were providing human prostitutes to the "prawns" to make a quick buck.[/spoiler]

Disate

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 23 August, 2009, 11:30:18 AM
Hey guys - last night I had the pleasure of seeing District 9, and it was amazing! I'm going to see it again tonight, as not only is it that good, but I have a feeling it's a film that needs to be seen at least twice to take in all it has to offer. Can't recommend it enough - it's intelligent, thought-provoking and incredibly realistic sci-fi. I'm sure all of you will enjoy it!

it was great movie done on only 30 million budget , was an great movie .