Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPMaybe

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 11 September, 2015, 06:30:03 PM
Quote from: Steven Denton on 11 September, 2015, 11:41:39 AM
Hi Jimmy Baker's Assistant, your wall of text including random parables and implications of complicity/tacit approval of abuse will be along shortly...

Well indeed that's exactly what happened.

I know there's no point in arguing, though, and I look forward to the Labour leadership result tomorrow, at which point the topic of this thread might revert back to politics!

God damn it, I bit.  Fucking siwoti syndrome.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

The Legendary Shark

You do know the difference between collectivism (Ayn Rand's view) and individualism (my view) don't you?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

This is a good robust exchange, and I'm pleased to see that Sharky is bloodied but unbowed beneath the writhing dogpile (even as I'm dismayed by some of his arguments), but I again have to comment on the savage eloquence of JPMaybe's writing - "fractally wrong gobbledygook", damn that's a cool phrase. This thread brings out the best in you, JPM!

The Legendary Shark

It's just a pity he relies on idiocy himself. Claiming that the role of the police is to curtail the actions of others without discriminating between curtailing lawful and unlawful actions is simply moronic. The role of the police is to protect people from those who would do them harm. As I said earlier, one right everyone does have is the right to self-defence, either individually or collectively. As we do have this right, we can delegate it to the police.
He also thinks that removing "government" control from education and healthcare constitutes reversion - as if it means throwing out every advance made in the last hundred years. It's just shallow rubbish designed to hide his inability to find any deeper arguments against my position or in favour of his own.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

It's just a pity he relies on idiocy himself. Claiming that the role of the police is to curtail the actions of others without discriminating between curtailing lawful and unlawful actions is simply moronic. The role of the police is to protect people from those who would do them harm. As I said earlier, one right everyone does have is the right to self-defence, either individually or collectively. As we do have this right, we can delegate it to the police.
He also thinks that removing "government" control from education and healthcare constitutes reversion - as if it means throwing out every advance made in the last hundred years. It's just shallow rubbish designed to hide his inability to find any deeper arguments against my position or in favour of his own.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

locustsofdeath!

Hey, do you think it's just a pity he relies on idiocy himself?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

The Legendary Shark

Heh, I know - somehow managing a triple post when accusing someone else of idiocy! Don't I feel a right berk about now...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JPMaybe

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2015, 06:43:35 PM
You do know the difference between collectivism (Ayn Rand's view) and individualism (my view) don't you?

..sure, do you want to tell me about Martin Luther King's activism for the KKK as well?
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.

The Legendary Shark

Martin Luther King was a KKK activist? I hadn't heard that - do tell.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JPMaybe

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2015, 07:07:50 PM

Yeah, unlawful stuff like not paying your taxes, exercising the rights of the population as a whole to defend itself against harmful actions, like runaway wealth inequality, lax food safety, air pollution ad infinitum.   Please, without reference to your inanely sophomoric conception of what constitutes "law", demonstrate this right doesn't exist.  Given that any argument over rights will at some point involve subjective appeal to opinion, I'll note that every single political theorist ever except pure anarchists recognise the right of society as a whole to curtail individual actions when the sum of those actions would be harmful.

So intervention of the state, was, in fact, beneficial, and your argument was pure bullshit?

JPMaybe

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2015, 07:26:50 PM
Martin Luther King was a KKK activist? I hadn't heard that - do tell.

I... just... you genuinely disquiet me.  Your post: "You do know the difference between collectivism (Ayn Rand's view) and individualism (my view) don't you?".  Please tell me some more about Ayn Rand's advocacy of collectivism.

Mikey

Quote from: Modern Panther on 11 September, 2015, 05:37:53 PM
I hate anyone who doesn't worship the volcano god.

Per igneous ad victoria brother.

You know what the key issue I have with much of the Sharky view? It's as if no one has ever thought about the nature and role of government and come to their own conclusions as to how they deal with it. It sometimes reminds me of people who reckon because they just thought of something inside their own head, it must be a new idea.

I tangentially agree with some of the points of principal, but really feel that overall, rampant individualism isn't my cuppa synthi-caff.

There's sort of no gubmint in Norn Iron Sharky - you might like it!

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.