Main Menu

First Comics You Bought for Your Collection

Started by Emperor, 27 July, 2010, 03:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blixab

For me it was Battle circa 1975/76 and then when 2000Ad first came out used to get that as well.

Similar to Colin_YNWA I collected all these comics only to leave home in the early 80's and find that my Mum had given away the box containing all the first 100 or so issues to a local jumble sale. The oldest one I had left was 105 so it took me a fair time to back fill the ones gifted to that jumble sale. Oh well, if it get someone else interested then it went to a good cause. It didn't seem like that the first time i found out they had gone - Aaaaaaaaargh.....

JayzusB.Christ

Bananaman, Doodlebug, Tweet William, i bleeding loved it.  Back when it was considered a great laugh to show teachers beating the shit out of kids, and bullies kicking weedy geeks round the playground.

best line ever:  The young Slobb family son from the Snobs and the Slobbs, reading Nutty on his living room floor: 'Heh, heh.  We're funny this week.'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

mogzilla

bought for me but i wanted...2000ad ,battle ,action force transformers, spider-man weekly, batman ... only started buying them myself when i came back to the fold so twoth meg spawn and all his spin offs .

chaingunchimp

i had all my comics bought for me when i was younger same as most people on here.
but the first comic i bought myself was 2000 AD Prog #951.
which i still have even though its totally destroyed.
pretty good issue, i remember totally loving slane and the mothman story.
also my first 200ad
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

Darren Stephens

My uncle got me the first Dredd annual (1980?) for christmas when I was a lad...it seemed a strange choice back then, as I did'nt read the weekly and read mainly american superhero comics. So thanks Uncle Jim for setting me on the road to lifelong thrillpower! ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

maryanddavid

My uncle would come every thursday evening with a load of comics, he owned a shop. There were 2000ad, Victor, WhizzerAnd, Eagle, Tammy, and Scream.
When I started buying myself The Beano was every week, and what money would allow I would get various Libraries, Buster, Whoopee, Topper, Beezer.
It wasnt until my brother stopped getting 2000ad because he thought he was too old, I started to get it, Prog 381 IIRC.
Since that I bought from the Newsstand Battle/Storm force(hated Action Force, picked it up when Storm Force started) Wildcat, Punisher, Dragons Claw, Overload for a while, Knights of Pendragon Crisis, Revolver,Strip, JD Meg, Deadline when I could find it. Im pretty sure I still have every comic I bought. My kids are haveing a great time going through my Annuals and Beano Libraries.

David

SmallBlueThing

To be honest, I don't think there was a British "boys' comic" published between 1978 and 1986 that I DIDN'T buy regularly. I had very understanding parents and nothing else to spnd my pocket money on.

That changed in 1986, when I discovered girls and beer. But I just cut back a bit on the comics, and didn't stop them completely, like many did, it seems.

SBT

SMOKESCREEN:ED:9

The first comic?...ummm I'm pretty sure it was  beano or a Dandy for about 12p...probably tucked under me arm..with a bag of penny sweets (shrimps..white mice...the bracelet with the watch of course, and most likey a sherbet dipdab.

Radbacker

I really just didn't get into comics as a lad (sorry Atari 2600 and cartoons were my thing, comics were just static pictures to me) but do remember seeing some 2000AD's in my brothers room and having a glance through.
Then my first year out of school (that'd be around 93) read a couple of 2000AD's while suitably mind altered at a mates place was hooked and went out and brought my very first issue the next week (had the last part of the dreadfull Sugarbeet story and some other pap, but something must have appealed to me as I haven't missed an issue since).  So my first comic i brough was 2000AD when I was 18 years old.
I didn't get into US comics until I read Preacher reprints in the Meg and realised that US comics weren't just tights and capes.  Then started to get into Superhero comics while following certain writters (Morrisons New Xmen in particular).

CU Radbacker

Withnail's liver

First one I remember getting was a Superman Pocketbook (still got it upstairs somewhere more for nostalgia purposes).  Funny thing as I got older the more I went off the "Man of Steel".  Think it was the whole underpants over the tights thing, I prefered Batman as he seemed to have a much darker edge.

First TPBs I bought were Titan book reprints of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.  Picked up Vol 6,7,8,9 and 11 from a remaindered bookshop on a whim at (what seemed like a fortune at the time) £3 each. 

Totally. Blew. Me. Away.

Changed my idea as to what comics were about and capable of (Moore will always remain a genius to me) and it's no exageration to say, looking back, buying those books was one of those life changing moments.  I certainly wouldn't have read things like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Invisibles (to name a very few)

It has since taken me years to track down the volumes I was missing.  And although DC have since released them all in colour (or should I say color?) I won't replace those original black and white volumes.

Blimey, I'm goin' all misty...
I have a heart condition.  If you hit me it's murder!

dweezil2

Although I read my mate's copy of 2000ad, it wasn't until around the 'Cursed Earth Saga' that I began buying it regularly. Also early comics for me would of been 'Starlord', 'Star Wars weekly'(from issue 1), 'Starblazer' and some of those early Marvel reprints.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Daveycandlish

My dad was a huge comics fan so I had most of mine bought for me in the 70's and early 80's - the likes of Battle, Victor, 2000AD and Eagle. The first comic I really shelled out for on a regular basis was Warrior. I never really got into US comics until the late 80s by which time I was working and bought stuff like Hellblazer, Marvelman and way too much other stuff
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

SuperSurfer

I used to be a complete Marvel nut as a kid. Started with Mighty World of Marvel (can't remember the issue) and then with Spider-Man Comics Weekly issue 2. Just couldn't get hold of issue 1 to my frustration. In fact I only found out recently from Lew Stringer's blog what the free Spidey mask in issue 1 looked like. Has been bugging me for about 37 years.