Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: milstar on 02 July, 2021, 09:41:36 PM...some people tried to justify the casting in remake of The Magnificent Seven, saying that Wild West was much diverse than we know, when arguably it wasn't.

The Magnificent Seven is a piece of genre fantasy – a western remake of The Seven Samurai. It doesn't matter what tone of skin the cast are.

Funt Solo

"Black cowboys in the American West accounted for up to an estimated 25 percent of workers in the range-cattle industry from the 1860s to 1880s..."

"Buffalo Soldiers originally were members of the 10th Cavalry Regiment of the United States Army, formed on September 21, 1866..."

Feel the Love by Rudimental shows the Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club ("part of a century-long tradition of black urban cowboys and horsemanship in Philadelphia"), depicted (some of them co-starring) in the recent Concrete Cowboy. That's the movie link.

Also, here's Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley & The Wailers.

---

Moving onto The Magnificent Seven (2016), in particular, which is set in 1879 and features Denzel Washington in the lead role of Sam Chisolm, a U.S. Marshal. His role is based on real life deputy U.S. Marshal Bass Reeves (who served from 1875-1893).

---

A strange day, today - every time someone tells me there weren't any black people around doing a particular job at a given point in history, I keep finding them doing that job at that point in history. And I'm not even looking very hard.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Ah yes. 18th century USA. A place and time  famous for having no black peoples, nor any form of conflict pertaining to the continuing enslavement of black people.

I'm calling trolling at this point.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 03 July, 2021, 12:26:27 AM
aaaaaaaaanyyywaaayyyyy....

THE TOMORROW WAR

2.25 hours of paradox ignoring tripe. No matter how low your expectations, and mine were pretty darn low, this is worse than you can imagine.

It's a travesty that plot holes are waved through "because sci-fi".

Questions from my youngest include:

"If they are fighting aliens, then why are they training on human shaped targets?"

"If the aliens are bullet-proof, then why are the soldiers given guns? And why are they not told not to shoot at the armoured parts?"

The only paradox that is honoured here is this: someone clearly thought this film was worth making, yet in making it you have something of no worth.

I quite enjoyed it as dumb action fodder, but even I kept thinking this is pretty lazy. Where were the Heavy Tanks if their vehicles could be so easily overturned, and how come handheld pistols appeared to do more damage than futuristic Assault Rifles? 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

milstar

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 July, 2021, 10:40:15 PM
So, you're determined that there were no black soldiers on Omaha beach, despite seeing a photo of them, because of The Magnificent Seven? Okay. Figure I can safely assume trolling or idiocy here. I shall retreat. You have the floor.

TMS is just one of the reasons. And for the record, the authenticity of the photo is unconfirmed. Sorry, but it is. And if you really care about objectivity, you wouldn't bleat about, let's say a scene on Omaha beach with no black soldiers, than a scene with no non-white soldiers in let's say Burma (who took part in the conflict equally or more than native UK troops).

But since it is mentioned, showing an image of black cowboy in the Wild West is a type of oxymoron. Cowboy, as someone who supervises a property under orders of his landowner - just to make that clear. Not gunslinger or outlaw. Still, those cowboys were extremely scarce in numbers.

The only idiocy here is stating that history lied us too long. And honestly, we have nothing else to discuss elsewhere.

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 July, 2021, 08:38:38 AM
Ah yes. 18th century USA. A place and time  famous for having no black peoples, nor any form of conflict pertaining to the continuing enslavement of black people.

I'm calling trolling at this point.

If the trolling is saying that black people had no part above their horrible enslavement, I would agree.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 July, 2021, 02:06:32 AM
The Magnificent Seven is a piece of genre fantasy – a western remake of The Seven Samurai. It doesn't matter what tone of skin the cast are.

Well, I suppose the controversy behind U-571 also doesn't matter.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 July, 2021, 11:01:58 PM
Quote from: milstar on 02 July, 2021, 09:41:36 PM
Just because I happen to give more credit on the people who substantially battled (and ultimately won) both conflicts in the trenches of European soil, doesn't make me racist.

Consistently ignoring evidence that completely disproves your point kind of does.

So far I haven't seen that someone disapproved my point.
I can go on like this forever.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Hawkmumbler

The Omaha Beach photo was taken on 22nd August 1944 and is from the National Museum Archives you absolute spoon.

https://time.com/5599905/d-day-barrage-balloon-hero/

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: milstar on 03 July, 2021, 11:41:30 AM
I can go on like this forever.

...and you're proud of this?
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 03 July, 2021, 08:15:18 PM

This is straight-up trolling. I've blocked this little fucker and I suggest you do the same.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

(Sorry, that previous post reads very unclearly — milstar is plainly trolling, not Mr Pops!)

Lorenzo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 July, 2021, 08:30:47 PM

This is straight-up trolling. I've blocked this little fucker and I suggest you do the same.
Is this sort of language really necessary?
It looks like plain ignorance to me (from Milstar that is). If you want this place to be an echo chamber then by all means block anyone who doesn't listen. Alternatively, show him more evidence that he is wrong or just ignore him. Broadcasting that you are blocking him is not exactly helpful or inclusive is it?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Lorenzo on 04 July, 2021, 11:55:38 AM
Alternatively, show him more evidence that he is wrong or just ignore him.

Done that, as have others, some of them at length. It's clearly trolling at this stage and I have neither the time, inclination, or spare millibars of mercury on my blood pressure to engage any further.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 July, 2021, 07:22:39 AM
(Sorry, that previous post reads very unclearly — milstar is plainly trolling, not Mr Pops!)

To be fairrr I am a bit of a dick sometimes.

I watched Serpico last night and enjoyed it throughout. Only the quality of Pacino's performance contrasting with some iffy co-stars was occasionally distracting.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

I was like Milstar once. A petty contrarian who asked constantly for proof of other people's assertions (read as: 'object reality') and replayed like a stuck record when proven wrong.

I was also 16 and a bloody idiot, so unless the fellow in question occupies the same headspace i'm not willing to offer any further discussion to dissuade an evidently nonsense position that has already been rebuked by multiple people, often in great detail. Certainly more so than the arrogant position is entitled to.

TOKYO: THE LAST MEGALOPOLIS

An evil Melmoth the Wanderer figure attempts to merge the plains of existence inhabited by earth and hell together only to be foiled by a series of artists, architects, journalists and epistolary alcoholics throughout history. Oh, it's written and directed by Akkio Jissoji. So theres also a shit ton of occultism involved.

milstar

Ah yes, if you disagree onto something, you must be a troll. In where official history is far from a seldom links posted on this forum. Which, I must say, statement that and Wild West and both world wars were more diverse and non-white people had much bigger contribution than being enslavement victims, equals propaganda done in Song of the South. Everything else makes you a historical revisionist cunt.

I mean, here and there you could find an exception to the rule, a black man who possessed a land in the Wild West, Tuskagee airmen, Red Tails etc, soldiers who fought for Nazi Germany in Africa, British Commonwealth... But let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we?

Actually, I am done with this here. I am sure there are other threads we can butt our heads with.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Woolly

Quote from: Lorenzo on 04 July, 2021, 11:55:38 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 July, 2021, 08:30:47 PM

Is this sort of language really necessary?
It looks like plain ignorance to me (from Milstar that is). If you want this place to be an echo chamber then by all means block anyone who doesn't listen. Alternatively, show him more evidence that he is wrong or just ignore him. Broadcasting that you are blocking him is not exactly helpful or inclusive is it?

There's things going on in this thread that are faaar more worthy of your time than Jim's choice of language...

Milstar - Can you please post up some kind of resources for your info? You write like you have some sort of historical knowledge that the rest of us aren't privy to, if you'll pardon my choice of words there.
You've discounted a historical photo as 'unconfirmed', which leads me to think that you believe the other opinions you've posted (regarding diversity in conflict) *have* been confirmed. Again, can you please post your sources?