Main Menu

Word Press/Comic Press Help Needed!

Started by locustsofdeath!, 06 March, 2012, 08:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Hello folks - is there anyone out there who might be willing to help me out in setting up a Word Press page that looks like this: http://bearmageddon.com/ (but a bit simpler)? It's for my El Bigote comic (previews here:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Bigote/268079929911650); the friend I had helping me did what good friends usually do - and bailed  ::).

I am just hopeless when it comes to this stuff.

I can provide all the art content, I'd just need help putting it together. I'm a poor bastard, so I'm looking for someone who can do this out of the goodness of his/her heart or for a small fee.

Thanks in advance.

Bolt-01

Matt- if you have a blog already you don't need this. Your blog can do pretty much all of the stuff on that bear page (Which has some lousy SFX btw) It is all about how you set it out.

You just need someone to help you learn how to sort this out for yourself and then to actually sit and sort it.

And remember, not all friends bail on you.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 06 March, 2012, 10:34:57 PM
Matt- if you have a blog already you don't need this. Your blog can do pretty much all of the stuff on that bear page (Which has some lousy SFX btw) It is all about how you set it out.

You just need someone to help you learn how to sort this out for yourself and then to actually sit and sort it.

And remember, not all friends bail on you.

Cheers, Bolt.

I do have the blog, but I want something with its own domain name. I've been fiddling around with Word Press, but it's impenetrable to me so far. So any help would be great, yeah.

What I like about Bearmageddon is the feature that allows folks to comment after every page, I find the entire site really easy to browse through!

...oh, and my friend is one I've had since I was a wee lad, so I'm used to him flaking out on me, ha ha...

Emperor

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 March, 2012, 10:58:27 PM
I do have the blog, but I want something with its own domain name.

As I said in the previous thread on this you can map a domain onto a blog at Blogspot or Tumblr, which is a handy first stage:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,34953.0.html

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 06 March, 2012, 10:58:27 PMWhat I like about Bearmageddon is the feature that allows folks to comment after every page, I find the entire site really easy to browse through!

Then you'll need to pony up some cash, but not as much as you'd think - I recommended Dreamhost in another thread and they have one click installation of all sorts of handy software, one of which is Wordpress. So you could very quickly set-up hosting there and get Wordpress installed as easily as you would installing anything on your computer. There are a few technical aspects you might not be familiar with but what you want is pretty straightforward and they'll walk you through things. Also DJ Coffman gives you a great walk through of every step, so it couldn't be easier (he also uses Dreamhost as his example):

www.djcoffman.com/how-to-host-your-own-webcomic/

So you can get the domain and hook it into your blog as a quick interim measure, but if you want something like Bearmageddon then there probably isn't much point fannying around - you can do this quickly and easily. It should be easy enough for you to do yourself but if you have any problems give me a nudge and I should be able to sort it out.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Emperor on 07 March, 2012, 01:12:06 AM
It should be easy enough for you to do yourself but if you have any problems give me a nudge and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers Emps!

I'll fiddle with it (the hosting site, not...um...yeah...) through the night and nudge you ( :-[) if I can't get it done (oh, the innuendos keep...coming...).

There was something else I wanted to nudge ( :-[) you about anyway, so I'll be in touch.