Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Bear and his trusty lupinesque companion Dickhead live in Cookstown....he'd never find his way to Belfast from way out there. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 August, 2015, 03:26:01 PM
I once accidentally put the teletext football results on screen just as my dad was settling down to watch a match he recorded - he was not best pleased.
Ha. Apparently, my mate's dad would be quite scrupulous about not telling him the scores in the evening. He would, however, yawn and say he was off to bed when a goal was scored two minutes into the highlights...
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

So for Star Wars, I have really only been interested in the films. To the extent that I don't even know characters names if they aren't mentioned in the films.  I do hope these new films are made for me rather than people who know about the expanded universe.

* Ok, I will admit to playing some Star Wars games and reading the first Han Solo novels (Brian Daley?) and a couple of Lando novels. And Marvel comics. But I never thought they were 'real' Star Wars.

Ps. "knocked one out" ... that made me laugh
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

I went through a phase of reading some of the spin-off novels as a teenager (and still have a soft spot for the original episodes 7-9, Timothy Zahn's 'Heir to the Empire' trilogy) but went off them pretty quickly. They kinda milked it to death.

There's a lot to be said for just giving audiences a glimpse of something and letting their imagination do the work. When you start to fill in all of the blanks it loses something. Having every single tertiary character in Star Wars have all these connections to each other just makes the universe feel so small. Prequels and 'sidequels' rarely ever work, and there are few phrases in modern moviegoing (or videogaming) more groan-worthy than 'this character/plot twist makes sense if you've read the prequel novel/comic'.

Especially with sci fi and fantasy, it can be best to keep things vague and not over-explain every aspect, or draw too many direct parallels between fictional worlds and reality. It's a problem I had with the prequels - I always remember that bit in Attack of the Clones when they go into the bar and they've got Space American Football playing on a big screen, and they get offered Space Drugs. It's so silly. And, you know, midichlorians.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 August, 2015, 04:33:31 PM
* Ok, I will admit to playing some Star Wars games and reading the first Han Solo novels (Brian Daley?) and a couple of Lando novels. And Marvel comics. But I never thought they were 'real' Star Wars.

The Brian Daley Han Solo novels were great fun, and Daley is/was probably the best at capturing the character (from what I've read, which was a lot at one time but nothing for many many years). Those Lando books were...wonky.

TordelBack

The Daley Solos were brill, the Ann Crispin ones not as good.

I wouldn't think anyone has anything to fear from EU references in TFA - great and unpopular lengths have been gone to to clean the slate.  I was only drawing parallels with similar plots and plot points in the old EU for fun.

As I frequently drone on about, one of the biggest problems TPM had was its attempt to manufacture in one go the same kind of multimedia EU that had evolved organically over 20 years around the OT, becoming part of the nerdy cultural lexicon (e.g. so nerds know that the 'other' rebel fighter in Star Wars is called a Y-Wing despite no-one ever calling them that on screen). In effect it presented itself as a multimedia proposition, where the film was merely the centerpiece of a mess of books, guides, toys and games - and relied on the audience to get up to speed on (and buy) all that stuff, when in fact they just said 'huh?'.

I can't see Disney making that mistake.

Tiplodocus

Max and Zollux was it? I even drew my own comic strip of Han Solo's Revenge.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Grugz

I can assume the kindle version is the usa version as blue max's compadre is called the original "bollux"
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

TordelBack

Quote from: Grugz on 19 August, 2015, 08:53:26 PM
I can assume the kindle version is the usa version as blue max's compadre is called the original "bollux"

They didn't really change it for the UK version did they? That's hilarious!

Goaty

ThryllSeekyr

I thought I found a rough outline of the film.....

Started reading the thing and it begins with a [spoiler]a light sabre falling through space and landing on some world and then eventually into the carrying compartment of that little ball shaped droid.[/spoiler]

That's all I bothered to read before I lost the page after being forced into restarting the computer.....

Thought, I might have found the link somewhere on this thread.

Unless other Forces were trying to leak to me the story.

TordelBack

How spoilertastic is this thread likely to get, do you think? I'd rather not back out of it, but we'rs still 114 days out and things are getting hairy...

ZenArcade

I wouldn't worry too much Tordel, if that spoiler is the plot I'll sever my gonads and eat them. It is risible. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 25 August, 2015, 05:48:31 PM
if that spoiler is the plot I'll sever my gonads and eat them. It is risible. Z

My anticipation for Ep. 7 has squared.

Professor Bear

Star Wars is a big enough thing to deserve its own Spoiler Free thread, surely?  All spoilery posts removed by mods and folded into this one?  I think it deserves it, as it was partially responsible for the success of a certain comic launched in 1977.

Quote from: ZenArcade on 25 August, 2015, 05:48:31 PM
I wouldn't worry too much Tordel, if that spoiler is the plot I'll sever my gonads and eat them. It is risible. Z

JJA doesn't have a lot of time for things like logic or good plotting, his career has been marked by flimsy setup for action setpieces, sometimes curbed by good writers or firm producers.  I don't know that Star Wars 7 has either, as the production process hasn't exactly been very long.