Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Picked up the complete Dollhouse in my local Blockbuster's 'so long and thanks for all the fish' sale.

I had been warned that the opening of this series was weak. But, my goodness, that felt unusually vapid.

I have faith that Whedon will turn it around, though.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Professor Bear

Rod Serling's life story is worth a gander, if you can.  I like how he used to go wandering in one of his old jobs, having daydreams for fantasy stories trying to sort out how he'd write them and make the plots work in his head much to the despair of his co-workers - US servicemen deployed in "The Death Squad", a notoriously high-casualty platoon whose fatality rate once reached a record low of 50 percent.  His adventuring came to an end when he took an arrow to the knee - no, really.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 November, 2013, 04:35:06 PM
Rod Serling's life story is worth a gander, if you can.  I like how he used to go wandering in one of his old jobs, having daydreams for fantasy stories trying to sort out how he'd write them and make the plots work in his head much to the despair of his co-workers - US servicemen deployed in "The Death Squad", a notoriously high-casualty platoon whose fatality rate once reached a record low of 50 percent.  His adventuring came to an end when he took an arrow to the knee - no, really.

Thanks for the tip - I had a flick through Wikipedia and was amazed he even lived long enough after the war to create The Twilight Zone.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 18 November, 2013, 04:35:06 PM

It's worth watching the feature documentary: Submitted for your approval.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 November, 2013, 11:46:01 PMIt's worth watching the feature documentary: Submitted for your approval.

Fascinating (if overworked) stuff, that.  Interesting to see the very same external constraints and pressures that shaped and elevated Star Trek and 2000AD at work in Sterling's career - a need to slip the good stuff under the radar of the commercial and morality police by using allegory. And robots. 

I had no idea that Sterling wrote Requiem for a Heavyweight -  never seen his Jack Palance original (although the clips here make it look ace), but I love the Anthony Quinn/Mickey Rooney movie version.

And such cool interviewees in there!

Link Prime

Due to the fact it clashed with Downton Abbey (Mrs. Primes fav show) over the past few months, I hadn't seen any of 'Love / Hate' season 4.
Got the box-set there at the weekend, and gorged on all 6 episodes.

For me, bringing the perspective of the Gardai into play was a brilliant idea, and really made for a more satisfying show.
Didn't hurt that the excellent Brian F. O'Byrne was chewing scenery like it was the top of a Bic pen.

The seemingly insurmountable forces stacking up against Nidge's gang had a decent pay-off, and I was very happy to hear the series has been renewed for another year.

Ireland's answer to The Wire? Not quite- but it's getting there.

Hawkmumbler

Just watched an episode of Never Mind the Buzzcocks where Huey Morgan through a strop and nearly took out Phil Jupitus's eye out with a mug. The guy knows his music, but he seriously can not take a joke.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah I saw that, what was the deal there?

I think he was getting agitated at Rizzle Kicks which is fair enough but he definitely comes off worse than them!

Hawkmumbler

He claims to have become a bit embittered by how formulaic the series has got. I mean, I still enjoy it immensely, but it sure hasn't changed much in years. Still, no excuse to let a game get to you and get all uppity.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: HdE on 18 November, 2013, 04:33:13 PM
Picked up the complete Dollhouse in my local Blockbuster's 'so long and thanks for all the fish' sale.

I had been warned that the opening of this series was weak. But, my goodness, that felt unusually vapid.

I have faith that Whedon will turn it around, though.

I see what you did there  ::)

I think you made a pun, when you mentioned Faith. As in the other Slayer character from the third or fourth season of Buffy the Vampire-Slayer.

I was wondering if you did that on purpose.

She's in Dollhouse as well.

Though I never got into that show or Firefly

I follow that actress on twitter.

Who ever she is.

Bobblehead

Just bought Breaking Bad Season 1 to see what all the fuss is about. Only watched 3 episodes in and im loving it already,will watch a couple more tonight. I agree with people who say its well acted,well written and tragic/funny at the same time.

Also watching Bates Motel on catch-up,watched episodes 4-9 last week and the ex-missus is coming round tonight to watch the finale and some more Breaking Bad with me.

My daughter Amelia is currently watching Scooby Doo and Chip n' Dale cartoons. These are 'amazing' and Scooby Doo is 'scary'. We watched the whole 2 seasons of Mystery Incorporated together (about 52 episodes), i was quite impressed,it was funny and clever at times with knowing winks for the grown ups about certain films (Hellraiser and Terminator) and jokes about the old shows (Flim-Flam is doing 20years for theft atm and Scrappy Doo- 'we dont talk about him')

I, Cosh

While trying to decide whether Breaking Bad 3 or Buffy 5 is more deserving of my attention, I find myself halfway through I, Claudius.

Bloody Hell, it's good. While I vaguley remember it being on tv when I was a kid, I don't think I've ever sat down to watch it as an adult. I can imagine the odd modern person being put off by the staginess and some of the shrill screaming but it don't bother me guv. Amongst the obvious amusement at seeing young versions of bigger names (Captain Picard with hair!), it's particularly fascinating to see that Brian Blessed was once a real  actor.

Also interesting that, while both the history itself and the talk centres around the male stars, it's Sian Phillips' Livia who rules here. Some nicely arch dialogue in places which would probably just be replaced with the sex being alluded to. Plenty more bloody action to look forward to with Nero and Caligula just coming of age.
We never really die.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Bobblehead on 20 November, 2013, 03:40:46 PM

Just bought Breaking Bad Season 1 to see what all the fuss is about. Only watched 3 episodes in and im loving it already,will watch a couple more tonight. I agree with people who say its well acted,well written and tragic/funny at the same time.

Just watched the end of season 5, damn I envy you having it all new and unseen before you! Excellent series, brilliant cast, cracking scripts. Loved every minute of it.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Bobblehead on 20 November, 2013, 03:40:46 PMWe watched the whole 2 seasons of Mystery Incorporated together (about 52 episodes), i was quite impressed,it was funny and clever at times with knowing winks for the grown ups about certain films (Hellraiser and Terminator) and jokes about the old shows (Flim-Flam is doing 20years for theft atm and Scrappy Doo- 'we dont talk about him')

I was more impressed that they got a gay Velma in there without it being the punchline to a joke, and that the series became a prequel for every other version of Scooby Doo ever by doing a crossover with Twin Peaks.  The clever way it utilises Christianity (specifically Catholicism) as a force for good throughout the gang's meta-arc of a quest for secular truth is both commendable and virtually unique in sci-fi outside the odd episode of the Twilight Zone, too - "all things can be forgiven" still gets me right here.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 November, 2013, 08:22:50 PMI find myself halfway through I, Claudius.

Bloody Hell, it's good.

It really is, I watch it every couple of years and I'm always bowled over.  I fantasise about a future version where all the performances are retained but the exterior sets replaced with expansive and seamless CGI, and the big set-piece spectacles of the books are inserted.  This is a perfect version where all that works, obviously, and not the one we'd actually get, which would be awful.