Main Menu

Glasgow Comic Con 2013

Started by Satanist, 12 January, 2013, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I don't believe that was Satanist family they were too lovely for the likes of him, he's obviously hired them for the day   ;)
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

I right enjoyed that as well. met a few boarders that I hadn't met before - all lovely.

Highlights for me:
-Alan Davis just seemed a lovely bloke and his "getting To Know" session was great.
- Mike Ploog also came over well on the DC/Marvel panel - wish I'd queud for a sketch now
- Quality time with John and Carlos - we bumped into them in the street and took a flyer and asked them to come for a quick pint - and they did! Awesome way to finish a great weekend.
- Thanks to Legendary Shark for his vectorised prog cover.
- Watching Hannah Berry at work doing a gorgeous watercolour for the lass in front of me in the queue. Thanks to Cosh for putting me onto her
-Vampire Vixens - fantastic that it sold out - it's a very fun romp with a spectacularly funny money shot in the middle.
- Buttonman revealing that he has only ever had two shits in public toilets in his whole life.
- Fascinating to see the enthusiasm that the teens have for Fancy Dress (or cosplay if you must). The guy as Rorschach must have been melting inside
- Those cocktails seemed like a good idea at the time. I am not sure they were.
- Dode C - you make sure you do exactly what those two nice men told you to do immediately.

Apologies if I didn't single you out - genuinely everybody was great.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2013, 12:36:08 PM
- Thanks to Legendary Shark for his vectorised prog cover.

haha! the coliective trepidation as Mark/shark pull out half a dozen blank brown envelopes and offered them round the table! he's a gent.
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 July, 2013, 12:36:08 PM

- Buttonman revealing that he has only ever had two shits in public toilets in his whole life.

Can I just correct you there? It was two work toilets - never done one in a public lav. Eaugh! The very thought!

One was when I had a stomoch upset and the other before my second driving test.

I am not a wierdo.

The Legendary Shark

I've had to break in to another hotel to write this and will have to type quietly to avoid waking the asthmatics.

What a fantastic weekend! Fun and japes with Colin "Happy" MacShrapnel; John Wagner giving me his notes from his talk on writing (swoon!); Simon Bisley giving me or not giving me the evils all night and me not knowing who he was or why he kept staring at me; presenting Iz and the Whittle with a ceremonial dangly carrot and not receiving a black eye for it (although my stones are still throbbing); spending an illicit night surrounded by Wells' and Gronk's disconcerting apparatus; being charged with the location and procurement of something called "A Hot Scotch Pie and Tattie Scones" for a personage of some considerable eminence; meeting George Coleman, the artist who 'popped my cherry', so to speak, in FutureQuake; discovering that the hairy thing covered in twigs and sleeping in the park was actually my editor (a pleasure to meet you, Rich!); sharing cigarettes on a sun-blistered kerbside with Colin MacNeil and Dog Deever (bloody lovely chaps both); managing (at last!) to restrain myself from going on about the bloody bankers and the knackered but easily fixable fiat currency system every five minutes (although I may have mentioned it here and there); getting a lovely sketch (with a lovely personal inscription) from Carlos; meeting all you lovely people and finding that absolutely none of you pose any kind of threat whatsoever and are what we in my village call 'gradely folk'; only just realising as I write this that the lass in the flowery dress and the purple boots was probably Judo (d'oh!) - belated hi!; getting drunk; sharing a big lump of breakfast grease with bits of meat, eggs and vegetables in it with Pete Wells, Gronk and Richmond Clements and then having George Coleman and the Cosh (who is a proper gentleman and makes me wish I had a forelock) turn up to help; (possibly) narrowly avoiding being picked up by two men with (possibly) nefarious designs on my fundament; being accused of enjoying illicit and inappropriate (not to mention highly improbable) relations of an intimate nature with David Cameron and being advised to return to the land whence I came by a beggar who, having not taken no for an answer, insisted on singing at me as I tried to sneak a cigarette outside a bar; being mistaken for Colin MacNeil; seeing Colin MacNeil being mistaken for me; chatting with Alan Grant and hiding the fact that I had no knowledge whatever of the topic under discussion (The Bogie Man); watching the panicked locals scatter before an assembled throng of hardy cosplayers as our nearest star tried its best to burn every living thing to a quivering, sweating, crisp (those guys really are heroes - they must have been roasting, which might explain the smell - but I'm told that was probably just the 27 local branches of Greggs); having such a great time with all the peeps I met that I missed just about everything and only discovered the presence of Alan Davis by reading the posts immediately prior to this one and, Grud, so many other cool moments!

And, the Moment of the Con for me... Watching Wells and Gronk run for it (well, shuffle faster) as the three of us emerged from a two-berth hotel room only to be accosted by a maid who regarded us with a suspicious eye. As they intrepidly bolted, like scalded snails carrying a sack of accordions, towards the lift I merely smiled my winning smile at the now helplessly enamoured maid and explained that I was only here to collect them (to take them back to The Centre). Of course, we got away with it.

All in all, a fantastic time shared with fantastic people.

Shark Rating: LEGENDARY!

Back under my rock now - until the next time!

Splundig Vur Whatsit.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dunk!

Envious of all of those who attended.

This goes on my con radar for next year.
"Trust we"

Judo

Epic weekend. Will do blog when brain re-engages but toothiest toothtastic weekend with guests and fanclub on record x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

philb

How do I change my forum name from philv to philb?  :D

Richmond Clements

Quote from: philb on 15 July, 2013, 03:20:38 PM
How do I change my forum name from philv to philb?  :D

There you go.

M.I.K.

I did not attend, (might go next year), but my brother and cousin went along. Brother came back with this charming piece of work by Mr. Simon Bisley...

Apparently, Mr. Bisley had previously informed my cousin that he was wary of shaking his hand because he looked like a psychopath who craved human flesh. To be fair, he kinda' does have that look about him.

Judo

What a lovely weekend! 

Fabulous Friday

Friday really was The Day of the weekend for me and I have to give big warm hugs to all the wonderful company that made it so - I couldn't have been happier to have so many kind hearted visitors to our 'fair' city of Glasgow.  I love spending time with so many friends and that really is my highlight.  Getting a shot of Colins hat is always a highlight too.  The heat was scorching which seemed to make everyone very thirsty, my self included who some how managed a devastating 13 bottles of pear/cherry cider. The shout outs are endless here so I'll just say it was especially nice to meet russell, carlos, stacey and iz in person and I hope they and felt welcome during their visit. 

This is the only photo i took all weekend so the rest are stolen from more on the ball people.... 
the amazing judge russell in colins legendary hat with the gorgeous hannah berry

Saturday of Chaos

Saturday was so scorching that even King Carlos the spaniard said it was too hot so score one scotland.  Inside the con had an undeniable buzz circulating as the sold out venue throbbed with fans.  Even the fact that it was allowed to be held in the Centre for Contemporary Arts is a great sign for comics as the previous two cons were literally fringe events held in a church outside the town centre and the CCA turned out to be a great new choice of venue. 

I'm afraid i didn't get a single sketch but managed to get round a lot of really amazing people for an autograph and a chat.  What a great con to have the divine John Wagner, Carlos Ezquerra, Colin Macneil, Alan Grant, Cam Kennedy, John Higgins, Alan Davis, Gary Erskine and James Devlin.  Unfortunately I missed four time eisner winner Frank Quitely completely aww no sexy vinnie to admire but ha the 2000ad panel always comes first!

The 2000ad panel was great fun with Carlos, Colin, Grennie, Wagner, Alan and the legend Mcshane hosting.  Mcshane made it very funny and paced well with classic banter. I particularly enjoyed Mcshane saying to Grennie 'I really enjoyed Armitage', Grennie replying 'I didn't write Armitage' and Mcshane fast as always with 'that's why I liked it'. hahahahaha Grennies face cheery as always.  It was interesting hearing them talk about how they go about creating original characters through brainstorming and how they feel nervous about other writers and artists taking over their characters or taking over from others.

The cosplayers were as fun as always too and in abundance.

In the evening I headed along to the Scottish Independant Comic Awards where the very talented James Devlin picked up both best writer and best artist for Dark Ascension and Cam Kennedy was very rightly given the lifetime achievement award. 

Sunny Sunday

Sunday was lovely and chilled out with lots of sitting around in the sun, chatting with friends and cider.  John Wagner did a very interesting lecture on how to write comics which fully explained the Doherty script Slow Crime Day from inception to finish.  He gave a lot of helpful advice about creating a story arc and working the characters personality through it to give the reader and emotional reacion.  Top stuff from the best man in comics. 

Afterwards a mighty piss up with friends that took us into the early hours capped the weekend perfectly.  Absolutely fantastic.

and yes shark that was me wearing a dress and purple boots and sorry to you and any other fanclub members i didnt say hey to as i didnt know quite who was who and there was so many of you!

much love and hope that everyone has as great a time as me x x x

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Richmond Clements

Y'know, I have spent literally thousands of nights sleeping in a bed and it goes unremarked... But you spend *one night* in a park..! ;-)

I, Cosh

Quote from: stacey on 15 July, 2013, 10:03:34 AM
Add your own captions people!  :D
Class. You've really caught that Sex and the City vibe there!
We never really die.

judgerussell

I have no recollection of that photo being taken, but I do remember talking to hannah. She was very lovely. I also remember trying to match Bisley pint for pint. That did not end well. The whole of Saturday was a big throwy-up-nightmare.

I had to go back to my hotel twice to try and recover. I also queued for John Higgins for a while until I was next in line to have a sketch, but then had to run and be atomically sick.

But it could be worse. I could have spent a night in a park. :lol:

Thanks to everyone in Glasgow for a wonderful event. Gregg and Katy and evonne were amazing. But biggest shout out to dawn. Glasgow felt like a second home.