Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

O Lucky Stevie!

...& suddenly Stevie is no longer  wracked by guilt re: his retelling of that particular Suoercover Saga in his Grade 5 Composition book.

Cheers Joe!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dash Decent

Not really a swipe, but a couple of the internal balcony scenes in Dredd (2012) remind me of this panel from Harry on the High Rock.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

No matter how many times I see this I can't convince myself that the connection is much more than 'barbarian v. dinosaur'. There's so much more going on in Angie's splash, and it fits so well with her heavily-worked Druillet thing (see also: Manco), and Jim's whole style is almost the opposite of that. I've no doubt that his work was a massive influence on the whole idea of Sláine, I'm just not convinced this image itself is a direct swipe/inspiration.

JayzusB.Christ

While I imagine Jim Fitzpatrick is an influence on Sláine, personally I believe it's not a huge leap to suggest that Sláine has influenced him too. Is my memory failing me or did one of the original Horned God GNs have one of his quotes on the back cover?

Not suggesting that he's ripping Angie off or anything - he's far too established an artist to need to imitate anyone - but given that he's aware of Sláine (iirc), he may well have taken some inspiration.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

pert

http://www.theoldrobots.com/images111/Electro-2.JPG

They were in The Fall And Rise Of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein in a slightly altered form

Funt Solo

Satanus Unchained is a total rip-off of the dinosaur in Judge Dredd's The Cursed Earth saga - they both have the same name, and are both set in same location within the same shared universe. Couldn't be more obvious.

I'm surprised nobody else has spotted this one.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

IndigoPrime

And yet with an added shoulder pad error.

I, Cosh

Don't remember ever seeing this mentioned before. From the novel Logan's Run. A pretty fair approximation of the Lawgiver. Includes a better explanation for why there's six kinds of ammo and even a shout-out to the Father of Justice himself.

We never really die.

Funt Solo

"a handgun with selectable ordnance keyed to self-destruct if touched by an individual who is not the proper owner"

Oh, man! Even the destruct mechanism is cribbed.

I feel far fewer guilts about my various acts of minor plagiarism now.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Ah. There's supposed to be a picture on that last post but it's not showing up. Here's the gist:

QuoteOnly a DS man could carry a Gun. Each weapon was coded to the operative's hand pattern, set to detonate on any other human contact.

Logan reached in and closed his have around the big pearl-handled revolver, drawing it free of it's snug velvet nest.
He checked it; full load, six charges: tangler, needler, ripper, nitro, bald vapor and homer.
We never really die.