Main Menu

The "Have You Read…" Thread (A Novel Thread for Novel Readers).

Started by locustsofdeath!, 02 March, 2014, 08:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Hello.

Yes, I know we have the "what are you reading thread", but that thread is mostly dominated by comics and graphic novel discussions (and rightfully so, considering the forum we're inhabiting); so I thought I'd start this thread for novels and novels only - specifically for recommendations and reviews.

So I'll start if off:

I'm a big time sci-fi and fantasy book reader. I'm thinking about reading either 1. The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons or 2. the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson - are either of these worth a go?

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm replying as I like the idea of this thread.

But, um, I've never read either of them.

I can heartily recommend Neal Stephenson's The System of the World, though.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 03 March, 2014, 07:56:46 AM

You do kinda have to read Quicksilver and The Confusion first...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Spaceghost

Dan Simmons' Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion are absolutely, mind-blowingly fantastic and I recommend that you go and read them immediately.

The first book, in particular, is a phenomenal work.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Strange. I always think of the "what are you reading?" as being for books more than anything else.

Anyway, Hyperion and it's immediate sequel are pretty great. The latter two do manage to round the story out quite satisfyingly but are heavily in need of a good editing.
We never really die.

Ghastly McNasty

Currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is by far the geekiest book I've ever read and it is so cool it hurts. I am in love with this book.

Truth be told I'm listening to the audio version read by lord of the nerds, Wil Weaton. The only times I'm able to listen is while driving to and from work and when I walk the dog. He's never had so many walks!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 March, 2014, 08:03:59 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 03 March, 2014, 07:56:46 AM

You do kinda have to read Quicksilver and The Confusion first...

Cheers

Jim

Yeah. Sorry. That was 15 minutes BC (before coffee). I meant Baroque Cycle
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 03 March, 2014, 10:06:22 AM
Currently reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It is by far the geekiest book I've ever read and it is so cool it hurts. I am in love with this book.

Truth be told I'm listening to the audio version read by lord of the nerds, Wil Weaton. The only times I'm able to listen is while driving to and from work and when I walk the dog. He's never had so many walks!

I loved Ready Player One and recommend it frequently and loudly to anyone that'll listen, or is within earshot at least. Looking forward to his next Armada.

Radbacker

well I'll recommend the Malazan Books for you, tough, gritty, violent fantasy.  First few books are pretty stand alone so you can skip away and try something else in between but a total of about 10 or 11 main books and a few side novels in the series so it'll keep you busy for quite a while.  It's a pretty unique series, lots of high magic mixed with gritty bloody old school fighting, I particularly like how the magic system works it's very original and stops magic being the get out of jail free card it usually is in these types of books.  Probably my faviorite series or at least up there with Song of Fire and Ice and its completed too.

CU Radbacker

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Spaceghost on 03 March, 2014, 08:43:25 AM
Dan Simmons' Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion are absolutely, mind-blowingly fantastic and I recommend that you go and read them immediately.

The first book, in particular, is a phenomenal work.

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 March, 2014, 08:44:46 AM
Anyway, Hyperion and it's immediate sequel are pretty great.

Just about every review I've read about Hyperion declares it fantastic - I've ordered the first two books this morning. Somewhere I'd read it compared favorably to The Book of the New Sun series, which is my personal favorite sci-fantasy series; my expectations are pretty high, I can't wait.

Quote from: Radbacker on 03 March, 2014, 02:10:10 PM
well I'll recommend the Malazan Books for you, tough, gritty, violent fantasy.

Would you say it compares to The Black Company series? The fact that this series (and Hyperion) is what makes it so attractive. I'm also a big fan of ASoIaF, and it's frustrating waiting for the next book. I felt the same way about the Wheel of Time series - I read Eye of the World in 91 and just finished reading the final book last year!

Thanks for the recs, guys.

soggy

Quote from: locustsofdeath!
Would you say it compares to The Black Company series?

It is much more complex. I think the entire Black Company saga probably has the same word count as the first book in the Malazan Series

Alski

"The Left Hand Of God" Trilogy by Paul Hoffman.

Sort of historical, not quite fantasy, with all sorts of real things and places smushed together, plenty of violence and lots of giggles as well.

Probably one of the finest pieces of literature I have ever read - the man has a superb way with words.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Sideshow Bob

Not read Dan Simmons'  Hyperion series yet....but I can heartily recommend Carrion Comfort , one of his earlier novels...
For Stephen King fans....I'd also recommend his newest novel Doctor Sleep, which is a follow up to The Shining......Not a 'horror novel' as such,  but an excellent story and a welcome return to form for Mr King..
Also, for those who like a Thriller / Detective novel with increasing levels of supernatural thrills as the main character discovers who he really is....John Connollys'  Charlie Parker series ( about 11 in all, but best read in order )...Great Stuff and very highly recommended.
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: soggy on 03 March, 2014, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath!
Would you say it compares to The Black Company series?

It is much more complex. I think the entire Black Company saga probably has the same word count as the first book in the Malazan Series

Complex is perfectly fine! Black Company-like grittiness plus complexity sounds fantastic. I think I'm going to alternate the Hyperion novels and the Malazan novels...because I can't decide which to go with!

Up until now, I'd been on a massive pulp-fantasy reread. I always do a yearly Robert E Howard reread, and this year was the Conan stories. I also read several Elric novels, a bunch of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories, and Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique cycle, as well as Vance's first Dying Earth book. So as much as I love those stories, I'm eager for something new.

I recently read the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series by Greg Keyes. It came recommended for fans of GoT; it was okay, good fun, but sort of forgettable fantasy...

vzzbux

Reading this thread has brought two books back to my memory from which I read decades ago and I don't know why. May have to fish them out again.

The Boat of a Million Years. Poul Anderson

The Crucible of Time. John Brunner

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.