Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Watch_Dogs  (Read 2281 times)

Goaty

• Bionic Fingers
  • Goaty the illustrator
    • View Profile
Watch_Dogs
« on: 27 May, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »
Anyone get it? yeah or nah? It's looks interesting as sort of diet GTA5 but with hacking.

Here's the gameplay;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z3iG2QlJXk&feature=kp

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Watch_Dogs
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »
It should be waiting for me when I get home.

I've had a look at some of the reviews which are broadly positive but which concentrate quite a bit on 'character development', 'voice acting', etc - none of which I care about. Just tell me if the game's fun!

I'm also not sure why every open world game has to be compared to GTA. I'm sure it has similarities but it looks like it has a pretty strong identity of it's own.

Judo

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • glasgow con was amazing <3 x x x
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2014, 04:51:04 PM »
Let us know if its any good - it looks ace! x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
  • "Why, Black Dynamite? WHY?"
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #3 on: 27 May, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
I'm also not sure why every open world game has to be compared to GTA. I'm sure it has similarities but it looks like it has a pretty strong identity of it's own.

Probably just the writers showing their age and/or generation, as that goes back to when GTA3 came out and became a smash hit and every open-world game from Spider-Man to Tony Hawk was cited as "GTA style" for a point of common reference, as everyone who played videogames - and even people who didn't - knew what you meant in using the term.

radiator

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
I know this is supposed to be a big next-gen deal, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. I've never once been playing GTA and thought "This would be more fun if I could hack into things".

I'm also not sure why every open world game has to be compared to GTA

To my mind Rockstar still do by far the best open-world style games, so it makes sense to use them as a benchmark.
« Last Edit: 28 May, 2014, 10:41:53 PM by radiator »

CrazyFoxMachine

• Submod
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Twee-tar
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
To my mind Rockstar still do by far the best open-world style games, so it makes sense to use them as a benchmark.

AHEM.... JUST CAUSE 2

...only half joking there...

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
Had a few hours with Watch Dogs now and I have to say I really like it.

The whole thing feels very slick and there are multiple ways to tackle just about every situation.
It's quite daunting - much like the Assassin's Creed games are the first time you play them - there's a lot to learn.
Learning the game is fun though. I've just had to redo a mission which I very nearly completed on the first attempt. The aim was to hack a laptop in a secure, heavily guarded office. On my first attempt I mounted a fairly robust physical infiltration. Shots were fired but I thought I'd done pretty well - then it all went wrong just as I was about to start the hack. On my second attempt I managed to complete the objective by simply hacking from camera to camera around the building - including one on the phone of a guard. I then casually left the scene in a stolen company van.

What's important is that both of the methods I used were fun and felt fair (always important) but offer plenty of variety and experimentation.

I think I'll get a good few hours out if this one.

Pete Wells

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
Yeah, I've had a few days with this now and it's very cool. Jumping from camera to camera to plan your strategy is great as is hacking various parts of the environment to intimidate the bad guys - it has a real Arkham series feel here.

The car chases are extremely enjoyable, making bollards shot up from the floor to stop my persuers, raising bridges and exploding gas pipes under the road never gets old and makes for some thrilling moments.

As James said, it's initially daunting but I'm getting to be quite the hacker now and it's cool as fuck! Right, back to it...

Pete Wells

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Right, I've revised my initial thoughts on this game, it's fucking brilliant! I'm loving planning my attacks using CCTV and escaping the cops by hacking traffic lights and blowing gas mains, however it's my current mission that's got me so excited. Why?

Well, I'm currently in a dilapidated, gang-filled city block fighting my way to the top to get the gang boss. Or to quote a certain movie trailer "To take down an Empire... He has to go... All the way up!" Yep, at the minute, this feels like a triple A game version of Dredd. It's glorious!

Very, very highly recommended!

ThryllSeekyr

• Bionic Fingers
  • That's Your Reality!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »
Watch-Dogs.......no I don't.....

mogzilla

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • 'ello little ol' laydee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 June, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
liking but for some reason I keep getting booted out of the game with a message reading that a "device" needed has been removed???
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

bluemeanie

• Evil Cyborg
  • Richard in the real world... hello and that
    • View Profile
    • http://2000ad.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: 08 June, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
Like the look of this but worried it's gonna be the first game to really make my pc struggle as it seems a bit of a resource hog.
Plus of course it's £40 and I'm WAAAY too cheap to pay that for a game. One I'll be keeping an eye on hoping for steam to do one of it's "Its 90% off for the next hour" deals

ThryllSeekyr

• Bionic Fingers
  • That's Your Reality!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
So, is the hacking and the driving any-good in this game.....

Dr Feeley Good

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
Yes...really enjoying it