Main Menu

Sprogs on YouTube

Started by TordelBack, 30 July, 2015, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

It's Lego with perambulating beasties.

TordelBack

S'right. But Lego where you never run out of blocks or have to tidy up, and where rather than dreaming of one day visiting Legoland you can go to a hundred giant and distinct Legoland any time you want. That would have been my purest vision of heaven.

Hawkmumbler

Kids on YT? Never. Just don't risk it, the internet is a vastly scary place and really not a great idea for kids to be let loose in it. Trust me, i'm of the generation that grew up using it and I have some horror stories of my own and more than one skeleton in the closet

shaolin_monkey

Also, you can tell kids of the dangers until you're blue in the face, as can their school, as can any child-friendly websites they might use, but they'll STILL ignore all the advice and do something really stupid. I speak from my experience with my eldest daughter.  Restrict access and strict supervision - the best way forward.

Satanist

An online experiment* we regularly perform at home is where I go on a rampage at COD while one of my  kids pretends on the mic that its them. Some of the abuse I've heard when grown men think they are being beaten by a 7 year old is beyond belief. The most popular being "I'm going to rape/murder your mum".

Please note that my kids can't hear this as I'm wearing the headset while they pipe in accordingly on the mic.

This is why I wont let the kids online with anything yet. I know that the COD crowd are an extreme example but still, it's the internetz innit.

*for this thread I say experiment but it's obviously a wind up.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ming

Quote from: Satanist on 03 August, 2015, 02:17:31 PM*for this thread I say experiment but it's obviously a wind up.

Sounds hilarious - you should put these on YouTube  :D

Thankfully, my sprogs are still too young to venture online but I'm seeing sensible comments of here for when the dreaded day arrives.  Part of me secretly hopes for a solar flare or a giant EMP-related event that will make all the agonising unnecessary, but I guess we'll just wait and see.

For now I'm just getting them to embrace the physical rather than the virtual*, but I know it's unavoidable.

* Y'know, Lego.  Plus we've had a nice 'summer' (pffft), catching grasshoppers, fishing, searching for birds nests, moths, jellyfish, etc.  Basically, the more time they spend rolling around in the mud outside, the happier I am.

Mardroid

That game I was talking about in my last post? It was Runescape not Minecraft.

I just realised when I saw the mention of Minecraft being like Lego. I thought..... Eh?

Sorry. I got the names confused... But I think the rather morbid point applies.....

....feeling silly...

TordelBack

Hmm, should probably note that I do spend every possible moment keeping the kids busy outdoors, but the youtubery that incited this thread takes place mostly on the green space in front of our house - creating the awkward dynamic of actually forcing kids back into the house and creating strife in their real-world social lives. Encouraging independence while severely limiting it.

Similarly, school seems to have totally abdicated responsibility for computer education - at age 9 in 2015 I would have expected some attempt at introducing visual programming, design or document use, or even typing. So far everything has been from home/outside courses, and knowing his teacher for the coming year that's not likely to change. Thus what computer use takes place is taking place in leisure time.

sheridan

Quote from: TotalHack on 03 August, 2015, 08:16:12 PM
Similarly, school seems to have totally abdicated responsibility for computer education - at age 9 in 2015 I would have expected some attempt at introducing visual programming, design or document use, or even typing.

Yeah - was it last year or the one before that was supposed to be the 'Year of Code' - a government initiative to put the UK on the world IT map? 

Ah, found a BBC article about it:

Warning - page contains picture of George Osborne from the start.

Here's the link