Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2020

Started by Bolt-01, 23 January, 2020, 02:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Yeah - I've just had the email from them. The team at TB have asked if this could be actively shared.

Dandontdare

I'm not really surprised (in fact, I thought this had already happened) - I can't see myself going to any cons gigs or festivals this year even if the rules allow them.

Shame though - just looking forward to Lawless and TB 2021

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 June, 2020, 08:35:43 AM
You'd suspect if it did go ahead it would be a very changed event - though who knows with the government determined to get the economy going?

Heck by November we may even have a contact tracker up and running... maybe...

not looking likely
DDT did a job on me

Bolt-01

Well, If Covid hadn't happened I'd be on the road now to Thought Bubble 2020.

Nano-Bolt would have been starting her fourth year on team red-shirt and I would have been looking forward to meeting friends, many of whom I only see at this event. Heck, this year we were looking forward to spending quality time with Mr Mike Carroll and his lovely wife.

Here's to Thought Bubble - the finest convention in the country, and here's to next year!

low down dirty drokker

Thought about thought bubble, changed my mind,
Then thought some more.
Hard work all this thinking.. Usually find drinking, helps to stop the thinking.
Keep on Drokking..

Proudhuff

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 13 November, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
Well, If Covid hadn't happened I'd be on the road now to Thought Bubble 2020.

Nano-Bolt would have been starting her fourth year on team red-shirt and I would have been looking forward to meeting friends, many of whom I only see at this event. Heck, this year we were looking forward to spending quality time with Mr Mike Carroll and his lovely wife.

Here's to Thought Bubble - the finest convention in the country, and here's to next year!

So sad reading that...
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 July, 2021, 01:08:54 PM
So sad reading that...

The very last emails I exchanged with Dave ended with us promising to meet up at Thought Bubble if it went ahead this year. Dammit, Dave.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

rogue69

Thought Bubble have now dropped Frank Miller from attending this year after several other guests decided to boycott the event due to his anti-muslim comments
https://www.comicon.com/2021/07/28/frank-miller-cancelled-and-no-longer-coming-to-thought-bubble/

Link Prime

Arguably the greatest living comic creator...kicked out of a comic convention.

You couldn't make it up.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 July, 2021, 09:59:43 PM

You couldn't make it up.

There are many, many different ways of looking at this and this is one of the extremes of that spectrum.

I've not read Holy Terror and have no intention of doing so and therefore need to be a little careful about what I say in direct relation to that. What I state here is therefore a reflection on some of the things I have read rather than person reflection. The other end of the spectrum is.

Once great comic artist / writer who hasn't produced anything good in years has withdrawn (been asked to withdraw?) from comic con on the basis that other folks attending choose not to attend if he was due to vile anti-islamic book he produced, for which he has never properly apologised and which he still allows to be sold.

There will be a LOT of views inbetween.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 July, 2021, 09:59:43 PM

Some muslim attendees expressed concern about not only Miller's virulently anti-Islamic work, but more importantly, that they were uncomfortable about the kind of crowd he might draw given the nature of that work. One person who expressed this view was then hounded off Twitter by a torrent of racist abuse, which kind of illustrates the point.

It's possible to appreciate the work of The Smiths and still not want to invite Morrisey to your party because he's a racist bellend these days. Same thing.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 July, 2021, 07:02:52 AM
kind of crowd he might draw

Comics fans? Frank Miller fans? Bizarre viewpoint, I gotta say.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 July, 2021, 06:51:28 AM
There will be a LOT of views inbetween.

I'd consider myself an even handed individual, so looked into the topic a bit more this morning over a bowl of Cheerios. Quite an unpleasant breakfast.

My concluding and intractable take - it's all a load of utter, utter nonsense.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 July, 2021, 09:13:12 AM

No. Obviously. The kind of far right arsehole he courted with his Holy Terror schtick and then subsequent pronouncements on wishy-washy leftists and what he'd like to do to them.

I'm sure you're not worried about what about that kind of person would do to you, but I'm assuming you're in line with this forum's overwhelming demographic: white, midde-aged men. If not, I apologise but if so, just try to imagine what it feels like to be in a minority in the current political climate, and then add in attending a con where the main attraction is a comic creator who's made himself a lightning rod for all kinds of far right whackjobs.

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 July, 2021, 10:40:41 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 July, 2021, 09:13:12 AM

No. Obviously.

What's obvious, to me, would be the assumption that 99.99% of genre fans queuing up for the rare chance to meet Frank Miller in a comic convention would be perfectly well adjusted "normal" people of all backgrounds, only interested in meeting a literal icon of the medium.
The 0.01% chance of some bellend being a bellend would likely have the same prospect of occurring in your local Tesco.

I'm talking about the real world here, where decorum and law are generally respected publicly, not referring to the kind of cowardly guff that's spouted online.

As an aside, the proportion of Miller fans who have purchased or even read 'Holy Terror' (I haven't personally, so can't pass comment) could probably be considered a rounding error.

Feel free to disagree of course, but I'll stand by my opinion on this one - the entire subject is utter nonsense.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 July, 2021, 04:28:22 PM
What's obvious, to me, would be the assumption that 99.99% of genre fans ... would be perfectly well adjusted "normal" people...

You may quote me on that.