Main Menu

New Star Wars

Started by sheridan, 11 December, 2020, 09:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 December, 2020, 01:13:56 PM
I've enjoyed all the recent Star Wars films, but have yet to see a moment of The Mandolorian. Up til now I've been doing the equivalent of putting my fingers in my ears and humming whenever my brain makes the intuitive leap from Star Wars (and Marvel) to Disney. Now, however, I really am going to have to hold my nose and get Disney+, because those Star Wars- and even more so the Marvel titles that were likewise announced- are completely unmissable. I've kind of got sick waiting for a physical release of Mando, so I take it at this point they arent doing that? Sigh. But yes, Disney+ is in my immediate future.

SBT

For me Star Wars has collapsed under the weight of it's own humourless fandom and oversaturation, and the love I used to have for it has greatly diminished. I enjoyed the movies (bar the prequel trilogy) but have no interest in the rest. I've heard lots of praise for the Mandalorian but a quick peruse of the thread shows me lots of references to characters I don't know and cartoons I haven't seen, which is off-putting.

But dammit, 10 new Marvel properties may make me hold my nose and go Disney.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 December, 2020, 04:23:26 PM
I've heard lots of praise for the Mandalorian but a quick peruse of the thread shows me lots of references to characters I don't know and cartoons I haven't seen, which is off-putting.

Again, you don't need to know any of that stuff to enjoy the show. The stories function in their own right and the hints at a wider world are just that if you're not immersed in the continuity* — hints, like the reference to the Clone Wars in the very first movie. Didn't matter that you didn't know what those were (and I'm damn sure Lucas didn't).

Everything that needs to be explained (as Tordelback noted in the dedicated Mandalorian thread) gets explained in-story, because Mando himself wasn't involved in any of that stuff.

*Although I've seen all of Clone Wars and Rebels, it's not like I've committed any of that stuff to memory, and I've never read any of the EU novels, played any of the games, and have read barely a handful of the comics.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Yeah, you don't need to know or care about Star Wars continuity to enjoy The Mandalorian.
Or make the sequel trilogy.

ZING!
You may quote me on that.

shaolin_monkey

Or make the prequel trilogy!

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 December, 2020, 04:45:16 PM
*Although I've seen all of Clone Wars and Rebels, it's not like I've committed any of that stuff to memory, and I've never read any of the EU novels, played any of the games, and have read barely a handful of the comics.

Same here - I've seen all of both series, though only once, over half a decade ago (apart from the newer episodes of course, which saw shortly after they came out).  Not that this isn't an endorsement of them - it's just quite a time commitment, though I'm certainly up for a re-watch soon.

sheridan

Visions - "an original series of animated short films...through the lens of the best Japanese anime creators".

sheridan

The Acolyte - part of the High Republic - being billed as the largest publishing initiative of the Disney Star Wars era.

A few hundred years before TPM and focussing on Jedi (before they lost their way).

sheridan

A Droid Story - animated.  C3PO and R2D2 guiding "a new hero".  Presumably the new hero is also going to be a droid (BB8?  D-0?  Though they aren't new).

sheridan

Rogue Squadron - a feature length film directed by the daughter of a USAF pilot.

sheridan

My Star Wars Viewing Order spreadsheet is certainly going to start getting a lot messier!

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 13 December, 2020, 04:59:20 PM
My Star Wars Viewing Order spreadsheet is certainly going to start getting a lot messier!

You're already short a whole season of Clone Wars!

Lovely stuff, Sheridan, I'm keeping a copy of that if you don't mind.

I hadn't really copped that Lando would be Donald Glover, I was half imagining it as a spinoff from Rebels.  This opens up all sorts of enticing Solo-adjacent possibilities.

sheridan

Yeah, I first created that spreadsheet in 2014 (I'd dedicated 2013 to watching all of Doctor Who (due to the 50th anniversary) so spent 2014 watching all of Star Wars, in chronological order) and have been gradually updating it ever since.

radiator

Excellent video essay on The Rise of Skywalker from the guy who did the equally excellent video defending The Last Jedi from last year. Also touches on The Mandalorian and the problems with modern moviemaking in general. To be honest, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that we're already living in the franchise/nostalgia nightmare media landscape future he warns about at the end, and have been for some time.

https://youtu.be/IrMM33uHAo8

sheridan

Seeing as we had Star Wars Celebration (one of the three most likely times of the year to hear about new Star Wars content)...

Andor - premier date 31 August 2022, 12 episodes set about five years before Rogue One and another 12 in the works closing the timeline from the first series to Rogue One.

Ahsoka - live action premiers of Sabine Wren, Chopper and Hera Syndulla.

Star Wars: Skeleton Crew - Jude Law to star in 2023 series focused on a group of ten-year-old children (Stranger Things in space?). In the Mando era.

Mandalorian Season Three in February 2023.

Bad Batch Season Two - autumn 2022, to feature a wookie jedi.

Star Wars: Visions Volume Two - spring 2023.

Tales of the Jedi - animated anthology featuring Ahsoka, Count Dooku and Qui-Gon Jinn.

Young Jedi Adventures - High Republic era children's show.