Main Menu

Prog 2212 - Elecrtifying 100 page Xmas Issue!

Started by Dandontdare, 15 December, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Wait, I can't be the first to get this can I? Haven't bagged the prog thread for yonks, and 2209 was two weeks late. I'll leave Broodblik to do his usual much appreciated posting of the cover, but the tag-line's not exactly memorable. Does what it says on the tin I suppose.

Judge Dredd: Another fine Noam Chimpsky tale from Ken Niemand and PJ Holden, a heartwarming little Christmas tale.

Strontium Dog Well this will probably have some of the facebook crowd having aneurysms - A tale of Johnny and Wulf without Carlos OR John? It works though - The art channels Star Lord era Ezquerra and the script is crammed with all the gadgets and references you'd expect in a satisfying little tale that does rely heavily on one massive piece of luck. And maybe Wulf's accent gets a little OTT on the final page, but overall I'd give it the thumbs up. 

In the year 2020 - awesome montage pin up by Stewart K Moore - how long will it take you to find Stogie? Got most of the references, but help a brother out with these few: (left) the dude with the superhero mask punching the Sov mek...the helmeted guy seen from the back, just below Slaine's right hand ... and are those anything other than anonymous barbarians that Slaine's flinging off his back?

Carlos Pino article .. not read yet

Survival Geeks. An epilogue with a huge dollop of awwwwwww.

Letters - I defer to my honourable colleague for fuller reviews, but Ming's Lego looks amazing and star letter is from that bloke from round 'ere that can't spell Steve.

Visions of Deadworld - nice creepy one off. Not as gut droppingly chilling as some, quite sweet really.

That's all, had to take a break to rest the thrill circuits. Part 2 to follow - Proteus Vex and Hershey may have to wait till I've done a catch-up  read, but Slaine looks lush (they always do though .. but then words), there's an old-skool Time Twister/Tharg tale and an interesting looking new Durham Red.

Dandontdare

If there was an edit function on this thread, I wouldn't have used "tale" five times, twice in the same sentence FFS *groan*

Dandontdare

And I would have spelled ELECTRIFYING correctly

Richard

Leonardo Manco's art on Slaine is fantastic. This is a promising new start for the series, and seems to be a clean break from Brutannia.

Strontium Dog is definitely a highlight. I'd be happy to see this creative team carry on with this and do a full series. (How else will we get a "The Son" graphic novel?)

Survival Geeks was good, Neil Google's best art to date I think. [spoiler]A bit sad to see the gang break up.[/spoiler]

There's a very silly Time Twister (in a good way). Jake Lynch does a good Henry Flint impression in Proteus Vex. Durham Red gets off to a good start.

I'm very happy with this prog.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Dear Tharg

This year has proven to be a very disruptive challenging year. We all face changes in how we interact with our fellow humans socially and in the work environment. One thing for me stood out is the House of Tharg even with all the challenges kept on producing the weekly prog and monthly megazine. Not only producing it but the publication has been throughout the year being off high quality and standards.

2020 has been for me personally been a great year of the prog. New thrills like The Out, Pandora Perfect, Department-K, Full Tilt Boogie, The Diaboliks, Proteus Vex and Feral and Foe. Return of a classic Hook Jaw in a new magical jacket. Stickeback returning after a few seasons off absents. We also saw the return of Aquila and The Zaucer of Zilk. We said goodbye to Survival Geeks.  It was a continuous great run of progs, thrill on thrill. 

So, I will say this thank you Tharg and droids for the flow on thrills and great stories. My Wednesday mornings become my weekly highlight off thrill power-overload.

:)

judgeurko

Slaine the highlight. But no more Strontium Dog please.

TordelBack

Colin YNWA

Yep mine is tucked away after a quick flick through awaiting Christmas day - though all those new Beasts of Balance might mean I can hold off until Boxing Day... we'll see...

Barrington Boots

I don't know how you guys can wait, I've already gone through mine over a couple of sittings.

Very good festive Dredd despite the man himself [spoiler]being made to look like a total chump[/spoiler]. I like these Chimpsky takes: they lack the cynical edge that Dredd needs to be really on point imo, but so enjoyable. Loved the last panel as well as the [spoiler]Judge with the balloon[/spoiler] on the third page.

Also enjoyed Strontium Dog which really channels the Western vibe in both the script and the art. For a one off tale this is exactly what I want - Johnny and Wulf being cool, accents and crazy weapons, looks magnificent. I don't want this back full time without John and Carlos but I would like to see more like this in specials and the like.

Praise also from me for Survival Geeks with a very sweet little epilogue to the main tale. I agree this could be Googe's best work in the Prog to date, great facial expressions on both the over the top and more subtle. Much better ending to the strip than when we left it last year.

Deadworld presents the least-horrific of the three one-shots we've had, still completely horrible in a good way, and an uplifting end. It is Christmas I suppose. Looking forward to getting back into this strip proper in 2021.

Proteus Vex - A setup episode with a big chunk of added ultraviolence. A lot happens and there's a lot of information / backstory imparted here but exposition feels less exposition-y and more like stepping into a realised universe. Jake Lynch looks good on art, captures the alien weirdness and scifi backgrounds expertly. The interplay between Vex and Midnight is good here too.

Slaine looks just incredible. It's a gorgeous read and an all action epsiode. If this is the last Slaine I want it to be a winner, although if I'm honest I have a mild feeling of trepidation that it won't be, which is unfair to this as it's off to a great start.

Hershey - hard to look at this objectively given how sour I am on the concept and manner of execution of this thrill. I tried to get over myself on the previous run but it offered little that was enjoyable for me. This time nothing objectionable happens, and it looks cool, but why is it even here? Sorry guys.

Time Twister - Lightweight and amusing tale, some nice playing around with the very Time Twister format itself. Nice one!

Durham Red - interesting start on this as it very much portrays [spoiler]Red as the villain[/spoiler], something I suspect we'll later find out may not be the case (unless this strip has taken a bit of a turn). Nice dialogue and characterisation on the sheriff and the stront and very little dialogue for Red herself but she still comes off a badass when she does speak.

Plus how good is Mings lego build?

Great prog overall and a great year when you think we had a lot of brand new thrills in The Out, Feral and Foe, Full Tilt Boogie and Proteus Vex (and that's not counting Hookjaw). Cheers Tharg / cheers all!

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bolt-01

A fantastic prog. Some absolute belters in there and who would have thought that my weakest strip would ever be Strontium Dog? Sheesh.

Richard

HERETIC! Strontium Dog is one of the highlights!

Leigh S

I thought the Stront was OK - nice art I'm sure we can all agree.  Didn't hit quite the right notes (Wulf getting Time Bombed should have caused a bit more grief for Alpha - the scientist half suggests he hasnt killed him, but a random Time Bomb sounds like a death sentence to me! That could ahve been clearer.  I'd have dropped the Genocide Bomb angle too, as it is a concept that really doesn't hold up to much thought and is a bit on the nose really ("We are Facists").  It should really have been a Time Vest... or an Electro-Vest!  Now that title is wasted for future Generations!

Surprise highlight for me was the sweet coda to Survival Geeks.  Dredd was fun, but does veer into the slight trap of "I love my characters very much and must make them outwit Dredd" - I mean, you do have to outwit Dredd, but even so!

Slaine - greatest Slaine art ever?  This is Nemesis Book X all over isnt it, where Pat gets the perfect new artist jut as he has slammed the door.

Goaty

Eh?

Nothing mentions about Hershey; [spoiler]Dirty Frank is alive! [/spoiler]

Yep Goaty's back, only need some big twists in 2000AD to bring me back!