Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2023

Started by Dash Decent, 11 November, 2021, 01:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 August, 2022, 04:16:37 PM
The page count makes more sense if it's "Grab" rather than "Portrait":

= 181 pages (or 175 pages without Mutie's Luck).

The whole book is 192 pages. 181 pages of stories would leave 11 pages for contents, publishing info, covers gallery, creators bio.

A quick scan through Barney would give 11 covers for the period in question - 86 and 90 not exclusively Stront but including them and arguably 86 would be an important inclusion. 
Journey to Hell - 104, 107, 109, 116, 118
Death's Head - 179, 181
Schicklegruber Grab - 181, 185, 190

So the page count could well work.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 August, 2022, 07:51:46 PM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 August, 2022, 04:16:37 PM
The page count makes more sense if it's "Grab" rather than "Portrait":

= 181 pages (or 175 pages without Mutie's Luck).

The whole book is 192 pages. 181 pages of stories would leave 11 pages for contents, publishing info, covers gallery, creators bio.

A quick scan through Barney would give 11 covers for the period in question - 86 and 90 not exclusively Stront but including them and arguably 86 would be an important inclusion. 
Journey to Hell - 104, 107, 109, 116, 118
Death's Head - 179, 181
Schicklegruber Grab - 181, 185, 190

So the page count could well work.

You and Dash are providing solid analysis and logic, I'm hoping you're right! Tharg, please make it so...

Dash Decent

That's a lot of covers.  On that basis I'd say Mutie's Luck won't be in this volume but will kick off the next one.  But it definitely works.  I'm still confident this is going to be in order.

Remembering also that Rebellion are a publishing business and reprints are a practical way to earn money.  The content is all paid for, so the more times they can re-sell it, the better.  Including all the stories means more volumes in the run and more chances to earn money that keeps them going.  Ditto including all the covers.  More material published, more volumes.  If Mutie's Luck is in this volume and they skip some or all covers, they're going to get through content faster (= less volumes, less sales) than if they reprint everything.

None of that is meant as a criticism of Rebellion, by the way, but just to say I think it is more logical and therefore highly likely that this SD series will include everything and continue in order.  I have no problem with Rebellion utilising their back catalogue.  They are a business, people depend on them for their wages, and I am very appreciative that I have The Leopard from Lime Street and Sweeny Toddler on my bookshelf, not to mention all the Dredd Case Files, all of Rogue Trooper, etc, not to mention the upcoming Bad Time Bedtime Stories (though I wish it was being printed in a larger size).

The only problem I can see is that if sales don't do well then the line may be discontinued before they get every story out the door, however this is Strontium Dog not Captain Klep, and Rebellion know their business and what print runs are practical.

TL;DR - it should be okay, RJ.

All that is left now is for me to sit here and wait for the deluxe hardcover oversized Apex edition of Dash Decent.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

With bonus material it should weigh in at a hefty 25 pages.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

No one call me in case Molch-R is trying to get through to me.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

Design advice, placement of page numbers... I can help with any of that, guys.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

And I think we should start putting a little cartoon of a noble-looking knight on a handsome horse on the copyright page.  I think the boss would like that.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

JK! as my daughter would say.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

(She thinks it stands for 'just kidding'.  I don't know where she gets that outlandish idea from!  It's so random and unlikely.  I keep having to tell her, "No sweetheart, it means 'Jason Kingsley'."  Kids these days, I ask you...)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 19 August, 2022, 03:41:09 PMA quick Google search shows it's from a comic called Lion.
From UK Comics Wiki: Lion was a weekly comic published by the Amalgamated Press, later Fleetway and IPC, beginning on 23 February 1952. It incorporated Sun in 1959, Champion in 1966, the Eagle in 1969, and Thunder in 1971, and finally merged into Valiant on 18 May 1974.

You missed out the fun bit!

Quote from: wikipediaValiant limped on for a few months, merging with Vulcan on 10 April 1976, but finally merged with Battle Picture Weekly on 23 October, signaling the end of Valiant.

8 March 1975 to 23 January 1988, when it merged with the new incarnation of Eagle

Effectively meaning that old Eagle merged with new Eagle (through all those other mergers).

sheridan

Quote from: davidbishop on 19 August, 2022, 05:16:21 PM
I prefer Quince jelly.

I prefer Munce Jelly.

(raw munce plants canonically looking a bit like quince plants)