Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Zenith vs. Ace Trucking Rd 4 Heat 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 July, 2022, 06:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well we'll start Round 4 with no gush of excitement. No giddy anticipation of the tough, enthralling ties to come. Instead to really fire up those juices with a service announcement! Turn around is so fast I've not been mixing up these thread openers the way I intended and just kept rattling on with the same ol' format (for the posts the comp ain't changing). I had plans and maybe next round but for now, well if it ain't broke and all that... what and EXPLOSION into Round 4 hey!

Both these thrills had consistent great artist working on them, slight cameos aside. It goes to show the subjective nature of art that neither is consistently loved. A lot of folks love both, some don't get one or the other. Will that be a factor in your vote?

Form book:

Zenith- Bye; Harry Twenty; Buttonman
Ace Trucking - Bye; HAVN; Alienist

Zenith - more info

Vs

Ace Trucking Co - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 10th July and the winner gets a place in Round 5 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Ace Trucking was a lot of fun. Zenith could be Grant Morrison's best work for the Prog. Based on how much I want to pick up and re-read the whole thing, Zenith.

rogue69

AlexF

May I be the first and perhaps only one here to categorically for Ace Trucking Co!
Love that series, and all the admiration I can muster for Zenith isn't gonna overturn that.

You've gotta say, though, that Zenith has been battling through some seriously tough competition in this Tourney, is there nothing to stop its march to the top??

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

ACE TRUCKING! for giving me more joy than Zenith ever did.

SBT

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Zenith  ACE never worked for me, while Zenith was a thing of beauty, storywise and artwise.
DDT did a job on me

sintec

Two great artists both at the top of their game on these thrills. Love me some Bellardinelli so if this was purely on the art I'd probably be voting Ace.

But a great thrill is also about the stories being told. At it's best Ace is top quality sunday morning kids cartoons, wacky carnage and plenty of laughs. Zenith aspires to be something grander and more serioius, it's the epitome of the era in which the prog tried to "grew up".

Having ummed and ahhhed about this whilst I've been typing I think I'm going to go Zenith. Overall it's definitely the more consistent of the 2. Somewhat surprising it's not neen included in the Ultimate Collection.

IndigoPrime

Ace was an interesting one in the UC. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. But, well, Zenith. That's one of my favourites. If I had infinite money, I'd beg Yeowell to draw the two strips he didn't illustrate and to somehow redo Phase IV in black and white. But otherwise, I bloody love this from start to almost finish. (I can take or leave the coda.)