Main Menu

Prog 2295 - Burns Black

Started by NapalmKev, 14 August, 2022, 10:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

Cover by INJ Culbard.

Dredd - Naked Lunch. A literal sausage-fest of mega proportions. Militant meat heads are foiled by everyone's favourite psychic, Moe Hallam and her ability to see people naked. Very funny episode and proof positive that knob jokes are still relevant in the modern age. Highlight of the Prog!

Skip Tracer - Valhalla, Part Nine. That's right, part nine damn you! Nolan Blake kills some fools and then comes face to face with the Devil, because why not? I enjoyed the bit right at the end when it said Skip Tracer returns in two weeks time! which means I get a week off from it. I'm being churlish!

Brink - Mercury Retrograde, Part Twenty Four. Not being a fan I had low expectations with this double episode finale but I'm glad to be proven wrong. It's a great ending that really didn't need 23 episodes of build-up, IMO.

Jaegir - Ferox, Part Five. Jaegir just continues to be excellent. Great colouring that really lifts the already stunning artwork. Quality!

There's a letters page.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

Excellent final episode for Brink.

Magnetica

I love Brink and think this series has been great. But I'm not sure about that final episode. In as much it doesn't really wrap things up, it just sets things up for future series.

But I'm a way that's what Brink does, I guess.

Also bit surprised no-one has mentioned that 2000AD has been running two strips for the last several weeks featuring lead characters called Nolan.

But then again the two strips in question could hardly be further apart in terms of quality.

Richard

That's because nobody can remember Skip Tracer's name and nobody cares.

Magnetica

True-ish. I'm hard pressed to remember if it's Nolan Blake or Blake Nolan.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

My Saturday Prog run ends but Monday Prog still brings delight.

Dredd Very much enjoyed this especially coming after the serious previous story: one of the things I like about Dredd is the ability to switch from grim to farce week on week. Moe Hallam's ability is daft but that's the point. Enjoyable innuendo and some lovely art from Dan Cornwell.

Skip Tracer This continues to be the low point of the Prog. I feel I've given it enough chances, had enough now.

Brink I've read the last few Brink episodes all together. Really good stuff when read together, and a good ending that just raises more questions. It's an unpopular opinion I know, but this didn't need 23 weeks build up, as Kev says above - That's almost as long as the Apocalypse War. Stretched out like that the story couldn't maintain the tension for me and the payoff wasn't enough.  Chop half a dozen episodes off and I think it would have been better.

Jaegir Love this. Things is moving along at quite some pace and I hope this doesn't mean a quick conclusion. Whilst the quest of getting the Kali virus from 3 nutcases is a bit contrived seeming, the story is interesting and exciting enough to carry it. The swampy, trippy colours are indeed a highlight. Lovely stuff.

With Nolan's adventures barely registering, excellent Prog!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Well forget the rest Brink - a double length episode too - just rules this... wow such a powerful episode. I'll not say more but suffice to say it leaves as many questions as it answers... well more in fact. There's characters in the story I really hope come back. In part because of the ending, in part as they are great. Wow just wow. I really need to make time to read the whole of Brink again soon. Stunning comics.

Saying the prog is all about Brink this week is a little disrespectful to an excellent Dredd with Dan Cornwell and Ken Niemand returning to Moe Hallam the security guard who sees you naked. It seems like a fun aside but pushes the characters overall story along too and demands more. Niemand and his co-creators really are filling Mega City One with a host of simply wonderful characters. Its making the strip so rich and colourful, while never losing sight of the deep dark underbelly of it all.

Skip Tracer is in the Prog too... but thankfully that even deeper, darker underbelly that is Jaegir wraps things up nicely...well not nicely clearly but wonderfully grimly...

... which does rather make for an interesting juxtapostion with the back inside cover - presenting the cover to next weeks Regened. Its a chuffin' brilliant cover just exploses the contrast in the tone to come.

Top prog and not just because of Brink.... but I mean largely because of Brink which is stunning.

broodblik

A good prog with the usual suspects that deliver and not. Next up the regen prog

Dredd – This is again one off those silly but good one-shots. Juts plainly put it is fun, great job by Niemand and Cornwell.

Skip – Double damn we must wait another 2 weeks to see what happens to our intrepid hero.

Brink – I know a few people got a little bit grumpy with the time this series took to conclude, but I was into this journey for the last 6 months enjoyed every page of it. I am glad that AD is prepared to play the long game with a series. This last episode surely delivered the goods, bring on book 6.

Jaegir – Atalia's plan is not working but the Southern attack might be here salvation as her compatriots closes on the complex. Great use of visuals to deliver another great episode, pity that we must wait another 2 weeks.

The Corinthian

Have we ever been told why Moe can see Dredd's helmet, belt, gloves and other accoutrements that might properly be considered clothes? Other than "because it's funnier that way"?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Corinthian on 17 August, 2022, 06:09:01 PM
Other than "because it's funnier that way"?

How is that not a valid answer...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Next you'll be asking why Dredd never takes his helmet off...
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

The cover as an initial design: