Main Menu

Logos Through the Ages

Started by Funt Solo, 10 July, 2019, 03:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: nxylas on 18 September, 2023, 05:51:57 PMI don't know if this is true or not (probably not), but all the Megazine logos look to me like they come from standard font packages. Whereas the 2000AD logos mostly look like they were designed by actual designers.

I would say I don't know either, but this one can't be a standard font (unless adjusted), because of the Dredd face in the "J":

Jim might know because he's the Typography Talent around here.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I'm definitely fighting with Most Recent Megazine Logo block.  I hadn't really noticed they'd all but dropped the Judge Dredd part for a while, but I suspect the Stallone film was a factor.

And Cliff Robinson is brilliant at incorporating logos. I don't know how he manages - he just gets better and better, while a lot of people his age are watching Countdown and doing crosswords.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Sorry for the double post, but I thought here was probably a better place to continue the discussion about logos than the main prog thread.  Broodblik, I see why your least favourite logo was the 'top banner' one of 950, but 'font' from 1200 is bottom of the pile for me.  It really, really looks like a half-arsed rush job and doesn't capture the spirit of the prog at all. 

I think the original 'stamp' (555?) is my favourite, though the modern day compromise is fine by me - they've kept something like it but lack of a background behind the larger logo next to it allows a bit more nice artwork to be seen.  (I loved the Sun parody cover of the Summer Offensive, but I nearly went home without my prog thinking it was another magazine on the shelf, so probably a bad idea marketingwise.)

What about the logos of the stories?  Maybe it's progstalgia but I liked the old Dredd logo best, with his badge instead of the 'U' and his profile in the 'J'.  Sláine is the only other changing logo I can think of - when Bisley first brought out his new spikey version I loved it, as I hadn't seen Heavy Metal Dredd yet and thought Bisley could walk on water back then.  I have since revised my opinion, as Tharg quickly did too - the classic one is better.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Yes that prog "1200" font is quite horrible
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 18 September, 2023, 06:57:57 PMI would say I don't know either, but this one can't be a standard font (unless adjusted), because of the Dredd face in the "J":

There is (or, apparently, was, because Google doesn't turn up a link to it any more) a font based on the original Judge Dredd logo and it included the J-with-the-face. However, I've just checked the glyphs against the image you've posted (because, of course, I have the font installed) and this logo doesn't actually match the font, so I figure this one was drawn manually based on the letterforms of the original logo...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

The Hershey logo has been fantastic - great to see a logo dominate a page rather than being grafted into a panel where there's space (obviously I get that they do this so they can remove it from collected editions)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: norton canes on 22 September, 2023, 08:30:07 PMThe Hershey logo has been fantastic - great to see a logo dominate a page rather than being grafted into a panel where there's space (obviously I get that they do this so they can remove it from collected editions)

You've just reminded me of the collected Young Death: Obviously they had to remove the 'next issue' text but the box remained. Someone made the very bad decision of using the space to add an extra line of dialogue. It got very silly.

Funt Solo

Another special to add to the list:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++