Main Menu

Wacom Inkling

Started by radiator, 30 August, 2011, 09:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

The inkling looks canny, especially at £150

Is there still not a decent stylus/Photoshop solution for the iPad?

Steve Green

You can buy a stylus but it's not pressure sensitive, Pete.

If they can do this for bogstandard A4, I really wish they'd find a way to do a pressure-sensitive stylus for an Ipad.

Richmond Clements

Anybody heard any word on this yet..?

Is it any good?
Would it, for example, be a worthwhile Christmas gift for an artist?

Jon

I think it largely depends on the artist. I've been struggling to see how it would offer anything to my existing work-flow that I couldn't do with my current tablet/ scanner options, and I'm struggling to see it as anything more than a toy. That said, I think the price makes it acceptable as exactly that and who knows, it could well grow to be indispensable.

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't object at all if someone bought me one. :)

Richmond Clements

QuoteI've been struggling to see how it would offer anything to my existing work-flow that I couldn't do with my current tablet/ scanner options

Yeah, this is really the question I'm asking I think: Is it actually useful outside being a cool gadget?

QuoteAnyway, I certainly wouldn't object at all if someone bought me one.

Well then, you better be good for goodness sake.

Jon

Ah, well, in case of any wealthy, mysterious benefactors, the new 24" Cintiq looks very nice....  ;)

Matt Timson

Apart from the lack of rotation. Not that I can afford to trade in the one I've got anyway.
Pffft...

Mardroid

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 September, 2011, 10:35:03 AM
QuoteI've been struggling to see how it would offer anything to my existing work-flow that I couldn't do with my current tablet/ scanner options

Yeah, this is really the question I'm asking I think: Is it actually useful outside being a cool gadget?

I'll admit to not having much experience with tablets, but from the bit I have had, drawing on paper is much easier. Considering the amount of artists who seem to prefer completing at least their pencils the old fashioned way, I don't think that's just me. (Not that I count myself an artist.)

With this thing you get the best of both worlds. I'd imagine that would make it of great benefit.

Mind you... you can do a similar thing with pencil, paper and a scanner, (albeit the a bit less direct) so maybe my argument is defunct.

Jon

But, that's the problem, I think there's potentially a greater disconnect with this device than with a paper/ scanner/ tablet combination. After all, you are dealing with a tool that gives you only one form of immediate feedback, a ballpoint line on paper, and then a set of vectors derived from the sketch that may still be subject to extremely accurate calibration. You're still taking a punt on what you end up with, especially if you're talking about combining a number of layers. The benefit I find of working directly on screen with a tablet is that you have an entire suite of tools to hand and the ability to more fully edit and respond immediately to issues as they arise. Admittedly I've been working with tablets for a long time now, but I no longer struggle at all with the hand/ eye disconnect and I'd have to say as difficult as it is to get to grips with, initially, it's well worth making the effort as it gives you more choice and fidelity in the monitor you use. Paper, pencil and scanner, to my mind, is much more direct (in terms of What You See Is What You Get).
It largely comes down to adaptation though. I'm sure many peolple will adopt this pen and use it to astonishing effect.

JTurner

Sorry to reactivate this thread - I wondered if anyone had actually bought and tried the Inkling and would recommend it? I'm really just looking for an alternative to scanning my sketches as I do all my inking/ colouring on the computer but cannot sketch freehand on it, even with an intuos, and this seems to be a more tactile alternative.

radiator

That was my thinking too.

Apparently they're not that great for drawing as they can be fairly innaccurate with 'reading' the drawing - not ideal if you want to use it exclusively for inking or finishing.

I'm intrigued but am waiting for a later version with the kinks ironed out - if it doesn't get discontinued of course.

antodonnell

Hi guys,

I've had one on my desk for a while now and tbh I've only used it a few times. To me the pen is too fat to be comfortable for long. My fingers keep covering the sensors just above the nib, my natural way of holding a pen leaving "breaks" / gaps in the drawing. Speed wise it tends to at times lag and miss lines/strokes.

On the plus side it has a fun playback feature so you can watch your drawing develop afterwards. The resolution is good and easy to get images onto the PC. The ability to add layers is really good. I also dislike the single thickness of line you get not good for inking.

Overall it's a fun toy great for roughs / pencils. If you want finishing art traditional is still the best cheapest option or grab a cintiq.

I've recently got an Ipad 3 and am playing with that and the wacom bamboo stylus. I feel this suits me better than the inkling. I've tried a few wacom tablets. Good as can be. For me when finances permit I'll grab a large Cintiq :)

I can try the inkling again tonight. Post up the results.

antodonnell

Hi,

Managed to get some quick sketches in ...... Inkling still not doing it for me. It's different to the actual drawing. I started an Ipad sketch to compare also but I'm too tired to finish it.

JTurner

Thanks for the demo. I'm still a bit in two minds about it, but it still probably beats more DVDs or clothes or vouchers for my birthday...

Martin Jameson

Quote from: antodonnell on 14 August, 2012, 08:55:00 PM
I've recently got an Ipad 3 and am playing with that and the wacom bamboo stylus.

I was looking at the wacom but the amazon reviews have put me off a little. Problems with the nibs not lasting very long and difficulties in getting replacements? I did try a cheapy asda stylus and found you had to press fairly firm to get it to do anything. Is that the same with the wacom or just a cheap stylus problem?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2