Main Menu

Prog 2134 - Bow Before Quilli!

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 June, 2019, 02:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 05 June, 2019, 02:34:01 PM
Reginald Molehusband's school of motoring?  :lol: :lol: And Moonbase's Ed Straker top stuff.

Yeah, yeah, but even more entertainingly, Pebble Mill is about to save the world - presumably, at One.

If Donny MacLeod doesn't play a central role in blowing up the Death Star, it will be an opportunity missed.

Proudhuff

its going to be great seeing Pebble Mill again... haven't seen it since skipping school in the seventies :o
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 05 June, 2019, 01:54:20 PM

Code MCGRUDER-G08T activates the Lawgiver's beard-trimmer attachment.

And I'm pretty sure Code DEMARCO-80085 unbuckles the utility belt.

Nice cover by the Hitchcock Droid this week.

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 05 June, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
Quote from: Frank on 05 June, 2019, 01:54:20 PM
Code MCGRUDER-G08T activates the Lawgiver's beard-trimmer attachment.

And I'm pretty sure Code DEMARCO-80085 unbuckles the utility belt.

TordelBack

Hot damn Scarlet Traces is good. Really delivering on the promises of its long history now, this is going to be one of the great comics when the whole thing is done. Sign me up for a monster HB omnibus. OTOH I will personally boot Ian in the bum if there's a crossover with Brass Kingmaker in the offing.

Max Normal sticks the landing! I confess I was worried it would trail off, but this big twisty mess has been a triumph start to finish. Straight into the top ranks of Dreddworld spinoffs.

By now it's clear that Williams's Dredd isn't really my thing, but it's very, very good comics all the same.

Terror Tale was spot-on, a return of oddball freakiness from Bailey and so great to see Hitchcock's beautiful art. And such a great cover image too!

Kingmaker does some wider-plot stuff, it was fine.

Leigh S

Ahyes, after knocking Dredd, I should at least have the courtesy of praising Max Normal - there were issues - at least 2 parts too long, the dialogue didn't always flow and [spoiler]they should have paid off the brats with half the loot - I don't buy the "too embarassed to come back and kill us in our sleep" line[/spoiler] but it felt fresh and different yet curiously old school, like the annual tales that Max tended to be confined to - Fox will go crazy for it when (not if!) Space Spinner 2000 catches up with this!

Geoff

Mmn oh dear, there's always one I suppose...

I really didn't like the cover or the Terror Tale.  I don't find this Quilli creature or the set up very engaging and I'm afraid I don't really like the art...I find it rather rough round the edges and the cover especially so.  It's clear many do though, and the Hitchcock droid is clearly a good egg, but there it is..

A treat to see Flint on Dredd and the story itself, as part of a wider context, with some action and word-play thrown in, works.

Scarlett Traces and Kingmaker are jogging along nicely, with some lovely artwork.

Speaking or artwork, Max Normal's visuals are getting better all the time. It's been an odd series but a sucessful one overall i think.   

norton canes

All good in the prog this week. I thought the Dredd actually worked so well as a one-shot action story that the subtext was kind of overwhelmed. What to make of that penultimate line, though? There was a broadcast - at a frequency that couldn't he heard...

Scarlet Traces great, though I presume that in this alternate universe the Pebble Mill Studios weren't demolished in 2005. Kingmaker also good - nice to see an alien villain whose first concern is to get their eye make-up sorted. Max Normal wrapped well, how fabulous were those Dredd shuggy panels?!

Finally, a sequel we didn't even know we needed. Is Quilli set to be the new Abelard Snazz? Things have certainly escalated since the first installment.

Magnetica

Quote from: Geoff on 05 June, 2019, 11:28:52 PM
Mmn oh dear, there's always one I suppose...

I really didn't like the cover or the Terror Tale.  I don't find this Quilli creature or the set up very engaging and I'm afraid I don't really like the art...I find it rather rough round the edges and the cover especially so.  It's clear many do though, and the Hitchcock droid is clearly a good egg, but there it is..

The Terror Tale didn't do much for me. Wasn't enough of a twist.

Frank

Quote from: norton canes on 06 June, 2019, 11:52:59 AM
Scarlet Traces great, though I presume that in this alternate universe the Pebble Mill Studios weren't demolished in 2005

Can't blame anyone for not remembering the first part of this story, which feels like it happened in another age, but this series takes place in the Sgt Pepper Cinematic Universe:

A signal was sent - in a story where Giant berates Dredd for his emotional inarticulacy - but not on a frequency that can be heard. Almost seems like some kind of metaphor ... no, stumped me. One for the limp-wristers in the Arts lab.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 06 June, 2019, 01:38:18 PM
The Terror Tale didn't do much for me. Wasn't enough of a twist.

Do Terror Tales require a twist?  Future Shocks and Time Twisters do, certainly, it's in the name, but by extension I imagine Terror Tales aim to be tales of terror... creating something unsettling and/or horrific, which for my money this one does quite admirably.  Quili himheritself might be a bit silly on a superficial level, but the circumstances of the family, the cultists and the reporter, they're pretty darn grim.  I liked it!

geronimo

Do Terror Tales require a twist?

I thought this should have ended with a 'To Be Continued', as it seems like a set-up for more rather than a complete tale in itself.

TordelBack

You're not wrong.  I assume there's at least a third part in the offing. Nice to have the one-off slot shaken up a bit like that, shades of Abelard Snazz.

Magnetica

Re "do Terror Tales require a twist?".

For me, they require something more than just something nasty happens. Maybe I just don't like them, and find them fairly unsatisfying.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 June, 2019, 02:13:04 PMIf you don't embrace this with glee you don't get Dredd, not my Dredd at least.

Objectively, this is a well-written story by an intelligent and skilful writer, and I admire the fact that he's taken Giant under his wing and is making use of him. Subjectively though, I couldn't get on with it. It's a great idea for a story, but the characterisation of Dredd and Giant just didn't ring true. It did help me figure out why I struggle to get into the writer's work in general though - when I see it discussed, I can appreciate the thematic underpinnings and the obvious intelligence and craft that go into it. When I read it, it all feels oddly flat and unsatisfying. Maybe I've just become a lazy reader, and Williams demands more active involvement than I'm prepared to give.