Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Quote from: Satanist

The 360 controls are the best and thats the end of that. It was actually designed to erm control games.

You can use a 360 controller on a PC.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Banners on 02 September, 2014, 12:17:22 PM

The 360 controls are the best and thats the end of that. It was actually designed to erm control games.

S'funny, I tried to do that to see if it improved my PC bad Company 2 scores, but I couldn't get the PC to recogniose the controller. 

Mind you, I was using a wireless, with the charging cable plugged into a USB port - maybe that was the problem?  Presumably it's only direct-wired 360 controllers that work on a PC?

Satanist

Quote from: Banners on 02 September, 2014, 12:17:22 PM

Yeah I gave a mate one of my spares so he could do exactly that.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

So, it's what? Fifteen years since the PS2 was released? I still can't use any thumbstick based controller properly. Particularly for variable control, such as walk/run based on how far you push, I just can't get to grips with it.

Trying to control anything with a mouse is equally impossible. Bring back the Quickshot II.

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 30 August, 2014, 12:09:43 AM
Resident evil 4 on GameCube was designed for CRT tv's so its native display is 4:3 ratio.on a widescreen of hd tv it's going to stretch and zoom in on the image probably with horrible black borders.Fantastic game borrow an old tv and get stuck in.i envy you your first play through.wii version is the definitive version if you want to play on a hd tv.
Thanks. I'm actually trying to play it on a 19" square panel TV and the image is truncated to the right with seemingly no way to resize it to display the full thing letterboxed.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Ooh! I wonder what the Wii version will look like played through the Wii U. We've managed to get an HD TV for the games console now!).

And speaking of controls, I think the Wii Remote and Nunchuk set up is absolutely fab for FPS. Admittedly, I don't play them much (or competitively) but the "point at what you want to shoot" is surely about as natural an interface as you can get?

(And the overshoulder view moving to nearer FPS view to target in Resi 4 works well)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Satanist on 02 September, 2014, 12:00:33 PMAs stated above the PS4 controls are a SNES pad minus the good D-pad with 2 sticks glued on and now a pointless touch pad right in the middle of it. Oh and it also lights up.

It also has a speaker so that while playing some games you hear what sounds like games noises coming from earphones in a matchbox, and a microphone so you can tell a lady ghost in this one game to fuck off and she does.

To my Luddite mind they nailed console controllers early around the Megadrive/SNES era, in much the same way they nailed down the keyboard/mouse layout for pc gaming, although it's pretty awesome we can still argue about which is the best gamepad despite their being exactly the fucking same apart from Microsoft swapping the d-pad and left thumbstick around for no other reason than to avoid being sued - which is, of course, the only time ever they have done such a thing.

/uses Windows 7 to go into Internet Explorer and opens Outlook in a separate tab

Link Prime

I'll surprise everyone with a pro-Nintendo stance, but goddamn, I always thought the GameCube controller felt absolutely perfect.

Satanist

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 September, 2014, 01:21:27 PM
I'll surprise everyone with a pro-Nintendo stance, but goddamn, I always thought the GameCube controller felt absolutely perfect.

Now you're fuckin talking! Despite looking like something a 2 year should be chewing on it is a lovely controller. Always wanted a Wavebird but was a tad to pricey at the time.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

Gamecube controller is great apart from the placement and feel of the Z button.
What the Gamecube controller got right (and I'm surprised the idea was left behind) was that the A,B,X and Y buttons were all different shapes, giving them a different tactile feel and meaning that you would never press the wrong button by mistake.

Professor Bear

I think what helps affection for the GC pad is how many great proprietary games there were for the Gamecube that were designed to be played with the GC pad specifically.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 02 September, 2014, 12:20:16 PM
Mind you, I was using a wireless, with the charging cable plugged into a USB port - maybe that was the problem?  Presumably it's only direct-wired 360 controllers that work on a PC?

Yup, only the very latest edition of the wireless pads can be used on the PC. But all the old wired ones can be

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 02 September, 2014, 02:17:47 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 02 September, 2014, 12:20:16 PM

Yup, only the very latest edition of the wireless pads can be used on the PC. But all the old wired ones can be

Aha!  Therein lies the problem - cheers!  I may well invest in an old wired one for my PC then, and give Titanfall a go on the controller.

Quote from: Satanist on 02 September, 2014, 01:28:53 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 02 September, 2014, 01:21:27 PM

Now you're fuckin talking! Despite looking like something a 2 year should be chewing on it is a lovely controller. Always wanted a Wavebird but was a tad to pricey at the time.

I had a Wavebird (in fact, I may still do, in amongst one of my boxes of gaming clutter), and can attest to it's awesomeness.  I think that was the first wireless controller I ever owned. 

I too loved the Gamecube controller, including for the aforementioned different AB/XY buttons.  Rogue Squadron was a dream to play using it.

Zenith 666

Goddamn you guys.Digging out GameCube tonight.ikaruga first I think.

Theblazeuk

Sorry to divert into tech support - but just so you know Shaolin it doesn't tend to be plug n' play, you will have to get the drivers off Microsoft too http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Love my 360 pad has served its time on both housemates consoles and my PC; was a must for Psychonauts and Batman...

Banners

Quote from: Zenith
Goddamn you guys.Digging out GameCube tonight.ikaruga first I think.

Do you rotate your monitor for Ikaruga? I played it with my 2560×1440 screen rotated 90° which was quite a laugh, but highly impractical.