Main Menu

DC to relaunch with 52 #1's

Started by briantm, 01 June, 2011, 02:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Hmmm. The only bit of news that interests me today is Stormwatch, and that's solely because of the combination of Paul Cornell with the Martian Manhunter. The Wildstorm / Authority thing is not my bag.

And in sort-of related news, Marvel is apparently winding up Uncanny X-Men (and then presumably restarting from #1). Which would have been the longest surviving US comic without a break in its consecutive numbering, once the DC big hitters were rebooted.

Emperor

What is looking like a finalised (ish) list (although there are still some announcements to be made, so there still could be some surprises):

www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/those-52-dc-comics-issue-ones-and-what-and-who-is-missing/

Hitler's reaction:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpUh_Yl49l4
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 10 June, 2011, 04:31:01 PM
What is looking like a finalised (ish) list (although there are still some announcements to be made, so there still could be some surprises):

Hmf. I was rather enjoying Zatanna, being one of the few mainstream titles on the stands that was both fun and didn't require me to buy twelve other fucking comics to understand what was going on.

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

He's got a point, has Adolf.

Didn't think I'd ever type that...

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 June, 2011, 05:33:44 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 10 June, 2011, 04:31:01 PM

Hmf. I was rather enjoying Zatanna, being one of the few mainstream titles on the stands that was both fun and didn't require me to buy twelve other fucking comics to understand what was going on.

She is in JL Dark with Constantine written by Peter Miligan, which could be interesting, if you can get over the fact her fishnets are now on her arms.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Ignatzmonster

I'm pretty pissed about how they've treated Gail Simone. Took her off Birds of Prey and cancelled Secret Six. They were two of the most entertaining books DC was publishing. Well, what else can you expect when you've got two giant hacks behind the steering wheel.

Colin YNWA

Busy day tired after week of speculation and announcements drained of emotional energy after todays delayed news. Need sleep, nerded out...

...can't get pull list less than 18 titles (with 4 in reserve)...

...DC has beaten wallet to pulp...

...more tomorrow...

must return to family...

....and real world...

UHHHHH Morrison and Rags are doing Action Comics that's superb!

Emperor

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 June, 2011, 09:44:05 PMUHHHHH Morrison and Rags are doing Action Comics that's superb!

Yes indeed, good news:

www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/dc-relaunch-grant-morrison-and-rags-morales-on-action-comics-1/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 10 June, 2011, 08:54:11 PMif you can get over the fact her fishnets are now on her arms.

And the fact that that John Constantine is in a fucking superhero team.

FOR.

FUCK'S.

SAKE.

Jim

Emp

ah...on a team ...the last resort for a failing franchise!

Emperor

The full solicitations:

www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/those-52-issue-one-solicitations-in-full/

Emperor

From the official blurb for Action Comics #1:

QuoteThis momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn't trust their first Super Hero.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/10/history-happens-now/

From a GM interview in February 2011 (when he must have already been writing this):

QuoteBut I love all the different versions, even the ones that are very different from "All Star Superman." I think if I was to do it again, for instance, I'd like to do the early Superman, who just lifts trucks and who can be hurt by a bursting shell. I'd like to do something really interesting with that guy. The young, angry Superman. The different versions always fascinate me because they all add up to this huge, gigantic, multi-generational story. It's something quite unique.

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30943

And then from 2008:

QuoteAnd I wanted to do a story of Superman's first year in Metropolis when he wasn't so powerful and he was a bit more of a liberal activist. And to do that kind of Superman, the big heavy guy who can only pick up trucks and be killed by an exploding shell, you can kind of do that as the first year and see the differences between that guy and the incredibly powerful, self-assured man-god in the main All Star Superman book. So those are the three stories I came up with and as I say, they were slightly off the main storyline but related to it so I hope to do those when the current workload eases up because as I say I could just keep doing that Superman stuff forever.

www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16045

So he has clearly been thinking about this since All-Star Superman, as this is the other end of the story - where his solar batteries aren't yet fully-charged, so he can only leap tall buildings and is still not completely invulnerable. It should be good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 June, 2011, 12:56:37 AM

And the fact that that John Constantine is in a fucking superhero team.

Its worth remembering that will be the DCU Constantine. The Vertigo one in Hellblazer will remain unconnected and married etc.

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 10 June, 2011, 09:39:42 PM
I'm pretty pissed about how they've treated Gail Simone. Took her off Birds of Prey and cancelled Secret Six. They were two of the most entertaining books DC was publishing.

I'll really miss Secret Six, brilliant title. Still will follow Gail Simone's work on whatever and look forward to seeing what she does with Barbara Gordon in particular.

Greg M.

I have very little doubt that Action Comics will swiftly become my most awaited read each month (unless it's a month when Wagner is on Dredd or Dante is in the prog.) All-Star Superman remains an absolute high point of Grant's comics career and it will be interesting to see him tackle Superman from the other end of the power scale. I had hoped to see Grant on more than one comic, but I suppose he was only on one before, and he's undoubtedly a very busy chap.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 June, 2011, 06:51:34 AM
Its worth remembering that will be the DCU Constantine.

Again:

FOR.

FUCK'S.

SAKE.

This is just idiotic, and is the path that leads to the cretinous situation that Marvel have ended up with, where one character can conceivably have Max, Ultimate, Noir, Zombie and Regular versions and a casual reader (remember them?) has no fucking clue what's going on with any of them.

Absolute fucking madness. Why didn't they just co-opt Willoughby Kipling, since he was specifically invented to fill a gap where John Constantine was supposed to be in a Doom Patrol story, but DC editorial wouldn't let Morrison use him. (Hard to imagine typing that sentence about any comic published today!)

Sorry, Colin -- that rant wasn't aimed at you!

Cheers

Jim