Main Menu

Lawless 2024

Started by GoGilesGo, 17 December, 2023, 08:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Marbles on 29 April, 2024, 09:31:22 PMBut are waits like that normal at Lawless as well ?

I haven't actually queued up for anything at the con, but I'm pretty sure Lawless has a limit on tickets at about ~350, so if every single punter there all decided to queue up for the same creator at the same time, you might be looking at a multi-hour wait, but it seems unlikely.

Pretty sure Brian Bolland had the longest queue last time — dunno if anyone on the forum got anything signed by Brian last year and can report on queuing time...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trooper McFad

I've never had to queue that long for a sketch but I've had to leave my name & character and go back later that day to pick up a sketch especially if you are there right till the end (Dan Cornwell and Clint Langley are a couple had to come back for but they were well worth it. But most I've had sketched in front of you and boy it's amazing to see these things appear in front of you (Henry Flint and John Higgins are 2 that stand out among the many)
I'm managing around 4 sketches per day of attending.
But the talks and atmosphere are well worth it and I recommend a visit to Lyndon's table in the traders room for some cracking sketches.
Enjoy your day and wear a red carnation and I'll say Hi
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

I can also confirm you definitely won't have a giant wait for a sketch. Everyone I've had one from at Lawless either did it there and then, or asked me to pop back later for it as I was there both days, and there's rarely a queue, more just a few guys hanging around the tables chatting. It's a really nice atmosphere.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 April, 2024, 04:48:25 PMLet's see how a nights sleep does for it all...

So, will we be seeing you there Colin?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pauljholden

Quote from: Marbles on 29 April, 2024, 09:31:22 PMI'm going to Lawless for the first time this year (just the Saturday). Mainly hoping to get some sketches. I've only been to one other Con, NICE in Bedford last year. That was great but queued over 3 hours to get an Alan Davis sketch of the good Captain (not that I regret it of course, well worth it).

But are waits like that normal at Lawless as well ? If I want to get something from say Chris Weston or Pye Parr or Glenn Fabry, do I realistically need to just choose one to make a bee-line for and then wait it out ?? As I say, this will be my second show so don't know what's 'normal' is in terms of waiting times.

You'll run out of money before you run out of patience :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 May, 2024, 10:07:36 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 April, 2024, 04:48:25 PMLet's see how a nights sleep does for it all...

So, will we be seeing you there Colin?

I had a go at a booking hotel this weekend and now I'm just playing chicken with the hotel prices so think I am.

Marbles

I already have one of your pages on my wall PJ, but you may well see me in your queue asking for a Noam Chimpsky  :D
Remember - dry hair is for squids

pauljholden

Quote from: Marbles on 01 May, 2024, 12:25:49 PMI already have one of your pages on my wall PJ, but you may well see me in your queue asking for a Noam Chimpsky  :D

Monkey's Drawn While-U-Wait - that's the PJ guarantee.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 May, 2024, 12:02:41 PMI had a go at a booking hotel this weekend and now I'm just playing chicken with the hotel prices so think I am.

Hooray!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 May, 2024, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 May, 2024, 12:02:41 PMI had a go at a booking hotel this weekend and now I'm just playing chicken with the hotel prices so think I am.

Hooray!

Well that's super kind. Since I've just booked ticket, hotel and train its looks like I'm defo, defo in.

Let's see how happy you are when I actually see you - would be lovely to arrange a meet up but I'll also see if I can dig out my forum avatar badge that served me so well at the 40th.

Really looking forward to this now and meeting as many of you as possible.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 May, 2024, 02:48:05 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 May, 2024, 02:04:33 PM

Hooray!

Well that's super kind. Since I've just booked ticket, hotel and train its looks like I'm defo, defo in.

Let's see how happy you are when I actually see you - would be lovely to arrange a meet up but I'll also see if I can dig out my forum avatar badge that served me so well at the 40th.

Really looking forward to this now and meeting as many of you as possible.
Great to hear you are going - is it both days?
Just look for a mad Scotsman and his sidekick (wife) and say Hi.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 06 May, 2024, 03:41:32 PMGreat to hear you are going - is it both days?
Just look for a mad Scotsman and his sidekick (wife) and say Hi.

Yep got a very early train on Saturday morning which will get me there for the start and my train back is early afternoon on Sunday so will get to most things Sunday and can play out Saturday night , if folks aren't at this gala thinkie.

Looking forward to meeting you with any luck Trooper McFad.

Le Fink

I hope to bump into you all. I've slightly madly got a T-shirt made with my avatar so I'll be wandering around looking like a deranged perfume advert. So I'll be easy to avoid, at least. Anyway I'm a proper Southerner, tall slim glasses-wearing nerdy type, middle of age. Look forward to meeting some fellow boarders.

Le Fink

Quote from: pauljholden on 01 May, 2024, 01:12:10 PM
Quote from: Marbles on 01 May, 2024, 12:25:49 PMI already have one of your pages on my wall PJ, but you may well see me in your queue asking for a Noam Chimpsky  :D

I'm going to take this at face value, in which case EXCELLENT, I'll be in that queue too!

If I say I think Noam's an ape, rather than a monkey, that's not going to help my chances for a sketch though, is it? So I definitely won't mention that. Nope.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Le Fink on 06 May, 2024, 04:29:43 PMI hope to bump into you all. I've slightly madly got a T-shirt made with my avatar so I'll be wandering around looking like a deranged perfume advert. So I'll be easy to avoid, at least. Anyway I'm a proper Southerner, tall slim glasses-wearing nerdy type, middle of age. Look forward to meeting some fellow boarders.

Cool Beans. I'll defo look out for you.

I'm proper northern (well from Merseyside and Sheffield so the south of proper northern) and look like a typical Sheffield Gammon (while promising I'm not a gammon and have much more liberal views!). Bald, middle aged and probably a little red of face by the time I arrive (though pasty and gray I'd imagine on Sunday if Saturday evening is as much fun as other cons I've attended!). Overweight of course too - but this is were the Sheffield comes in - but an inability to avoid middleclass outdoor excerise so infecting the middleclass parts of Sheffield mean there's hints I'm trying to do something about it... trying...

pauljholden

Quote from: Le Fink on 06 May, 2024, 04:40:04 PM
Quote from: pauljholden on 01 May, 2024, 01:12:10 PM

I'm going to take this at face value, in which case EXCELLENT, I'll be in that queue too!

If I say I think Noam's an ape, rather than a monkey, that's not going to help my chances for a sketch though, is it? So I definitely won't mention that. Nope.

Apes, I'm afraid will take longer.