Main Menu

Steve Dillon back on Dredd...

Started by robert_ellis, 19 September, 2015, 07:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

...or anything else? I just got this lovely Judge Anderson sketch from him at NICE - the Bedford comic con. I asked him about 2000ad in the future?. Tharg make this happen!

Geoff

I'll second that, on Dredd or absolutely anything else..

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 19 September, 2015, 07:37:39 PM
...I asked him about 2000ad in the future?

Well you must know more than we do, then! What did he say?
@jamesfeistdraws

Banners

There's a subject title to make your heart skip a beat...(!)

Colin YNWA

Richard

Dillon's a great artist. It's a shame he didn't do more Dredd when he was a 2000AD regular.

Tjm86

This is probably likely to get me excommunicated but personally I've always felt that he is one of the few artists that hasn't improved with age.  His early Dredd stuff (Alone in a Crowd is my all time favourite Dredd one off and on my grail list) seems more detailed and intricate.  His Preacher and Punisher stuff seemed to lack depth at times.  It would be interesting to see what he does if he returns to Dredd mind.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 September, 2015, 05:34:19 PM
This is probably likely to get me excommunicated but personally I've always felt that he is one of the few artists that hasn't improved with age.  His early Dredd stuff (Alone in a Crowd is my all time favourite Dredd one off and on my grail list) seems more detailed and intricate.  His Preacher and Punisher stuff seemed to lack depth at times.  It would be interesting to see what he does if he returns to Dredd mind.

You're not the only one who thinks that.  I'm hoping it's just that the time pressures of 21(?) pages per month for US comics means he had less time to devote to Hellblazer and Preacher than when he was on Dredd and Rogue Trooper.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 20 September, 2015, 06:22:41 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 September, 2015, 05:34:19 PM

You're not the only one who thinks that.  I'm hoping it's just that the time pressures of 21(?) pages per month for US comics means he had less time to devote to Hellblazer and Preacher than when he was on Dredd and Rogue Trooper.

I think you're spot on, Sheridan.
Dillon has a well earned rep for being able to keep a monthly comic on schedule- almost 6 years of Preacher, and I don't believe he missed a single deadline.

I too agree that some of his Dredd work (his episodes of City of the Damned are a personal favorite) is superior to some of his U.S. work, speed being the likely reason for reduced detail in some cases.
Overall I couldn't fault him as an artist. In my view an expert at page layout and facial expression.
I'd love to see him back on Dredd for a stint, or pretty much anything in the Prog.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 September, 2015, 12:32:14 PM
I too agree that some of his Dredd work (his episodes of City of the Damned are a personal favorite) is superior to some of his U.S. work, speed being the likely reason for reduced detail in some cases.

Including the ones he had to draw twice in one week?  Can't get much faster than that!  I agree that Dillon's spare-looking US work can seem a bit bland, but the professional story-telling and the consistency more than makes up for it.  He's not an artist to be judged by a single page, but by the 100s.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 September, 2015, 01:05:38 PM
Including the ones he had to draw twice in one week? 

Haven't heard that tale before- was it City of the Damned he had to re-draw?

Now that you mention it, didn't he ink 'Bad Company: Simply' in a couple of hours at a convention?
The man has skill under pressure.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 September, 2015, 01:19:27 PM

Now that you mention it, didn't he ink 'Bad Company: Simply' in a couple of hours at a convention?

This is the City of the Damned re-draw:

http://stevedillonart.tumblr.com/post/94621552118/from-prog-610-behind-the-locked-doors-of-the

Link Prime

Tjm86

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 September, 2015, 02:26:40 PM

http://stevedillonart.tumblr.com/post/94621552118/from-prog-610-behind-the-locked-doors-of-the

Didn't they find the missing pages a few years later and reprint them side by side in the prog?  Around about 600 IIRC.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 21 September, 2015, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 September, 2015, 02:26:40 PM

Didn't they find the missing pages a few years later and reprint them side by side in the prog?  Around about 600 IIRC.

Prog 610 I believe.